Bridgestone or Perelli ? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
tigertom

Garage

I must be hard on tires, wore the stock dunlop out in 6600 miles, replaced it with a 170/80 (slowed down the speedo a little) pirelli route 66, worn out now with 15000 miles on tire. will buy another pirelli. 06 900 classic LT.
tigertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Chuluun

I replaced the D404s with MT66 and for a while I thought I'd made the wrong choice, as they took longer to scrub in properly than any bike tyre I've ever had. Hopefully that means they'll last a long time, I don't know, but they're showing little or no wear yet (after maybe 3000 miles).

They're working very well now, much better than the Dunlops, and I'm happy with them. But next time, screw longevity, I'm just going to buy the tyre that grips best and soonest. The problem with the Dunlops is they don't even make up for short lifespan by having great grip.
Chuluun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Helek_52
Top Contributor

Garage
Default Pirelli Update

Ok, ok, i know i've revived a 2-year old thread, but i wanted to update my results on the MT-66 i ran on my Custom since i'm just about to replace it.

I was really satisfied with the overall performance of the tire, although i was suprised to see that i got the same mileage with it (14,000 mi) that i did with the stock Dunlop. I believe the reason for that is the areas that i drove in. With the Dunlop, i drove around in Minnesota, with the MT-66 the majority of miles was in the Arizona desert. I think (just guessing) that the extreme heat of the summer will cause the tire to become overly soft and wear quicker.

Tire wear was consistent and there was no pitting or balance problems. I should state here that i used the balancing beads.

Handling was good throughout all climate riding changes. As i said before, i'm no sport-bike rider, but i will scrape metal occasionally in the turns. Straight-line was fine and cracks or road-snakes were not particularly troublesome. In my case, any problems were probably due more to my rear tire.

So there you go... overall i'd give it 4 stars out of 5. Highly recommended as a durable, good handling, and inexpensive tire.

My next tire is a Pirelli also, but this time i'm checking out the Night Dragons.
Helek_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #14
Dirtwiz
Premium Member

Garage

MT66 went 7,800 miles and was bald down the middle. Replaced with another MT66 since my front was still ok. I'm going to try the Bridgestones next time since I've heard they do better in heat and I ride in high temp most of the year.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:09 AM   #15
thegent

Helek, are you riding vn900 classic or custom?
Helek & Dirtwiz, what size rears did you go for (180/70 or 170/80)?

Thanks.
thegent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
Dirtwiz
Premium Member

Garage

thegent...I went with a 170/80 on my Classic and also the Barons overdrive front pulley. The tire corrected 2.2 mph and the pulley 4.4 mph so my speedo reads perfectly now according to radar signs.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #17
TCRay
Lifetime Premium

I replaced the stock Dunlops on my '08 900 Classic with Pirelli MT66 about 2500 miles ago. I have been caught in two rains and they handled excellent. Overall, the traction and ride are what I would expect from Pirelli. I read quite a few reviews on this forum, and then went on Amazon and other places selling them (if the reviews are accurate) and people were boasting 15,000+ on the Pirellis. That's what caused me to go with them.
TCRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #18
diehard rider
Top Contributor

I ran Pirellis MT66 on my 900 Classic LT when I had it and stand by them 100%. After going thru two rear Dunlops at 7k each, it was time to get rid of them. After reading all the great reviews on the MT66's I put a set on front/back. I had just over 15k on the rear and still had enough tread to go another 1k-1500 miles more but changed it out because of a 2k trip I was going on. And by the way, this was riding 2up 90% of the time. I had about 8k on the second one when I traded it in for my Vaquero and it still looked new. I wished Pirelli made my size for the Vaquero but they don't so I went dark side and now I'll get 30k-40k on my rear tire and loving it. I searched high and low for the best price on Piellis and I ran a 170/80/15 and here's two links for front and back tire from where I got mine. For the quality of these tire, you can't beat the price!

http://www.jakewilson.com/p/52/-/346...otorcycle-Tire

http://www.jakewilson.com/p/52/-/346...otorcycle-Tire

Kawi Quick release backrest
Kawi Passanger floorboards
Kawi Luggage rack
Klockwerks 9" windshield
Mustang Seat
Mustang pass backrest pad
Ipod adapter kit/Ipod
Black ISO Grip
Offset ISO highway pegs
PC5 W/ignition
Freedom Performance True Dual Exhaust
Altrimax HP 195/55/16 car tire.
Leather saddlebag chaps
Thunder mfg Tornado air intake
Thunder mfg Throttle Body Gasket
diehard rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #19
Denis

Updating since this post has come back to life and I've since ran through another set of MT66's. Got 35,000 km (21,800 miles) off that set. They've been consistent and great!

No I don't push it around I ride (IBA Member)...LOL

Last edited by Denis; 11-09-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement