Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1600 VN (Nomad) General

28K views 17 replies 17 participants last post by  FITZ01 
#1 ·
New member. Test drove a 1500 today and loved the ride, also got a great recommendation from a friend who has owned a Nomad for years. I passed on the 1500 due to some issues with the bike but got a lead on a 1600 that I will be able to look at next week. Just browsing thru the recent posts and I don't see a whole lot of positives in the 1600 forum here, just a lot of issues. So I guess the big question is....is there anything good about the 1600's? Just trying to get a feel before committing to a particular bike and while I'm open to multiple lines and versions, I do like the size and girth on the Nomad (I'm a pretty big guy) and I definitely want something in the 1500-1800cc range. Posting here due to the specifics on the bike that I have a possibility to get soon.

Look forward to hearing some good insight as to the pros (and the cons) of the bike so I can make an informed decision.

#2 ·
I love my 2005 1600 classic bought it 4 years ago no problems so far.

#4 ·
What are you looking for in a bike? Do you want a shield/fairing, or open to the wind. Do you want room to stretch out? Are you dead set on a Nomad?

Also about not being anything good said, most people turn to forums to either show off their ride/mods/new goodies OR find help for their problems. I had one of the Kaw 1600s but it was a mean streak. They are a bit different than the rest of the 1600 line up.

#5 ·
Good questions. I actually just posted in the general thread trying to get some more info, all around info.

Short answer...No. It doesn't have to be a Nomad. I came to the forums since that's what I test drove yesterday and seems to be "good peoples"..lol.

I do like a shield, not necessarily a fairing although I do like those as well when (on rare occasions) it gets a little colder here in hell (I mean Houston). I'll do mostly local driving, although not into Houston itself...too many bike accidents in the city. I usually drive out north or east into the burb areas. But I do plan to make some trips on the bike as well. 3 1/2 to 4 hours to visit family and maybe an occasional long distance trip (already planning one with friends...just have to get the bike now... :D).

As noted in my other thread, I like the longer, flared fenders (like the old Indians), rather than the short stubby tins. I'll want engine guards at some point if not already on the bike and probably bag guards too if they are hard bags. I'm really liking the hard bag look but I have a nice set of leather bags from my old bike I can use that were great too.

In all, I'm pretty flexible. Especially since I'm looking used and no telling what will pop up in that market from day to day. Would love a Goldwing but money IS an option that I have to keep in mind so I am back to a cruiser which is still great. Want something that rides well and is comfortable (even if I have to get a Mustang for it). I'm a big guy so I need something I can stretch out on a bit for comfort as well (6'3 and BIG..lol).

#7 ·
I think the issues with the 1600 you are hearing about are just becuase the 1600 is newer then the 1500. I had both, and the 1600 is a better bike, most people would talk about the 1500 way back when it came out and years later they still are, now most have had it here for years and talk is about adding things, how great the bike has been, etc.. The 1600 is just a newer bike, adding to the basic 1500, most people will get the 1600 because its newer, come on the forum and ask about things they may feel are issues, want to change etc...so there is more talk about that only becuase the 1600 is new to the owner. Many who have owned the 1600 for years will tell you (just like the 1500 owners do now) just how great the 1600 is. I for one can say get the1600 over the 1500, you will not have any issues, well maybe you may get the bug to make it your own, start changing things, add chrome, intake etc...I know 1st hand..LOL. If you wait a few years people will be asking the same about the 1600 and 1700, just like you with the 1500/1600...........

#8 ·
I'm 6'3" and "2 and a half bucks"... I just moved up from the 9'er Custom to the 1600 Nomad, and I *LOVE* it! If ya have specific questions, give me a shout! I'll answer any and all as you come up with 'em (maybe not instantly though ;) ) It's a wonderful bike.

#11 ·
I also went from a 900 Custom to a 1600 Nomad for a while (it's gone now but not because it was a bad bike). It is heavier and therefore needs more concentration a slower speeds, but I still found it easier to handle than the custom - most likely due to a 21" v's 16" front wheel. Comfort wise the 'Nad wins hands down, superb tourer, good protection from the elements and great storage especially if you add a trunk or rack bag. It is super reliable and reasonable on fuel if you aren't too heavy with the right wrist - use the engine torque to its full advantage.

Extra niceties like self cancelling indicators & footboards also make it a nice package. Adding either V&H or Cobra dual exhaust, a TFI fuel processor and free flow intake gives it a new lease of life. Go for it, you won't regret it

#9 ·
Bought a 2008 1600 Nomad just over 1 year ago and put 10,000 miles on it the first year. I am 6' 260lbs and this bike is so comfortable. I have put in many +350 mile days and have no complaints at all. The look, comfort and storage space make this bike one that I look forward to getting on whenever possible. After adding the V&H Duel Pipes it sounds amazing as well! You will not regret owning one!!!!

#10 ·
I have a 06 nomad I bought 6 months ago and it had 15000 miles on it. Now I have 22000 on it and the ride is perfect. I am putting a tour pack on it for the wife. The stock seat is good if you put on a Alaskan leather sheep skin seat cover. I highly recommend this bike.

#12 ·
Forum posts generally cover potential owner, new owner, and then questions about problems. All of which are important.

IF there really are issues that pop to you as a concern, ask more direct questions.

If you want to see forums that really address "problem" purchases, check out personal water craft posts on Sea Doo's. They are real problems, yet are the biggest sellers. Gee, seems like some other products I know....

As a direct reply to your OP's question.

As you may note, most of the posters on this thread are recent purchasers of Nomad's. Similar to me, they did research thru forums and settled on a Nomad.

Most of us in that group spent about half what a "Road King" of similar age and miles would have cost. Although now that it is off season, this difference is not as great.

The less desireable item of a 1600 Nomad is that it is one of the harder MC's to operate at slow speeds - parking lots. Very top heavy.

However, once you reach 20mph or more, it is awesome. Good at avoidance, and just a great highway cruiser.

There is a volume of "add on's" available, to make it "yours". In my case, risers with lowered bars, longhorn pegs, and a backrest.

The 1600 does use petrol. With V & H Dual Baggers and a PC III, I get mid 30's MPG.

One of the big benefits is the advice and info available from a couple of the forums. From used add on's, to very detailed how to do's. VBA and Gadget's are great sites.

Another interesting item is that the 1600 should have a great "value" shelf life. As when Kawi moved to the 1700, they changed it from Water Cooled, to Water Assisted Cooled, and ended up with a hot running MC. Which many are not interested in. There are numerous posts from guys that have gone from 1500 to 1600, and 1600 to another
1600. Yes, there are also many that went to the 1700, and the heat doesn't bother. But, Kawi has come up with 2 different fixes for a reason...

Good luck with your search. There are a lot of good bikes out there.

#13 ·
08 1600

I have over 37k on mine.. only problem was the fuel pump quit at about 30k but that's all. Not the fastest bike out there but I have friends with new 103 HDs and we run side my side until we hit 3rd gear then I walk away from them pretty fast ... makes the HD guys cringe lol Also I found that I'm faster if I shift early... high rpms don't mean high torgue in my bike's case but I have my own exhaust system going so that might be the difference too...

#14 ·
I have a 2006 Nomad with 19000. I own several bikes and my nomad is my favorite one. The sound, the stance and look and the ride is bar non. Better than most Harleys and victory's some have a little more power but it has enough to ride with extra bags a woman in the mountain. But put a supercharger on it and hefty parts and your up there with the kv2. I would rather sink $$$$ in to my nomad then buy a brand new 20k bike.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

#16 ·
I have a 98 1500a which is a great bike and I also have an 08 Nomad 1600. It is the perfect mc for me. No problems just a great reliable ride. When it's time for another, and I plan on keeping her a long time, my first choice will be another 1600

#17 ·
I bought a 1600 Nomad new in 2005, rode it 4 years and 239,000 kms then traded it for a 1700 Voyager.
The 1600 Nomad was (still is) a great bike, mine never ever broke down! It does have some weak points, cam chain tensioners, clutch, driveshaft u-joint, wire harness rub areas, rubber dampers in the counterbalancer, but all of these are well documented and relatively easy and cheap to fix.
Of all the Nomads, (1500, 1600, 1700) the 1600 is the biggest frame and has the most legroom so x-large riders will be the most comfortable on it.

#18 ·
Nomad none other!

I totally, and again totally love my 08 1600 Nomad. New purchase in April 09. Thirty Seven Thousand miles later, not much or any problems. General service, and Tires, Brakes. Unwarranted problems was one set of Steering Head Bearings at 25,000 Miles, and a Tailight Bulb. To many more positives to list. I have owned Metric Bikes off and on for approx. 45 Years. This Nomads the Bomb. Perfect comfort and Ride, adjustable rear Air and rebound adjustable Shocks. Pulls a trailer with ease. Great balance. This Bike weighs 870 pounds. I and my Wife, have rode a 500 mile day and have finished tired, but not beat down tired from this days ride. Your reading this post by a retired 62 year old individual. This Nomad is by no means a fast, expensive, nostalgic American Ride, but is a well rounded Motorcycle. You'd love it. One other problem, is, you can't find many Hats, Belt Buckles, T-shirts or Boots with the Nomads name on them, if that makes it any better. Join the VRA-USA, VROC, or Vulcan Baggers and you'll find a true blue group of kawasaki Vulcan Riders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.