Looking for Lowers for 500 - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 500

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
Gary W.
Top Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 607
Garage
Default

Nice job of improvising. I would have to come up with a different mounting system since I have the Kawi windshield but this does give me some ideas. Still wish there was a commercial source. I like the highway bars, too. I have the tucmoto bars and have no major complaints, but the ones from Vicente are wider and probably look a little better.
__________________
2006 Vulcan 500 LTD
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Gary W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
racerX
Top Contributor
 
racerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 925
Default

Here are some I did post#8

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...325#post166325
__________________
2007 EN500-17K miles
USN Retired
Donít let society influence you.. You should be the influence for society.
To The World You Might Be One Person;
But To One Person You Might Be the World.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
Gary W.
Top Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 607
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerX View Post
RacerX -- I really like those. Do you know where you got those clamps? I used some clamps just like that to mount driving lights similar to yours on my 1" highway bars. Got the clamps at Home Depot. I don't think they had them large enough for the forks, but will have to measure and then go look.

Speaking of driving lights, what kind are those and did the nice chrome mounting clamps come with the lights? I got some cheap-o 35 watt lights from O'Reilly but they get hot as Hades. Would like to look into some LED lights but can't pay $300. Have found a really nice chrome clamp available separately but one costs about as much as I paid for the light kit.
__________________
2006 Vulcan 500 LTD
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Gary W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
racerX
Top Contributor
 
racerX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 925
Default

Hello Gary W

heres a link for clamps
http://shop1.mailordercentral.com/ma...ber=RUBCLAMP40

the chrome mounts for the lights are from an old set of highway pegs see link for a pic.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRASH-BAR-EN...#ht_1151wt_904.

the lights are from walmart about $20.00. On my bike they are 50 watts and get very hot. Some people change the bulbs out for the 35 watt. the blue bike in the post is my wifes and we changed the bulbs out with LED bulbs from Homedepot or Lowes don't remember which bulb. I had to modify the housing outer ring that hold the bulbs in the light socket
__________________
2007 EN500-17K miles
USN Retired
Donít let society influence you.. You should be the influence for society.
To The World You Might Be One Person;
But To One Person You Might Be the World.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
Gary W.
Top Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 607
Garage
Default

Thanks for that detailed info. The lowers project looks like something I could do. Will also look into the LED lamp.
__________________
2006 Vulcan 500 LTD
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Gary W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #16
Blaine
Top Contributor
 
Blaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island Canada
Posts: 950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerX View Post
Hello Gary W

heres a link for clamps
http://shop1.mailordercentral.com/ma...ber=RUBCLAMP40

the chrome mounts for the lights are from an old set of highway pegs see link for a pic.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRASH-BAR-EN...#ht_1151wt_904.

the lights are from walmart about $20.00. On my bike they are 50 watts and get very hot. Some people change the bulbs out for the 35 watt. the blue bike in the post is my wifes and we changed the bulbs out with LED bulbs from Homedepot or Lowes don't remember which bulb. I had to modify the housing outer ring that hold the bulbs in the light socket
I have the same lights on my 454.They take a MR-16 bulb.The bulbs are popular in trac-lighting & are 12 volt.I had 35 watt bulbs in mine & changed to LED's.They draw less than 2 watts per side & are a lot easier on the charging system.
__________________
If at first you do succeed,try not to look surprised!
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #17
Bokobob
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Gastonia, NC, west of Charlotte.
Posts: 65
Default

You have a lot of mechanical ability and thank you for all the info and pics.
Bob
Bokobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #18
pjckm
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Posts: 310
Default

HEy Blaine, Any info on the replacement leds for your original 35 watters and where they might be available? I have the same lights you do and would like to change mine to LED also. Did you have to refab the lights for the LEDs or did the replacements just pop right in?
__________________
2006 EN500C6F
pjckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
Gary W.
Top Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 607
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjckm View Post
HEy Blaine, Any info on the replacement leds for your original 35 watters and where they might be available? I have the same lights you do and would like to change mine to LED also. Did you have to refab the lights for the LEDs or did the replacements just pop right in?
I was wondering the same thing. I looked at Home Depot but didn't find anything. I just ordered these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MR16-GU5-3-4...item19d5948ad2

I'm hoping they will be a direct replacement. It looks like there is no cover over the front so I'll have to fashion a piece of plastic or something to go over it. There are a plethora of these on ebay, this seemed one of the brightest at the best price.
__________________
2006 Vulcan 500 LTD
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure
Gary W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #20
Blaine
Top Contributor
 
Blaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Prince Edward Island Canada
Posts: 950
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I looked at Home Depot but didn't find anything. I just ordered these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MR16-GU5-3-4...item19d5948ad2

I'm hoping they will be a direct replacement. It looks like there is no cover over the front so I'll have to fashion a piece of plastic or something to go over it. There are a plethora of these on ebay, this seemed one of the brightest at the best price.
I got mine at WalMart in the home lighting section.They are a direct replacement.The ones you ordered have should have a lens on them as they are a sealed unit.Home depot here in Canada have them,also Canadian tire.
__________________
If at first you do succeed,try not to look surprised!
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Forum Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum Kawasaki Ninja 250SL Forum