Went a different route with my Vaquero's audio system - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 10-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
soflovaq

All I can about the Polk audio speakers are that they "marine rated" and are made to handle the water. That said, when I was in GA last month the bike sat outside overnight in a torrential rain storm. There was a big puddle of water sitting in the speakers. They still work great.
I looked at the Infinity speakers also but went with the Polks just because of the possibilities of inclement weather. If there is a possibility of rain it always seems to find me.
soflovaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
Einstein
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Thanks for the tip on these speakers Ray, they kick butt with the amp. The sound is so much better than the HogTunes which were so much better than stock, and with the amp they really do punch thru the bike and wind noise. I like the directional tweeters although I haven't been able to really determine the +/- of the 0dB or -3dB switch. Seems to effect the bass to me but I have really old ears.

I found them at Amazon for a reall nice price and since I have a shipping division here down the road a piece they delivered the next day for $5 more. Yesterday I put one in like you and was amazed at the difference, put the 2nd one in today and went out for a ride across town and back what a difference. Based on the material composition of the cones i think they should stand up to the elements pretty good but time will tell, we don't get that much rain anyway.

Amazon Amazon
<SOLD> 2004 BobRR
VROC #9925
Dinosaur R/G #128
Phoenix, AZ
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
wbilotta
Top Contributor

This is the Sony Xplode amp I installed in my fairing.

And this is a short video:

2010 Voyager 1700 ABS with heated seats, Grasshopper backrest, Kuryakyn highway pegs and an Ipod because the radio reception fades in and out. Also has a gear whine, fuel gauge that fluctuates too much and a pathetic cooling system.

Last edited by wbilotta; 10-30-2012 at 10:27 AM.
wbilotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #14
king_arthur1953
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbilotta View Post
This is the Sony Xplode amp I installed in my fairing.

And this is a short video:

Can you give me a model # for the sony amp?
President North Arkansas HonorBound Motorcycle Ministries
President/Founder "Wounded Spirit Ministries Inc."
Patriot Guard Rider

USAF 1971-19752010 Voyager 1700 ABS
Kawasaki CB Radio, J&B Elite headset, Ray's Throttle Mod, Road Commander II, Sagebrush Whale Tail Tank Bib, Firestik NGP CB antenna, Firestick AM/FM antenna eliminator, Amsoil engine oil and coolant
king_arthur1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #15
ta-kid

Well I had ordered some MH industries Rumble Road non amplified speakers, and with my trunk off I wanted rear speakers,so I mounted them on either side of the seat.I originally had them down on the saddle bag crash bars but could not hear them without really cranking the volumn up and then there was lots of distortion.So after reading this thread on the power pucks I ordered a pair and installed them on the rear speakers only ,as they are only 4 inch diameter ,unlike the front 5 1/4 inch speakers and need the amplification and cleaner sound.I must say these power pucks do a really good job of balancing the sound and volume.
Ray,you were talking about how the Gain adjustment tended to increase distortion if cranked too high,but I found if you turn the match adjustment lower you can add more gain output.I Still have to get out on the road and test on a ride,but much improved sound with the power pucks, if there are any doubters out there.I have also ordered a pair of Infinity speakers to replace the fronts ,but I am going to try them without power pucks to start with.
By the way I used the tool box under the seat as a location for the power pucks ,which worked out great with the accessory power right there with a ground.Pics later to come.

Last edited by ta-kid; 02-18-2013 at 04:31 PM.
ta-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
RACNRAY
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta-kid View Post
Well I had ordered some CH industries Rumble Road non amplified speakers, and with my trunk off I wanted rear speakers,so I mounted them on either side of the seat.I originally had them down on the saddle bag crash bars but could not hear them without really cranking the volumn up and then there was lots of distortion.So after reading this thread on the power pucks I ordered a pair and installed them on the rear speakers only ,as they are only 4 inch diameter ,unlike the front 5 1/4 inch speakers and need the amplification and cleaner sound.I must say these power pucks do a really good job of balancing the sound and volume.
Ray,you were talking about how the Gain adjustment tended to increase distortion if cranked too high,but I found if you turn the match adjustment lower you can add more gain output.I Still have to get out on the road and test on a ride,but much improved sound with the power pucks, if there are any doubters out there.I have also ordered a pair of Infinity speakers to replace the fronts ,but I am going to try them without power pucks to start with.
By the way I used the tool box under the seat as a location for the power pucks ,which worked out great with the accessory power right there with a ground.Pics later to come.
Thanx for the info on the gain/match. How much of an improvement did it make when altering those settings the way you did.I just might go back in and give this a try. I did the adjustments with the H/T speakers, I have not made any re-adjustments with these Infinity speakers. I primarily listen to music off my Nano and some songs have lower volume, those I have to crank up and sometimes still have a problem with hearing the music.

RACNRAY
RACNRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #17
gofasternu

I installed power pucks front and rear along with polk audio speakers back in December. Much easier than installing an amp and no heat issues to worry about
gofasternu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #18
ta-kid

Ray,I discovered a slight differance when i did the intial adjustment,but I was pressed for time.I hope I can do a more indepth adjustment this weekend.But at least I hear a big volumn gain from the power pucks and since I moved them up by the seat ,I should hear them better cruising now.In the meantime I loaded some pics below on my rear speaker set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000266 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	127
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	15633   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000267 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	15641   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000272 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	15649   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000270 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	15657   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000271 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	111
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	15665  

Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #19
ta-kid

Well I did some fine tuning with my power pucks on my rear MH speaker set up and I found in the end that it was better to lower the Match and Gain settings a bit and compensate with the Boost feature for less distortion.But I am sure depending on your amp and speaker set up,everybody will be slightly different.
I also found it was better to increase the Match setting and lower the Gain setting.What I did was set all the bass,mid and treble at the neutral position on the the stock head unit,set the volumn at 15 to 20 range(pretty loud)but half way ,Turn the Boost adjustment on the PP units to "0" and balance the volumn between the front and rear using the recommended preset Match adjustment and then adjust the Gain for the volumn balance .Then tweak both Match and Gain for clearest cleanest sound.Ileft the tone adj half way and then used the boost for a loudness effect.Sounds pretty good now using Bass at #4 or 5 and mid at #2 and treble at #3.
My infinity replacement speakers for the front should be here this week,so now that I have basically a good setting for my Music done,it will be interesting how much change I will hear positive or negative on the quality of the overall sound once installed.I am assuming positive from what I have read on the forum,but most reviews with the infinity speakers are with an aftermarket amp or power pucks installed.
Having said the above,I have yet to go for a drive to hear how it sounds with wind turbelance in the background.

Last edited by ta-kid; 02-18-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #20
ta-kid

Ok,I got my Infinity speakers today and all I can say is what an improvement over stock.Mounted them in the front with no issues.Tried the 3 db button on the front when playing around with the fade and volumn and found pushing them in,activating the -3db effect, helped the overall surround sound effect.On my setup going to fade -3 was sometimes too much and -2 was not enough,so the DB button sorta made it like a fine tune of -2.5.Anyways,real happy with the infinity speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement