1700 Classic discontinued for 2013... - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
twowheeladdict
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by at-home-daddy View Post
I see in the latest issue of Cruiser magazine that the 1700 Classic has been discontinued for 2013 (and for who knows how long). Very sad to see that. I came so close to picking one up last year, but ultimately opted for something else...but I still really, really like the model and in my mind it fit a gap in Kawi's lineup that the Mean Streak left behind several years ago. But I do understand that my preference for a clean/naked big-cc cruiser isn't the market's preference, that most when they get up to that size and price-point want more of the bagger/touring options. Still, for me the news was disappointing.
Since I own a Mean Streak, I will say that I don't not believe the Classic is near the performance, suspension, styling and brakes of the mean streak.

You can strip a nomad to more of a classic if that is your desire.

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
Vulcan Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by at-home-daddy View Post
But if you click on the 1700 Classic picture the info it displays states 2012; clicking on the other cruiser models shows 2013. Along with the article quote I provide above, this would seem to go to affirm that it's been discontinued for 2013.
That doesn't necessarily mean that the 2013 Classic has been discontinued for distribution elsewhere.

The attached web site shows the specs for the U.S. based 2013 Classic in the special gray colour only available in 2013.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...700Classic.htm

It's shown on Kawasaki.ca as a 2013 model for we Canadians.

Perhaps the U.S. distributors had too many leftover 2012s still on the show room floor and made a last-minute decision not to import any 2013 models.

I'm still of the opinion, however, that Motorcycle Cruiser has publishing deadlines and often misses releases and makes mistakes. I've been a reader for years, and they have yet to produce an accurate or complete buyers guide listing.

Last edited by Vulcan Hammer; 11-25-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Vulcan Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
at-home-daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Since I own a Mean Streak, I will say that I don't not believe the Classic is near the performance, suspension, styling and brakes of the mean streak.

You can strip a nomad to more of a classic if that is your desire.
I wasn't trying to draw a comparison as far as perfomance or build goes...clearly they're very different bikes. I simply meant that both were clean/naked (i.e. no standard bags, shields, fairings, etc.) big cc bikes in the Kawi lineup. Now -- if the 1700 has been eliminated -- that type of bike stops with the 900 Custom and Classic. Anything above it comes standard with bags, etc. That's fine for those who want that type of thing...but there are still some riders like me who do not, and also don't want to start stripping our brand-new bikes to get the bike we want -- which is why I thought it was unfortunate that that option has apparently been removed (as the Mean Streak was before it) from the Kawi lineup.

I get, though, that Kawasaki has to answer to market demand, and if loaded baggers and tourers are what the majority of the 1000+ cc crowd wants, then ultimately it was a wise move on Kawi's part. On a personal level, I just found it unfortunate.
*Hard-Krome 2.5" Strippers with Smartpartz Hard Kore Baffles
*Cobra Short Sissybar, Pad & Insert *Leatherworks 312 Chopper Bag *Small/Med. Windshield

Last edited by at-home-daddy; 11-25-2012 at 10:23 PM.
at-home-daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
Strompilot
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Hammer View Post
That doesn't necessarily mean that the 2013 Classic has been discontinued for distribution elsewhere.

The attached web site shows the specs for the U.S. based 2013 Classic in the special gray colour only available in 2013.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...700Classic.htm

It's shown on Kawasaki.ca as a 2013 model for we Canadians.

Perhaps the U.S. distributors had too many leftover 2012s still on the show room floor and made a last-minute decision not to import any 2013 models.

I'm still of the opinion, however, that Motorcycle Cruiser has publishing deadlines and often misses releases and makes mistakes. I've been a reader for years, and they have yet to produce an accurate or complete buyers guide listing.
I was quite confused by the "totalmotorcycle" ad for the 1700 Classic. On one had it mentions U.S. spec bikes, but then implies that it's going to Canada and the U.K. So I'm not sure where it's actually going to be available.

'09 650 VStrom
Strompilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #15
zatovisualworks

Hi guys (and hope also gals):

If eventually the 1700Classic goes discontinued, the best for us, pleased owners of them! We are going to own and ride really historical exclusive classics!

Vulcanic greetings from this European sixty-year-old veteran Vulcaner! Pioneer in Vulcanic Mars Exploration

Last edited by zatovisualworks; 12-01-2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Including picture
zatovisualworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement