900 lt to 1700 need input - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 11-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
MidIA900LT

Default 900 lt to 1700 need input

looking at moving from 900LT to Vaquero or Nomad need to know the issues I may run across. Wife and I love the 900 but 2 up long distances pulling trailer takes its tole not the most comfortable and thats really what I'm looking at something we can get on and ride comfortably for a couple hours at a stretch putting miles down we have tested the voyager and the closeness of driver and passenger is tight Looking for pros and cons thanks
MidIA900LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
cannonballs

hi mid
we have done the same upgrade except we bought the voyager and love it 1700 out handles and performs better ,fully adjustable rear suspension ,lots of storage,change pipes and heaps of grunt
down side
around town a little thirsty on fuel compared to 900 but open road as good as the 900 or better
cannonballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
tstorey823
BOTM Winner, April 2013

Garage

I've had my Vaquero for 13 months, and after 14,000 miles and I love it. The stock seat will NOT be loved by any passenger on rides longer than 20 minutes. You will NEED another seat. I got the Kawasaki Touring Gel seat; at first it seems too firm, but after several long day-rides it feels fine now. The passenger seat, while much better than the stock, still has my lady getting squirmy on long rides. Also, it sits you about 2" higher than the stock seat. So get the seat BEFORE you get a taller windshield. I bought the Kaw 12" shield first, and it was perfect. Then I got the Touring seat, and the windshield suddenly shrunk 2"!! Damn, now I need the 14" windshield. I also pull a trailer. I have a PiggyBacker cargo trailer and a Bunkhouse camper. It pulls both with ease. Pulling the camper faster than 60 mph will drop your mpg's equal to the increase in mph. Raising my speed from 55mph to 65mph decreased my mpg from 46 to 36.
If I could go back in time a year I might get the Voyager instead, for the seat and the trunk. Also, no need to spend another $500+ for a passenger backrest. If the seating is too close for comfort though, the Vaquero may be a good alternative.
tstorey823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
IL Vaquero

I have had my Vaquero year and half and only 9300 miles tryed the gel touring set still have it. It for sale cheap bought the mustang seat the wife and I love it I wish I'd got the driver backrest though. Bought a 16in sheild for the gel set it is for sale also went with 14in after mustang seat. Have no dought it will pull a trailer no prob we don't. Vaq loves to run 75 mph down the highway I only get to do that by myself. Most of the time 60-65 with the wife if I had it to do over I think I would have went with the nomad more options for the money. Ride them both twice or more before you buy I have just lately been looking at the triump thunderbird. Its a sharp bike lots of options don't know about pulling a trailer with it did not check on that. Buy all said I'll stay with my Vaquero have it just the way I want it. Hope some of this makes sence been up all night working.

Last edited by IL Vaquero; 11-26-2012 at 07:40 AM.
IL Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
MidIA900LT

Thanks for the input so far. The wife and I dont do alot of long trips 1 or 2 year, but I want to do more. For 90% of the riding we do the 900 is perfect and she really likes the style and color (white and titanium) and have painted trailer to match but after 4-5 hours on the road pulling trailer at 65-70 in 5th gear were about done. Even with the mustang seat and stopping every hour or so. When you want to get someplace thats 12-14 hours away taking 3-4 days bites into the vacation time. We have showroom rode the Voyager and the Nomad both dont allow any space between driver and pasanger (wife and I are on the plump side) and the Vaquero would definatly have to have a different seat and backrest but wondering what room that would give us also
Old 11-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
CaptKurt

Garage

I have a 900 as well as a 1700, both Classic LTs. The 900 just did not cut the mustard with regards to long distance and 2-up riding. The saddle on the 1700 is much nicer, and I dont mind it one bit, even on long rides....but the wife hates it, so we need to replace it at some point soon.

From a ride standpoint, I love the 6th gear, and I hardly notice the 2nd rider at all.

From a solo (non-freeway) standpoint, the 900 is a blast to ride. I love it still and take it out when I am running around town, or hitting the back roads.

The Classic LT vs Nomad is gonna be pretty much identical, though the Nomad has some nice bells and whistles for longer rides. The Voyager or Vaquero is going to be a pretty different riding experience and you may have to specifically check those out to see if they are what you are looking for.

The Green Machine - 2009 VN1700 Classic
Silver Streak - 2008 VN900 Classic
CaptKurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
IL Vaquero

Mid
back from a nap the wife thinks theres plenty of room between us on the vaq I had a welder add 4 in to the back rest and powercoated it gloss black. Wife likes it alot better and more room to put stuff on the luggage rack. If you lived close i'd let you and the wife take it for a ride. Plus on the vaq you get air shocks along with 4 rebound settings I know we have no problem going tank to tank 200 miles between stops. I dont think the vaq would have any problem pulling a trailer 75-80 down the road the way mine is set up. I would guess between 37 and 40 mpg doing it. just my two cents worth.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
slowpoke387

6th gear alone should help sway you. We have a 900 and a Vaq and I'd say if you're looking to tour and not just run up to the store or go for quick rides around town, the 1700 is a no brainer. More comfort, power, options, etc. And did I mention 6 gears? ....
slowpoke387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
matt7even

Would agree with a lot that has been said here. If you plan on doing a lot of highway miles with a passenger the Nomad or a Vaquero with an aftermarket seat and back rest is a big upgrade from the 900 when you factor in features like overdrive gear, standard seating position, and cruise control. I wish I could have kept my 900 for blazing the twisties & back roads but longer trips are much definitely more enjoyable on my Nomad.
Kawasaki light bar
Kuryakyn power point
RAM phone mount
Kuryakyn speakers
Scootworks engine chaps
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Optronics driving lights
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
RAM drink holder
Kawasaki bag liners
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED rear accent lights
Goodyear tripletred (Darkside 205-16-60)

Last edited by matt7even; 01-02-2014 at 02:46 PM.
matt7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
MidIA900LT

the ultimate solution woulld be to keep the 900LT and add the Vaquero to the stable but I cant seem to convince the better half of that this is he time of year the dealers need to sell but its not always the best time to test drive 18 degrees this AM I may be waiting for warmer weather thanks for ghte input any other coments are always welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement