What do you use for protection? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Motorcycle Safety And Riding Gear Discussions

View Poll Results: What do you use for head / eye protection?
Full helmet 20 71.43%
Partial helmet with goggles 0 0%
No helmet, goggles 0 0%
No goggles, sunglasses 0 0%
Partial helmet, sunglasses 10 35.71%
Partial helmet, no eye protection 0 0%
Naked as the day I was born 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
OK Comanche!!

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!

JK

But, that shotgun tube is something I would like to see!

Think I could fit my SKS in there???!
I would like to find a way to take my long guns to the range; while on my bike.

Scott
Scott,

I had a friend CNC an adjustable lateral mount that adapts to and fastens to the top tree area of a motorcycle, ATV/Quad for a BSR ELS-300 with inserts that I picked up at an auction. That way the shotgun or rifle can be mounted in the same plane and direction as the handlebars as well as balanced there so handling and steering are NOT affected. Of course, since my tube was used I also had to make a few minor mods to it so it would fit my 930.

This "tube" as I call mine (which is really a multi-weapon locking rack system that complies with the law) might fit your SKS so I did you a favor and called the company to see if there is an "insert" that adapts specifically for your SKS so all you have to do is mount it to your bike in the way that suits you. The base mount of the rack can be mounted to a flat or rounded surface. I'll let you know what I find out from that company as soon as they call me back.

=====================

The SKS Babe is an Optional Accessory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SKS Babe.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	14357  

Last edited by Comanche; 11-27-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Picture Added For "CLARIFICATION"
Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
Comanche

Garage

On a side note I am thinking of selling these CNC-machined lateral mounts because every time I go out riding on or near the ranch, in the desert or when I'm hunting people ask me where I got the mount. Haven't decided yet but hey they sell those stupid lids to "preserve" the fizz in opened soda cans!
Old 11-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
WEG

3/4 with built in sun shade and clear visor and my prescription glasses. I also have a 1/2 helmet that I use for around the neighborhood on those really hot days. That's the top balding part, for the rest I wear armored textile or armored leather jacket depending on the heat, and I just bought a pair of "Sliders" and a pair of Bohn armored under things : ). Oh and always leather gloves. The feet have a pair of Tourmaster "Solutions" which are really nice. And so far I haven't tested out any of it so I don't know if it works or not and I don't have any plans to...!
WEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
Scott,

I had a friend CNC an adjustable lateral mount that adapts to and fastens to the top tree area of a motorcycle, ATV/Quad for a BSR ELS-300 with inserts that I picked up at an auction. That way the shotgun or rifle can be mounted in the same plane and direction as the handlebars as well as balanced there so handling and steering are NOT affected. Of course, since my tube was used I also had to make a few minor mods to it so it would fit my 930.

This "tube" as I call mine (which is really a multi-weapon locking rack system that complies with the law) might fit your SKS so I did you a favor and called the company to see if there is an "insert" that adapts specifically for your SKS so all you have to do is mount it to your bike in the way that suits you. The base mount of the rack can be mounted to a flat or rounded surface. I'll let you know what I find out from that company as soon as they call me back.

=====================

The SKS Babe is an Optional Accessory.
I am going to have to check out those new accessories; I didn't see ANYTHING like that when I was outfitting my SKS.

With the fairing on my VV; I don't think it would work with the bike, even if the SKS fit.

It is about an hour drive to my preferred range; taking the bike would be nice.

Scott

Commander IIs
All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Scott_in_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Graybush
Top Contributor

Full face helmet and impact resistant glasses. That way I can leave my visor open, day or night, and still have eye protection. I tried a dark visor for a while but just didn't like it.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #16
Phil in Maine

Garage

I use a full face, as I want to keep my head and face as intact as possible. Plus some pretty crazy bugs have thudded against the face of the helmet. Also I had a yellowjacket end up the small opening of the sleeve of my jacket, I can't imagine that ended up in my open face helmet.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
chi
Premium Member

Garage

Skid lid, glasses, leather, and Springfield xd40sc

Sent from my Nexus S
chi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #18
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

For me it's a 3/4 helmet and wrap around sun glasses.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #19
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
I am going to have to check out those new accessories; I didn't see ANYTHING like that when I was outfitting my SKS.

With the fairing on my VV; I don't think it would work with the bike, even if the SKS fit.

It is about an hour drive to my preferred range; taking the bike would be nice.

Scott
Roger that, Scott. The CNC-machined mount can be made to fit any vertical or horizontal application and whether round or flat surface. I'll ask my friend to see if we can find a ride like yours around to test it on. It will be at least a few weeks to see what we can come up with. Even if I had to fab and weld a mount I bet I could come up with something to work for you. Besides, the design of the tree mount system is mine anyway and my friend just did the machining at his shop.

Please post pics or PM me for email address of the area on your scoot you want to mount up on.

Last edited by Comanche; 11-27-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #20
Ghost

I voted full helmet because I wear one on my commute to work. However, if I'm doing the cruising thing it's a half helmet and my regular glasses with sunglass clip ons.

I guess I need the multiple choice vote!
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Vulcan Emblem on Passenger Back Rest
Fire and Steel Light Bar
Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator
Wolo Bad Boy Horn
Kuryakyn Power Point
Back Off XP Brake Light Modulator

08 900 Custom - Traded in!
Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement