Change your fluids! - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #21
twowheeladdict
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt7even View Post
Thanks for the tip. If you know where I can get those emulators for "a couple of extra dollars" let me know .
Go to http://www.racetech.com/page/id/128 to learn more about GVEs and what they can do for your bike. Hopefully, your local shop will have some experience installing them, or you can ship your forks to Traxxion Dynamics or Racetech to get them rebuilt.

Wish I had done mine sooner, but I wanted to wait until I needed to service the steering head bearings to pull the bike apart.

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #22
R_W_B
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerE View Post
. . . . . . . .
I also changed the front fork oil and frankly I don't know what the engineers were thinking when they created a design that requires you to take the whole front end of the bike apart. . . . . .
Some good replies on this thread, enjoyed reading all of them. My 2011 Nomad comes with DOT 4. I've had experience with DOT 4 in my old Harley. It's a much more aggresive brake fluid but more versatile across the boiling pts etc which is I assume why it's used on many single disk systems.

However it's drawback is it deterioates rubber faster than the silicone fluids. But yes I always replace my hydraulic fluids (a min. of every 2 yrs or 10,000 miles).

And yes I was quite surprised to see the Nomad's designed removal of the fork to drain the fork oil. The Harley Dynas were the same way (the other Harley models had drain plugs). Although on the Dynas we could remove the top plug and use a hand pump to draw the oil fluid out. We probably were not getting "all" of it, but we kept track of how much came out and put the same in new back in. It did clean it up quite a bit. Much easeir than pulling the tube and turning upside down. Haven't tried that yet on my Nomad so don't know what might be in the way that procedure there.

Boy that fork oil when it gets old is some of the nastiest smelling stuff.
R_W_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #23
tomdez

I'm not sure I agree with the statement that the fluid in the calipers stays there. I think that the fluid in the braking system does circulate throught out the braking system every time you ride. The fluid closer to the caliper is heated during braking, thereby rising towards the resevoir, being replaced by the fluid above it.
2003 VTX 1800 Retro (Gone)
2001 KDX 220 (Gone)
1998 XR 400 (Gone)
1998 Goldwing (Gone)
1993 V-Max (Gone)
1981 Yamaha Maxim 650 (Gone)
tomdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement