Gasoline.... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Vulcan 41

Default Gasoline....

All gasoline marketers in the United States get their gasoline from various terminals in their cities. This gasoline has been mixed in pipelines with gasoline from a number of refineries. Although we may purchase our gasoline from a specific refiner, the gasoline we actually pull out of the pipeline is really generic. Even retail outlets of major oil companies end up drawing their gasoline out of the same pipeline as everyone else....A quote from a major supplier...

So much for name brands...
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Old Bear
Premium Member

I quit paying attention years ago to the name on the pump. Price, age of equipment and amount of business to indicate high turnover of volume is all I look at.
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan 41 View Post
All gasoline marketers in the United States get their gasoline from various terminals in their cities. This gasoline has been mixed in pipelines with gasoline from a number of refineries. Although we may purchase our gasoline from a specific refiner, the gasoline we actually pull out of the pipeline is really generic. Even retail outlets of major oil companies end up drawing their gasoline out of the same pipeline as everyone else....A quote from a major supplier...

So much for name brands...
Yeah, the base stocks may be the same/similar but I've been led to believe that different brands have their additives put in at less than refinery level. Even as far down as the tanker level.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
chi
Premium Member

Garage

I don't really buy "brand" gas I get premium since its the only ethanol free gas sold where I live and use seafoam every 1000 miles or so in my vn800 or oil change in my cars

Sent from my Nexus S
chi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Bear2123
Top Contributor

Been tild that the raw gas is about the same for eveyone through the pipelines However, its the additives that make the difference. Those are put in and mixed at the point the tanker truck is filled.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Strompilot
Top Contributor

My son-in-law is a truck driver and I have a couple friends who are, as well. Occasionally we get into a discussion on gasoline, as all have hauled gasoline at one time or another. What they all tell me is that, in fact, the gasoline is all the same, however when the truck pumps gas into the tanks at a gas station, the driver adds whatever additive that particular "brand" uses to make their brand of gas unique. Othewise, it's generic gasoline from the refinery to the main storage facility to the delivery tanker to the gas station. It only gets brand-specific at the gas station when that particular brand of additive is dumped into the storage tanks at the station. So don't put too much stock in TV or magazine ads.

'09 650 VStrom
Sharing my wife's '09 Classic LT (sold)
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Does it really matter WHERE it gets the additives? Point is what comes out of the pump IS different based on brand.

...BUT, I don't think it's enough of a difference to warrant going out of your way to get a particular brand. I tend to get gas at any decent-volume gas station. Seafoam in the winter, in case I go a few weeks without riding I won't have to worry about that ethanol gumming stuff up, or moisture rusting the tank (since seafoam traps moisture).

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
rick50

A local Chevron distributor told me their additives happen at the tanker as well......I like to run pure gas without any ethanol blend in it. You can see if you can get it in your area by checking here...........

http://pure-gas.org/
rick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Does it really matter WHERE it gets the additives?
It does, inasmuch as the implication of the OP was that all gas is the same.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
PatC
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick50 View Post
A local Chevron distributor told me their additives happen at the tanker as well......I like to run pure gas without any ethanol blend in it. You can see if you can get it in your area by checking here...........

http://pure-gas.org/

All of the ethanol-free gas around here is premium, which I won't burn anymore. Since I redid the air intake, pipes and jets, premium makes it run sluggish and too rich, and my mileage drops.

And for what it's worth, that list on that link is incomplete. There are two stations I know of that sell ethanol-free that are not card lock stations.
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder

Last edited by PatC; 11-26-2012 at 06:20 PM.
PatC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement