1600 VN (Nomad) General - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1600

Old 11-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #11
Ramakill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
I'm 6'3" and "2 and a half bucks"... I just moved up from the 9'er Custom to the 1600 Nomad, and I *LOVE* it! If ya have specific questions, give me a shout! I'll answer any and all as you come up with 'em (maybe not instantly though ) It's a wonderful bike.
I also went from a 900 Custom to a 1600 Nomad for a while (it's gone now but not because it was a bad bike). It is heavier and therefore needs more concentration a slower speeds, but I still found it easier to handle than the custom - most likely due to a 21" v's 16" front wheel. Comfort wise the 'Nad wins hands down, superb tourer, good protection from the elements and great storage especially if you add a trunk or rack bag. It is super reliable and reasonable on fuel if you aren't too heavy with the right wrist - use the engine torque to its full advantage.

Extra niceties like self cancelling indicators & footboards also make it a nice package. Adding either V&H or Cobra dual exhaust, a TFI fuel processor and free flow intake gives it a new lease of life. Go for it, you won't regret it
Ramakill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 08:45 AM   #12
puckoach

Forum posts generally cover potential owner, new owner, and then questions about problems. All of which are important.

IF there really are issues that pop to you as a concern, ask more direct questions.

If you want to see forums that really address "problem" purchases, check out personal water craft posts on Sea Doo's. They are real problems, yet are the biggest sellers. Gee, seems like some other products I know....

As a direct reply to your OP's question.

As you may note, most of the posters on this thread are recent purchasers of Nomad's. Similar to me, they did research thru forums and settled on a Nomad.

Most of us in that group spent about half what a "Road King" of similar age and miles would have cost. Although now that it is off season, this difference is not as great.

The less desireable item of a 1600 Nomad is that it is one of the harder MC's to operate at slow speeds - parking lots. Very top heavy.

However, once you reach 20mph or more, it is awesome. Good at avoidance, and just a great highway cruiser.

There is a volume of "add on's" available, to make it "yours". In my case, risers with lowered bars, longhorn pegs, and a backrest.

The 1600 does use petrol. With V & H Dual Baggers and a PC III, I get mid 30's MPG.

One of the big benefits is the advice and info available from a couple of the forums. From used add on's, to very detailed how to do's. VBA and Gadget's are great sites.

Another interesting item is that the 1600 should have a great "value" shelf life. As when Kawi moved to the 1700, they changed it from Water Cooled, to Water Assisted Cooled, and ended up with a hot running MC. Which many are not interested in. There are numerous posts from guys that have gone from 1500 to 1600, and 1600 to another
1600. Yes, there are also many that went to the 1700, and the heat doesn't bother. But, Kawi has come up with 2 different fixes for a reason...

Good luck with your search. There are a lot of good bikes out there.
06 Kawi Vulcan Nomad - Cobra Lite Bar, Phat II Risers, Vista Cruise, Krusier Kady, Kuryakyn Longhorn Dually Pegs, Mustang w/ Backrest, Vance & Hines Dual Baggers, PC III, Cobra Luggage Rack, Electrical Connection LED R,B, T Conversion, Jay Stephens LED Tail Light, Classic Chaps, Avon Cobra's.
puckoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #13
Bagger1600

Default 08 1600

I have over 37k on mine.. only problem was the fuel pump quit at about 30k but that's all. Not the fastest bike out there but I have friends with new 103 HDs and we run side my side until we hit 3rd gear then I walk away from them pretty fast ... makes the HD guys cringe lol Also I found that I'm faster if I shift early... high rpms don't mean high torgue in my bike's case but I have my own exhaust system going so that might be the difference too...
Bagger1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
Thriller E

I have a 2006 Nomad with 19000. I own several bikes and my nomad is my favorite one. The sound, the stance and look and the ride is bar non. Better than most Harleys and victory's some have a little more power but it has enough to ride with extra bags a woman in the mountain. But put a supercharger on it and hefty parts and your up there with the kv2. I would rather sink $$$$ in to my nomad then buy a brand new 20k bike.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App
Thriller E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #15
scott15511

I love my 2006 1600 Nomad... Put 4000 miles on it this year.
scott15511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #16
manban9888

I have a 98 1500a which is a great bike and I also have an 08 Nomad 1600. It is the perfect mc for me. No problems just a great reliable ride. When it's time for another, and I plan on keeping her a long time, my first choice will be another 1600
Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 AM   #17
gv550

I bought a 1600 Nomad new in 2005, rode it 4 years and 239,000 kms then traded it for a 1700 Voyager.
The 1600 Nomad was (still is) a great bike, mine never ever broke down! It does have some weak points, cam chain tensioners, clutch, driveshaft u-joint, wire harness rub areas, rubber dampers in the counterbalancer, but all of these are well documented and relatively easy and cheap to fix.
Of all the Nomads, (1500, 1600, 1700) the 1600 is the biggest frame and has the most legroom so x-large riders will be the most comfortable on it.

2009 Voyager ABS:
Black and silver
Convertible to a bagger
400,000+ kms
gv550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:59 AM   #18
FITZ01

Default Nomad none other!

I totally, and again totally love my 08 1600 Nomad. New purchase in April 09. Thirty Seven Thousand miles later, not much or any problems. General service, and Tires, Brakes. Unwarranted problems was one set of Steering Head Bearings at 25,000 Miles, and a Tailight Bulb. To many more positives to list. I have owned Metric Bikes off and on for approx. 45 Years. This Nomads the Bomb. Perfect comfort and Ride, adjustable rear Air and rebound adjustable Shocks. Pulls a trailer with ease. Great balance. This Bike weighs 870 pounds. I and my Wife, have rode a 500 mile day and have finished tired, but not beat down tired from this days ride. Your reading this post by a retired 62 year old individual. This Nomad is by no means a fast, expensive, nostalgic American Ride, but is a well rounded Motorcycle. You'd love it. One other problem, is, you can't find many Hats, Belt Buckles, T-shirts or Boots with the Nomads name on them, if that makes it any better. Join the VRA-USA, VROC, or Vulcan Baggers and you'll find a true blue group of kawasaki Vulcan Riders.
FITZ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement