half caddman mod..resistor? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1600

Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
pittdave

Default half caddman mod..resistor?

I've finished up the half caddman mod with the Spectre Air Filter and do notice the added torque. I still have the stock pipes in place and need to know if I need to do the resistor mod. I am planning on going to new pipes and a processor but should I add the resistor in the meantime. I don't want to be too lean, but honestly, I havent noticed much pinging at all with my current setup. I need to check my plug color to see how they are doing now.

If you add the resistor, do you need to take it back out if you then add the processor, or can you just adjust the processor with it in place

as an update.. i checked my plugs and the right side seemed a little pale whereas the left we much darker. So I am not exactly sure about what setup I should use

Last edited by pittdave; 11-27-2012 at 09:09 PM.
pittdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Busboy

Pittdave, u shouldn't have a problem running like that until u install the pipes n processor. These bikes don't run excessively lean to worry abt. As for the resistor, u may not need to add it now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Vulcan VN1600 Classic '06
Fitted: tachometer, genuine windshield, K Drive hard bags, upgraded Meanstreak clutch spring with Judges washers, Cobra Speedster Longshots, Dobeck TFI controller, Chucksters air filter plate, Mustang seats with drivers backrest.

Up coming items: volt meter, oil and temp gauges.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
pittdave

my main goal here is performance(isnt that always the case).. Ive noticed the best gain from the Caddman mod is at mid-throttle.. low end still needs some uumph and the top end is better but not as much as the mid-range. Does the resistor give you the same kind of extra punch the processor is supposed to give or does it just eliminate pinging and nothing else

Most of the resistor talk is around warmer weather, so this may not be the best time for it, but if its easy enough and cheap enough and does the same as the processor, i would like to add that in for the extra HP
Old 11-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
Busboy

All the resistor does is to tell the ECU that the throttle is open a little bit more so more fuel gets injected to help eliminate the ping.
The fuel processor adjusts the opening time of the injectors to allow more fuel to be injected. These settings can be adjusted to be more richer whereas the resistor is only 1 adjustment throughout the throttle range.
Fitted: tachometer, genuine windshield, K Drive hard bags, upgraded Meanstreak clutch spring with Judges washers, Cobra Speedster Longshots, Dobeck TFI controller, Chucksters air filter plate, Mustang seats with drivers backrest.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #5
pittdave

but does the resistor give any performance gain or do you need the processor for that
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Busboy

No it doesn't.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
pittdave

So i went ahead and added the resistor. I went with the 1k and the response did seem smoother on the low end and maybe a little more punch overall and a little lower rumble from the exhaust note. Knowing I am not the best soldering guy, I guess its OK. I would assume if the connection was bad then I would have other issues if that wire wasnt going to the ECU. After the install, I did have some white smoke, but just from the rear cylinder and just when it was first warming up. I don't know if its related, but the rear(right) plugs were kinda white before i added in the resistor. My front(left) plugs were OK. I guess I need to run a couple of tanks to get a better idea
Old 11-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
Windburn Bill

pittdave...I added the resistor to my air temp sensor under the right air box cover a couple of years ago. I haven't noticed any negative effects from this mod. Here's a link to an older thread on this subject. Contained in that thread is another link to my original post and a link to the Gadgets fixit page that gives all the technical info on this mod. Theres a lot of good info here that should answer all your questions.

Link--> http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12875
Barons PB's, Flanders bars
Cobra True Duals
Hypercharger
Dobeck TFI
Mutazu HL hardbags
One off drivers back rest
Windburn Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
Vegas Vulcan

Hey Dave. I'm a brand new member here but have a lot of experience with this mod. I've had a resistor mod on my 1600 for 5 years now. I started out with a 1k when the intake and exhaust were stock because of excessive pinging. Most late model bikes run extremely lean because of EPA regulations, especially when the ambient temperature begins to rise, a big issue for me here in the desert. It cured my pinging immediately and gave me a noticeable change in performance and exhaust note.

I now have straight Cobra pipes with baffles and my intake is Chuckster's plates using a 3.3k ohm resistor. I've been running this way for 60,000 miles and no issues. What the temp sensor resistor actually does is fool the computer into thinking the ambient temperature is cooler so it increases the fuel. That's why these bikes have so much issue with detonation. The hotter it is where you're riding, the leaner the bike will run which is the exact opposite of what you need. You'll need to experiment with different level of resistance based on your climate and altitude. Just make sure you check the plugs after running the bike to make sure they have a nice light brown color to them and not sooty which would indicate running to rich.

Here's a pic of my intake setup.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I had the Spectre filter setup orignally for a short while. To get a snug seal against the filter you had to tighten the air box cover down fairly tight. Over time the pressure from the cover and the heat from the engine caused the factory back plate to warp. That's when I switched to Chuckster's plates.

Good luck.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic
2003 Vulcan 1500 Classic

Last edited by Vegas Vulcan; 11-30-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Vegas Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
pittdave

BEAST MODE!!!!!!
I think I have completed my setup. I gutted the pipes today. The bottom pipe only had one solid baffle and the top had two. I did not take out the ones in the front of the pipes. After the 1k resistor and the half caddman, this thing ABSOLUTELY HAULS! I cannot believe the difference from stock. I may go to the thunder intake and plate for a little better look and a little less air intake sound, but for now, I am lovin this scoot

An added note on gutting the pipes. I used a 1 1/8 hole saw. The Gadget mod says 1-3/16. Nobody had that size in stock (not even Grainger) So this is 1/16 short, but that difference is minimal. The sound is much better. I do now hear a little bit of popping on decel, but its nothing big and with the huge stock pipes it sounds cool. I also had some torque cones left over from my VN750 and I added those as well. I may have to check my front pipe seal and reset that if its not exactly in perfect.
I'll update after a tank or two and see what my MPG is doing. Supposed to be a nice weekend, so maybe I can get a ride in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement