Yamaha road star 1700 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
Timb4302

Default Yamaha road star 1700

Hey all, my friend is buying a Yamaha roadstar 1700, it is a 2005 with 3800 miles on it.

Does anyone here have any experience with them? Knowing my buddy I may end up with this bike. I currently have a Vulcan 800 and would love to have a bigger cruiser!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Timb4302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
rburton1224

Garage

I had a 1999 Yamaha Roadstar Siverado. Loved it! It handled very well and was very dependable. It had the stock seat on it, I would recommend a Mustang seat. It only got about 35-38 MPG; that was a carb and yours will have fuel injection. It is a very good choice for a bike. I would buy another one in a heartbeat!
rburton1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Timb4302

Looking arc the specs it says the 2005 is still carbed.

Thank you for your input! This site is awesome, just a wealth of knowledge.

I could only imagine the posts on a Harley site if you asked about another brand bike. LMAO

"Damn, buying a Yamaha, but I am going to have to go commando with my drawers because Yamaha doesn't make underwear"

Reply, "you are buying a Yamaha? What are you nuts, with your Harley you get to pay more, bullshit with all the guys in the service shop twice a week and you can buy all of your clothes for ridiculously high prices while your waiting. Best of all you get to vibrate your nuts off on every ride you take in between service shop visits....."

Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
Timb4302

H-A-R-L-E-Y= Hanging At Roadside Letting Everyone Yap!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Strompilot
Top Contributor

I rode a 1700 Roadstar once. It was a comfortable bike with plenty of power, but it seemed like a slow handling bike. To be fair, I suspect the tires were a bit underinflated. The only other thing was that it vibrated more than I thought it would. Still, I thought it was a pretty cool bike. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

Now, that Stratoliner is a whole 'nother thing. I like that bike, and I once came very close to picking one up, but it just didn't make sense having a bike with that big an engine and only a 4.3 gallon gas tank. I guess it would have been a never-pass-any-gas station experience.

'09 650 VStrom

Last edited by Strompilot; 11-29-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I rode / helped build a severely modified 1700 road star. (Tons of chrome, everything that could be relocated WAS so that only the cylinders and air cleaner were visible, 16" apes, 300 rear tire, etc.)

But it was a sweet ride! Lots of power, the motor sounds absolutely FANTASTIC with the right pipes. One of the better sounding V-Twins out there, IMO. They also look good with lots of chrome!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
Strompilot
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I rode / helped build a severely modified 1700 road star. (Tons of chrome, everything that could be relocated WAS so that only the cylinders and air cleaner were visible, 16" apes, 300 rear tire, etc.)

But it was a sweet ride! Lots of power, the motor sounds absolutely FANTASTIC with the right pipes. One of the better sounding V-Twins out there, IMO. They also look good with lots of chrome!
Yup, the Roadstar is one good-looking motorcycle. The owner of the one I rode (he was my insurance agent) had had his custom painted and loaded with chrome. Sure was pretty. I guess to sum up my riding impression of the bike, I would have to say I felt that I would be very tired after riding it all day. It's a big heavy bike, and it reminds you of that all the time. I had the same riding impression of my buddy's VTX1800, too. Loved the bike, but it was just a little too much work to ride it. At least the way I like to ride, anyway. That's what I like about the Vulcan, it's light and very easy to ride. Even the Nomad 1700 was easy to ride compared to the VTX and the Roadstar.

'09 650 VStrom
Old 11-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Timb4302

Rides like a dream, but I would still hop on my vn800 over it!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Aussie.Nomad
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strompilot View Post
Yup, the Roadstar is one good-looking motorcycle. The owner of the one I rode (he was my insurance agent) had had his custom painted and loaded with chrome. Sure was pretty. I guess to sum up my riding impression of the bike, I would have to say I felt that I would be very tired after riding it all day. It's a big heavy bike, and it reminds you of that all the time. I had the same riding impression of my buddy's VTX1800, too. Loved the bike, but it was just a little too much work to ride it. At least the way I like to ride, anyway. That's what I like about the Vulcan, it's light and very easy to ride. Even the Nomad 1700 was easy to ride compared to the VTX and the Roadstar.
Have a 2000 Roadstar & have put 208,000 trouble free kilometres on it.
It is a great bike & love it, but have gone for a 1700 Nomad now, as it is more comfortable for the wife.
Also, I agree that the Nomad does feel a lot lighter up top, than the Roadstar.
Still have Star, but may have to sell??
Aussie.Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
Strompilot
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie.Nomad View Post
Have a 2000 Roadstar & have put 208,000 trouble free kilometres on it.
It is a great bike & love it, but have gone for a 1700 Nomad now, as it is more comfortable for the wife.
Also, I agree that the Nomad does feel a lot lighter up top, than the Roadstar.
Still have Star, but may have to sell??

When I had my 1700 Nomad, my wife, who is a staunch "I-don't-want-to-ride-in-the-the-backseat" person, because she rides her own bike, even said that the passenger seat was pretty comfortable.

I think the basic difference between the Nomad and the Roadstar is that you are more stretched out on the Roadstar, and that can get uncomfortable fairly quickly, as all you weight is straight down on your tailbone and "sit" bones. I don't think you'll regret going to the Nomad.

'09 650 VStrom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement