Aftermarket hand grip sticking - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #11
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedkawi View Post
09 Vulcan 900, changed to Kuryakyn ISO grips last year, changed to apes 3 mos. ago.

The other day, it was cold, took the bike out and the throttle sticks for the 1st time since owning the 9.

I hear a squeaking under the tank as I twist the throttle without starting the engine. How do I attack the problem? Thinking of WD40, oil penetrant or disassembling. Shd I start with raising the tank or doing the handlebar push pull controls?

Thanks.
Besides lubrication you should also check tension and free play as part of your routine maintenance. Did you change the cable paths lately?

If you do have to make any adjustments also make sure to turn your forks all the way from left to right after doing so to ensure there is no cable binding or kinking that restricts your turning radius and throttle functionality and that your throttle response is right.
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
tedkawi

ty bosco,
getting set to do it as per your advice. also got to watch some lubing vdos. I've done this before, but advice and review certainly helps.

Last edited by tedkawi; 11-27-2012 at 06:41 PM.
tedkawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
Collinba

Garage

Had the same problem with my throttle sticking when I put on the ISO grips. I tried the greese and it worked for a while. When it started sticking again I took it apart and inspected the clearances carefully. I noticed that the black nylon part that the throttle cable hooks into was rubbing on the grip and binding. I filed the black nylon down and rounded the edges a little to provide adequate clearance and now works perfect. On the clutch side I removed the original grip by just pealing it off and installed the ISO grip without the glue they supplied - just slipped it on andf tapped it home with a rubber mallot. Didn't need the glue. Been on for about 2000 miles now with no problem - takes an awful lot of twisting to move it and no way it's going to pull off.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #14
tedkawi

Default Success!

Thanks also, Commanche and Collinba; I also did as per your recoms.
First I disassembled the handlebar throttle controls and sprayed everything with a cleaner; then I used light oil to penetrate the cables at the same time turning the throttle in and out. After the fluids seeped in, I was still hearing the squeak so I sprayed a cleaner where the cables went into the fuel system. Squeak gone!

After assembly, I adjusted to a handlebar point where the grip returns with no effort. There is a handlebar spot where it doesn't return. Then I adjusted cables for tension and free play. Locked the nut.

Started the engine. Squeak gone; grip doesn't stick. Perfect!

Thanks, all.
tedkawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
Strompilot
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedkawi View Post
09 Vulcan 900, changed to Kuryakyn ISO grips last year, changed to apes 3 mos. ago.

The other day, it was cold, took the bike out and the throttle sticks for the 1st time since owning the 9.

I hear a squeaking under the tank as I twist the throttle without starting the engine. How do I attack the problem? Thinking of WD40, oil penetrant or disassembling. Shd I start with raising the tank or doing the handlebar push pull controls?

Thanks.
You might also want to raise the tank to access the throttle linkage and shoot some cleaner on it to clear away any debris that might have collected there, then give it some light lube. And yes, also lube the throttle cables.

'09 650 VStrom
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement