Modular helmets - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Motorcycle Safety And Riding Gear Discussions

Old 10-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #21
Loganspawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappyman View Post
Bad part about it is that Nolan only has two shell sizes and the break is at the large/Xlarge. Means that the Large will have the least amount of padding in it. Am a little over the large size in measurements already.Think I just talked myself into the XL!
FYI
As for padding I have plenty!!!!

Good luck.
Logan
Loganspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #22
Phil in Maine

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue Wagon View Post
I went with a Hawk from Leatherup.com. I love it and for the price you can't beat it.
Is this helmet still working out for you? I am seriously considering it.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #23
Aleco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1700Classic View Post
I have the following helmet. I'm happy with it but I still wear my full Shoei helmet more often. The fog protection is as useless as any other helmet. Lasts for about a week. It's considerably heavier than a full helmet. It's kind of spacy looking too. The video does a great job showing all its features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0v1mEq-IAA
To prevent you visor or sunglasses to get foggy clean them with tooth paste and rinse with water, this can be done as required.
Aleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #24
Aleco

Can anyone tell me what is the quality of the IV2 helmets?

Last edited by Aleco; 10-24-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Aleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #25
Gray Ghost
Top Contributor

I have a GMax. Lots of vents, both clear an tinted shields, replacement parts on line, rear LED light for night driving. Not too pricey.
Gray Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #26
Pappyman

Went over to Daytona today and tried on some different helmets. Weather was bad so it was a great day to do something like this. Tried on Shoei, Nolan, Bell, Scorpion and the HJC RPHA Max helmet. The fit was best on the Neotec and the Nolan N-104. Looked closely at the ventilation and fit and finish of these two helmets, the only advantage easily discernable that I could tell was in the ease of removal of the visor. Shoei wins this hands down however the Nolan is fairly easy as well. So, for the $200 + difference in price I picked up a large Nolan N-104 and a Scala G9 Rider comm system. Side benefit of the helmet was that the rest of the buffeting I was experiencing is pretty much non existant now. Lowers helped the most and the aerodynamics of the helmet did the rest.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #27
Big Thump

Garage

Well, my old Shoei multitec was due for replacement. I decided to give the HJC RPHA (pronounced ARFA) a try since my dealer was having a 20% sale, and I got a pretty good deal on the price.

Fit and finish is real nice. Sunshield looks a little lighter than I was expecting but I am going to give it a shot before replacing it with a darker one. Update: Sunshield worked out great so no need for my sunglasses or a darker shield. Very light compared to the Multitec. Easy to use the buttons and releases.

This helmet is supposed to have great ventilation and exceptionally quite according to the Tube reviews.

Update: I have now tested the rideability of the helmet. It has exceptional air ventilation and is very quite at high speed. Open the vents and I get just a slight amount of noise but excellent air.
Also, running the Scala Rider communications wires was the easiest I have ever installed. They run over the inside padding and fit into pockets with padding over them. Very comfortable and I hear much better than I did on other helmets due to how quite the helmet is.
IBA #23562
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thump52

Last edited by Big Thump; 11-04-2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Update
Big Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #28
Dean
Top Contributor

Garage

I have always worn a full face helmet starting wayyy back in high school. I begaan riding again after a long absence and I like/prefer the modular helmet. Mine is a Fuel brand, may not be as expensive as the others above, but I like the protection compared to brain buckets and skid lids or even 3/4 helmets.
JMO.
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #29
tjhfwtx

I have a Scorpion hi-viz exo900 transformer. Overall happy with it, but it was giving me hot spots on my forehead after an hour or so. Can you say dremel? Better now.
tjhfwtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #30
Pappyman

Update on the Nolan N-104. Have worn it for the better part of a thousand or so miles now. Comfortable and quiet. Actually the helmet is quiet enough that when you open the upper vents you can hear a noticeable difference but not objectionable at all. When its cold out I shut off all the venta and stay pretty toasty in it.
The Scala Comm system works like a champ. Even with my hearing issues the volume on the stereo radio isn't up much at all and sounds pretty good. Have 6 preset stations in it and scroll through them easily. That button is the easiest one to find. The automatic volume adjustment works well and the Bluetooth to the phone is great. Have taken phone calls at 55-65mph with no issues. Thick gloves make finding the correct buttons a little challenging but Scala made the top buttons in a High-Low-High configuration and the side buttons have a raised divider in between them to make it easier.

Last edited by Pappyman; 11-25-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Pappyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement