Modular helmets - Page 4 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Motorcycle Safety And Riding Gear Discussions

Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #31
Aleco

Default Shark Evo 2

Just got myShark evo 2 a week ago, verynice looking helmet, fits perfectly, feels it can take a beating. I'm veryhappy with how easy it is to gofrom full face toa 3/4 helmet, I really love that the chin protection goes all the way to tha back of the helmet.
Aleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #32
MN-Rider
Administrator

Garage

I just watched a video on their site for the Evo2. Since the full face part is on a hinge like a shield, how strong is that joint? Do you think it would hold up in the event of an impact?
MN-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #33
Hatchcover

A couple of years ago my daughter ordered a Nolan 100E Flashback directly from Italy because she thought I needed a particular color scheme they didn't sell in the states. Anyway, It's a great helmet and cost twice as much as I could afford and it doesn't have a DOT approved sticker on it because - you guessed it.
Hatchcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #34
Aleco

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Rider View Post
I just watched a video on their site for the Evo2. Since the full face part is on a hinge like a shield, how strong is that joint? Do you think it would hold up in the event of an impact?
No modular will hold up like a full face!.
But better than a 3/4, half head or open face.

Last edited by Aleco; 11-27-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Aleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #35
smokey422

Default Arthur Fulmer modular.....

I have an Arthur Fulmer modular helmet that fits me very well and was bought at a good price ($150 if I remember correctly). Haven't crash-tested it yet (fortunately) but it seems to be sturdily made. It's comfortable and works out well when I pull the windshield off my Drifter during the hot summer months.
Smokey
smokey422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #36
Grandpa

Default HJC Symax II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallannie View Post
you didnt mention the HJC Symax II... which both my husband and I have and really like. Has an internal flip down sun visor and is not heavy (IMHO)....Annie
This is my current helmet too, and I have only one complaint; the noise. I wore a Ghibli, no longer produced, full face, and it was amazingly quiet. This may be due to my head shape; most people found the Ghibli uncomfortable, but it fit me perfectly. I recently tried a Shoei Qwest, and will probably buy the Qwest or the Shoei modular, if it is equally quiet.

Just my opinion, we all have them.

Ride safe,
Grandpa
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #37
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Rider View Post
The SNELL foundation says on their website that nobody has submitted a modular helmet to their testing. One might assume that someone would not pay the money to test something they know won't pass, OR, they don't think their market is concerned about a SNELL rating.

Sure beats an open face in a frontal-impact situation though! There ARE modulars that bare the SNELL 2010 rating, which means evidently some are capable of passing their tests.

Worth mentioning that 3/4 helmets can also carry a SNELL rating, (no half helmets), but of course it's with the obvious caveat that there is no rating for frontal impact protection. SNELL does require though that a modular helmet pass a front impact test if it's going to get the label, basically, because a rider might assume that it will adequately protect them from all angles, wheras a rider won't assume frontal impact protection from a 3/4 helmet.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Last edited by Romans5.8; 04-13-2013 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Correction on some info
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #38
Bear2123
Top Contributor

From my automobile racing days a SNELL rating was required by a number of sanctioning bodies. Individuals tend to be less discerning in helmet selection based on ratings. Many states require a DOT rating, where wearing a helmet is required, and having a helmet with both is ones own choice. I thought there was one or two modulars out there that were SNELL rated. I'll have to do some research. I know I read it someplace... A word of arningto all however. SNELL has differant ratings/testing for auto vs motorcycle helmets. Be aware when buying one that you get the properly rated helmet for the application. A friend recently picked up a SNELL rated car helmet not knowing there is a differance in the testing.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:16 AM   #39
Ron M

I've been looking for a modular for a while too and have been concerned that it would not hold in a crash. I found Sharp.com they test helmets in Europe and rate them. They test most brands and styles which is helpful.

The Nolan 104 modular held up the best from what I looked at.

Now which FF will vent well enough that I will use it?

Ron M

Last edited by Ron M; 04-14-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Ron M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #40
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
I've been looking for a modular for a while too and have been concerned that it would not hold in a crash. I found Sharp.com they test helmets in Europe and rate them. They test most brands and styles which is helpful.

The Nolan 104 modular held the best from what I looked at.

Now which FF vent well enough that I will use it?

Ron M
The more you spend, the better it'll vent. Basically. Check out the reviews. High end SHOEI helmets tend to be really quiet with excellent venting, etc.

I have an HJC and it's vents are pretty poor. But I just ride it with the visor open in the summer (and wear sunglasses or safety glasses to protect my eyes). That's a pretty big vent right there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear2123 View Post
From my automobile racing days a SNELL rating was required by a number of sanctioning bodies. Individuals tend to be less discerning in helmet selection based on ratings. Many states require a DOT rating, where wearing a helmet is required, and having a helmet with both is ones own choice. I thought there was one or two modulars out there that were SNELL rated. I'll have to do some research. I know I read it someplace... A word of arningto all however. SNELL has differant ratings/testing for auto vs motorcycle helmets. Be aware when buying one that you get the properly rated helmet for the application. A friend recently picked up a SNELL rated car helmet not knowing there is a differance in the testing.

Good point! There ARE different ratings.

Also, worth mentioning that there is some 'misinformation' about Snell. The 2005 (M2005) rating was criticzed for causing manufacturers to produce very hard shells that could pass the test but would transfer way too much energy. A really hard shell isn't what saves you, it's a well engineered lid made from excellent materials that can spread the energy of an impact so that your skull doesn't take it all! The SNELL 2010 rating, which will be on anything you buy NEW that's SNELL rated, has been modified to protect against overly-hard helmets made just to pass the test.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement