Dunlop Tire wear - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Wheels and Tires

Old 08-03-2012, 08:37 AM   #11
GimpyLeg

Garage

Used to ride a VTX1300. ALWAYS worn the LH side of the front tire out first. Somehow I believe it's the nature of the beast. Not enough wear on my VV to determine if this bike will do the same.
Rear speakers
Mirror Extender/Risers
Trunk Rack
Dunlop E3 160/80HB-16
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
Engine guards
Memphis Shades windscreen
GimpyLeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
tecunuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daboo311 View Post
Also, makes me wonder if this bike had a previous owner and it was laid down...
This comment is irrelevant to the issue discussed here, it's very rude to deviate the attencion to the problem indicated.
tecunuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
I think it could/would, but any time my rear wheel alignment has been off any appreciable amount I've felt it in the bars, needing to compensate more one way or the other/work harder to keep the bike going straight.
Thanks. No issues with handling or feel. I think it's just the nature of the roads & left turns longer.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Fun fact!

It's been proven (or at least suggested with some evidence to back it up) that riders tend to lean farther on one end than the other. A 'dominant' side if you will. They've found that riders might take a left hand turn down to the pegs regularly, but are a little more hesitant on right hand turns, or vice versa. Perhaps it has something to do with training ourselves in cages to swing right turns a little wider, or just something to do with the fact that we each have a dominant eye and dominant hand!

Either way, for some, it can be more severe than others. Consciously think about it but try not to change your riding patterns, do you think you maybe lean farther into one type of turn than another?

I've seen this issue and threads like this before. There was an article in MCN that showed pictures similar to yours they claimed were due to riders who turned much harder / leaned much farther on one side.

It could also be just the way roads are built, or something else entirely, but the idea makes sense. When I think about it, I can take a left turn a little quicker than I can a right... or maybe I'm just imagining it, who knows? But it's something to think about.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Last edited by Romans5.8; 08-03-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
Daboo311
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daboo311
Also, makes me wonder if this bike had a previous owner and it was laid down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecunuman View Post
This comment is irrelevant to the issue discussed here, it's very rude to deviate the attencion to the problem indicated.
I'll prove you wrong! My previous bike was laid down. It had only a few scrapes on it and everything seemed to be fine otherwise. It was my first bike!

I bought and had a few weeks until I noticed the handle bars were crooked. Apparently there was more to previous owners wreck than I was able to see... orignially.

A wrecked bike can indeed cause uneven tire wear.
Daboo311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Fun fact!

It's been proven (or at least suggested with some evidence to back it up) that riders tend to lean farther on one end than the other. A 'dominant' side if you will. They've found that riders might take a left hand turn down to the pegs regularly, but are a little more hesitant on right hand turns, or vice versa. Perhaps it has something to do with training ourselves in cages to swing right turns a little wider, or just something to do with the fact that we each have a dominant eye and dominant hand!

Either way, for some, it can be more severe than others. Consciously think about it but try not to change your riding patterns, do you think you maybe lean farther into one type of turn than another?

I've seen this issue and threads like this before. There was an article in MCN that showed pictures similar to yours they claimed were due to riders who turned much harder / leaned much farther on one side.

It could also be just the way roads are built, or something else entirely, but the idea makes sense. When I think about it, I can take a left turn a little quicker than I can a right... or maybe I'm just imagining it, who knows? But it's something to think about.
That's why I suggested in my post that the OP was probably right-handed. Also the reason most race tracks are set to left hand turns. Most right-handers want to naturally turn left than right.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
pacomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
That's why I suggested in my post that the OP was probably right-handed. Also the reason most race tracks are set to left hand turns. Most right-handers want to naturally turn left than right.
Yep, I am right handed. Haven't noticed turning either way is any different (comfortable either direction, had to when I learned to race motorcycles back in the 80's). What I have noticed, the roads where I ride tend to have a pretty good crown in them and I have to lean a bit left to stay straight. In any case I have a new tire and will keep it inflated to 38psi as recommended.

Hope it cools down a bit more so I can go break in the new tire.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #18
ostbob

Default tire wear Dunlap 404

I too have a front tire that is more worn on the left side but I know for a fact that I lean more on the left turns.
Plus I've been doing a lot of obstacle course training. Looks like a need to replace them with 8300 miles on them.
ostbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #19
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

On my 800b, my origanal tire did the same thing, so much so that a guy asked if "I did any Nascar racing with it. Hasnt happened since, at least not as much or noticeable. ran recommened pressure in it, since have been running 40psi. In the USA, since we drive on the right side, we also tend to slow down more for right hand turns, thus the tire dont fight as hard for traction, wearing less on right hand turns. Just my opinion.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement