Swinging arm bearings going, belt rubbing? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 11-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #11
1st One

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryge View Post
If your going to take the belt off you might be able to reverse it and give it a try. Not sure if the belt is one directional.
IT IS Directional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #12
Replay13

The belt is directional. If it started doing that all at once the first thing I would check is for asphalt or rocks or junk in the belt or back sprocket, that would push the belt over till it rubbed sometimes.

Also the belt should run close to the left (outside) but not rubbing, that is the way it is designed. Did you just change a tire, how is the rubber dampers seating where the sprocket fits in the hub (is the sprocket running true).

Shouldn't be any play in the swingarm, I would fix that right away. That could cause wobble. Have to pull the header pipes off to get the swingarm bolt out, so order some gaskets. The rest is basic stuff that you take off anyways to change a tire. Good time to change the belt if it needs it, it might be the problem like was said above.

Good luck and keep us posted,
James
Replay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
Replay13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Newnham View Post
The real bad news is both the front and rear pulleys are worn on the inside of the teeth so the belt is riding up the teeth to the left and rubbing on both the front and rear left hand side pulley guides.
Will keep trying :-(
Any idea what caused all the wear on the sprockets, maybe some rocks or something that got caught in the belt? Good luck getting the swinging arm bolt out, have you tried driving it out with a brass rod?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
Neil Newnham

I am not sure what has caused the wear but the pattern of wear seems to be consistent on all the teeth on both pulleys.

Last edited by Neil Newnham; 12-19-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Neil Newnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
Aussie.Nomad
Lifetime Premium

To my untrained eye, it looks like the alignment was not true & also, maybe too tight.
Also, those indentatations, could be from small stones being caught up in it
Aussie.Nomad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
davidsheek
Top Contributor

Garage

Wow, that's amazing. I bet Aussie is right.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
davidsheek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
Neil Newnham

The really frustrating thing is that I checked every tyre change and the wheel alignment looked correct. The belt has also worn more on the left hand side than the right hand side which corresponds to the wear on the pulleys.
Neil Newnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
Bubba in TX
Lifetime Premium

Garage

I have seen too tight belts wear away teeth, they looked just like that, worn more to one side, but I have never seen one that bad.... that's the reason I loosened my belt a lot the day I got it. For my own opinion/experience (do not want to get that can of worms open again) ... it was way way too tight out of the box. The little divots look like gravel gouges....

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 12-14-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Bubba in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #19
Replay13

Wow, thats plain nasty! Hard to believe just the belt did that.... btw: what did the belt look like?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #20
VGER

Unhappy

I believe the you are now experiencing the same problem I have just corrected with my 2009 Voyager.

I would recommend the closely inspect both front and rear drive pulleys for signs of wear. On my Voyager without removing the saddlebags belt covers output shaft cover and belt, my pulleys appeared to be okay, and the belt did not appear worn. However, once I did remove all of those items and closely inspected drive pulleys there were obvious signs of wear which did cause the belt to drift over to the side and Rub the outer edge of both pulleys creating a sound that almost sounded like a metal on metal squeal.

Correcting this is not inexpensive. I have just posted an update thread entitled update - Voyager belt squeal.

I'm afraid the only way you're going to correct this is to replace both drive pulleys and your belt.
VGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement