Wow! What A Ride! - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 11-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
erock1

Default what a ride

Curious as to the mention of not being able to get to certain speeds without the bike becoming squirrely. Is this something unique to using the CT ?? The reason I'm asking, is that I'm seriously looking at going darkside in the spring, when I get the bike back out of hibernation. Can't really say that I drive 90 mph either, but I've not seen this issue mentioned before. Anxiously looking for yours and other's inputs regarding this issue. Thanks, and ditto that I'm so glad that you are around to see another Thanksgiving season. Best wishes !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldturer View Post
I have over 3 million miles on the road, panicking is not an option when one has the close calls I've had. I can also put in front of that, the Good Lord has looked after me with care!

I'm also convinced the car tire had alot to do with me being able to keep the bike upright and rolling, even though it was in a wabble. I feel the wabble would have been worse with a round tire and I doubt keeping it up would have happened. I can't get to certain speeds as it gets squirrely, but I don't need to get over 85/90 on any road. If I have to go faster, then, I'll just pull over and start shooting...less danger that way.

One question guys...has anyone come up with a way to increase fuel mileage?
With the trailer I averaged 39mpg, but the trailer was loaded down. When solo, I notice I am not getting better with increased miles ridden. I'm stock all the way..only changes is the tire and wrapping the exhaust with header wrap to cool it down.
erock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
bulldozer
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by erock1 View Post
Curious as to the mention of not being able to get to certain speeds without the bike becoming squirrely. Is this something unique to using the CT ?? The reason I'm asking, is that I'm seriously looking at going darkside in the spring, when I get the bike back out of hibernation. Can't really say that I drive 90 mph either, but I've not seen this issue mentioned before. Anxiously looking for yours and other's inputs regarding this issue. Thanks, and ditto that I'm so glad that you are around to see another Thanksgiving season. Best wishes !!
Its not the C/T. Ive been darkside for 2 years and never had a problem.

2008 V2K
Gone to the Darkside
Hard Krome 2-1
Power Commander
Custom Paint
Wheels, Forks,Rotors,Calipers all polished

2008 V900 Customized By ROAR
2-1 Exhaust
Baron Big Air
Scootworks Pulleys
bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:05 AM   #13
Oldturer

Thanks to all for the well wishes and 'belated' concern, I have found cycle riders are true spirits and care for others and you all show it here. Thanks again.

ERockI, I am 100% sold on darkside. It is my lack of ability to balance my tires and get the alignment just right. All tires are safe when this is done properly. I wore out the original back tire within 4K and I thought I'd try it. I have 13.5K now and not a sign of wear on the Altamax. I've been in rain and it tracks and holds; on rocks/gravel roads and it doesn't dance around. I two up a good bit and she loves the ride compared to the original. This issue was hashed out on here a year ago and some took them off, some swore it was the only way. One rider had over 100K on darkside and swore by it. Some had the wabble/shimmy and it spooked them enough they stripped it off and put a round tire on without considering a balance/alignment redo.

My punch line to the whole issue is: "no way is there so much difference in the ride and safety that I would spend money on 5 tires when I can buy one."
Oldturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #14
R-man
Top Contributor

I wonder if the balancing beads (similar to Dyna Beads) would put the cure on the balancing issues. They are made to work in car tires, should work just as well on darkside applications ?
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
R-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
Oldturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-man View Post
I wonder if the balancing beads (similar to Dyna Beads) would put the cure on the balancing issues. They are made to work in car tires, should work just as well on darkside applications ?
Bulldozer is right, it can be corrected to a smoothe ride at any speed and I have mine up to the nineties. I think that should tell me its not so much the balance as it is alignment, but I've tweeked on it till I've got it above where I cruise. Mine may be..[I'm leaning to this] a tire mfg flaw. They are man made.

As to the beads, I'm totally in the dark on how they perform/or/work. But, to me? It sounds a little like the 'fix-a-flat' in a can. As I said, I'm in the dark; they could be the thing to do.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #16
R-man
Top Contributor

The beads are tiny ceramic balls (one brand has a static charge so the stay in place to some degree when you stop). These beads find their location by centrifugal force as your tire turns and keep it in constant balance, even as your tire wears. They are dry, not in a gel or liquid like fix-a-flat. Another benefit is no lead weight on the wheel. If you just google dyna-beads you will find a lot of info. I think they recommend about two ounces per tire in a regular MC tire, probably more for a darkside tire.
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
R-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #17
whiting57
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
One question guys...has anyone come up with a way to increase fuel mileage?
want fuel milage, try slowing down .... touring at 85 mph towing a trailer is lunacy, regardless of what size bike you ride ... you were lucky not to find out the hard way.

2009 Classic LT Bagger... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer.

2010 Custom ... Mutazu Luggage, Pirelli 200 Rear, Saddleman Solo Seat, Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Batwing Fairing, Cobra FI2000 Power Pro, freedom performance exhaust
whiting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:35 AM   #18
Oldturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
want fuel milage, try slowing down .... touring at 85 mph towing a trailer is lunacy, regardless of what size bike you ride ... you were lucky not to find out the hard way.
This is true. But, some buy a bike to rebuild by adding on parts and dressing it like little girls dress dolls. Some buy to race or trail ride...I like to travel and do it in style. Vulcan 1700 Voyager is made for it and it pulls the trailer effortlessly. The trailer trails perfect and it DOES take more fuel regardless of speed. All I was doing was keeping up with the flow. Around home, I barely get over 60mph as its all country farm roads.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:40 AM   #19
Comanche

Garage

Oldturer, it's always a good feeling getting out of wild situations isn't it? Your darkside theory is plausible. Glad you rode it out safely.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:13 AM   #20
whiting57
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
One rider had over 100K on darkside and swore by it.
For every one rider who has a story about how great it is , there are others that have almost paid the price .. there was a post by a forum member that while completely sold on the concept, and after expounding the virtues of the darkside, had his tire completely disintergrate on him at speed.

Each to their own. Most are having to seat the tire at over 100 psi , these are tires designed to run at what ... 35lbs psi. I'm not convinced that putting 3 times the recommended psi into any tire to get the bead to seat, doesn't do something to the integrity of the tire construction.

While most see the added mileage as a benefit, i suspect from what i read on the 900 side of the forum, this and others, that some do it for the "cool" factor of being "darkside".

There is a reason why the tire manufactures don't recommend it and the majority of dealers wont install them.

I guess it goes back to the risk vs reward game .... kinda like putting 40 lbs of gas on your hitch ...

2009 Classic LT Bagger... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer.

2010 Custom ... Mutazu Luggage, Pirelli 200 Rear, Saddleman Solo Seat, Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Batwing Fairing, Cobra FI2000 Power Pro, freedom performance exhaust
whiting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement