Looking for Lowers for 500 - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 500

Old 11-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
Gary W.
Top Contributor

Garage

Nice job of improvising. I would have to come up with a different mounting system since I have the Kawi windshield but this does give me some ideas. Still wish there was a commercial source. I like the highway bars, too. I have the tucmoto bars and have no major complaints, but the ones from Vicente are wider and probably look a little better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
racerX
Top Contributor

Here are some I did post#8

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...325#post166325
To The World You Might Be One Person;
But To One Person You Might Be the World.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
Gary W.
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerX View Post
RacerX -- I really like those. Do you know where you got those clamps? I used some clamps just like that to mount driving lights similar to yours on my 1" highway bars. Got the clamps at Home Depot. I don't think they had them large enough for the forks, but will have to measure and then go look.

Speaking of driving lights, what kind are those and did the nice chrome mounting clamps come with the lights? I got some cheap-o 35 watt lights from O'Reilly but they get hot as Hades. Would like to look into some LED lights but can't pay $300. Have found a really nice chrome clamp available separately but one costs about as much as I paid for the light kit.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
racerX
Top Contributor

Hello Gary W

heres a link for clamps
http://shop1.mailordercentral.com/ma...ber=RUBCLAMP40

the chrome mounts for the lights are from an old set of highway pegs see link for a pic.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRASH-BAR-EN...#ht_1151wt_904.

the lights are from walmart about $20.00. On my bike they are 50 watts and get very hot. Some people change the bulbs out for the 35 watt. the blue bike in the post is my wifes and we changed the bulbs out with LED bulbs from Homedepot or Lowes don't remember which bulb. I had to modify the housing outer ring that hold the bulbs in the light socket
To The World You Might Be One Person;
But To One Person You Might Be the World.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
Gary W.
Top Contributor

Garage

Thanks for that detailed info. The lowers project looks like something I could do. Will also look into the LED lamp.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
Blaine
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerX View Post
Hello Gary W

heres a link for clamps
http://shop1.mailordercentral.com/ma...ber=RUBCLAMP40

the chrome mounts for the lights are from an old set of highway pegs see link for a pic.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRASH-BAR-EN...#ht_1151wt_904.

the lights are from walmart about $20.00. On my bike they are 50 watts and get very hot. Some people change the bulbs out for the 35 watt. the blue bike in the post is my wifes and we changed the bulbs out with LED bulbs from Homedepot or Lowes don't remember which bulb. I had to modify the housing outer ring that hold the bulbs in the light socket
I have the same lights on my 454.They take a MR-16 bulb.The bulbs are popular in trac-lighting & are 12 volt.I had 35 watt bulbs in mine & changed to LED's.They draw less than 2 watts per side & are a lot easier on the charging system.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #17
Bokobob

You have a lot of mechanical ability and thank you for all the info and pics.
Bob
Bokobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
pjckm
Lifetime Premium

HEy Blaine, Any info on the replacement leds for your original 35 watters and where they might be available? I have the same lights you do and would like to change mine to LED also. Did you have to refab the lights for the LEDs or did the replacements just pop right in?
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
Gary W.
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjckm View Post
HEy Blaine, Any info on the replacement leds for your original 35 watters and where they might be available? I have the same lights you do and would like to change mine to LED also. Did you have to refab the lights for the LEDs or did the replacements just pop right in?
I was wondering the same thing. I looked at Home Depot but didn't find anything. I just ordered these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MR16-GU5-3-4...item19d5948ad2

I'm hoping they will be a direct replacement. It looks like there is no cover over the front so I'll have to fashion a piece of plastic or something to go over it. There are a plethora of these on ebay, this seemed one of the brightest at the best price.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #20
Blaine
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I looked at Home Depot but didn't find anything. I just ordered these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MR16-GU5-3-4...item19d5948ad2

I'm hoping they will be a direct replacement. It looks like there is no cover over the front so I'll have to fashion a piece of plastic or something to go over it. There are a plethora of these on ebay, this seemed one of the brightest at the best price.
I got mine at WalMart in the home lighting section.They are a direct replacement.The ones you ordered have should have a lens on them as they are a sealed unit.Home depot here in Canada have them,also Canadian tire.
Advertisement