Weak points - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #21
bass567

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawlty99 View Post
This. There is heaps of power in 5th so a 6th as overdrive would be perfect.
I cannot second this strong enough. I know this is a Vulcan and not a Ninja, but still, every time I push it to 70mph or higher I feel that I am doing something that the bike has not been really built for.

And as fawlty says, it is not that the power would not be there.

It is a shame. When reading some of the sister Vulcan forums, you can see that the higher models than our 900s do not have that problem at all and zip along happily at 80+mph without revving outside of their comfort zones.

I bough a Cobra tach (one of the best additions I did to the bike) and once the engine passes 4k rpm, it just doesn't sound right to me for long-term cruising (maybe for passing or some short sprint, yes, that would be OK).

I wish I could add the overdrive. This is a major drawback (to me) for an otherwise nearly-ideally balanced bike. But I won't switch to a 1600 just because of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #22
Denis

When you look at the price tag you get alot of new bike for the $. Very versatile and fits a huge range of riders. Many cosmetics and add ons are rider preferences... It's hard to find a biker that doesn't keep adding to his/her ride.

Do to the popularity of the bike, it's got loads of available accessories. All and all, very reliable.

If I was to peg what seems to be the most consistent big draw back stand out amongst most of us:

Noisy
High Revs
Missing sixth gear/OD
Seat
Speedo

I find it comforms to it's name...cruiser..and as such has "roll on" acceleration. I've had no "major" mechanical desastors.

I've added Front & Rear pulleys (user preference) which have dramatically changed the performance to the bike for the better.

Great on gas...

Nice performer...and yes the $ add-ons just keep coming...at least they don't break the bank!

Last edited by Denis; 11-22-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #23
Collinba

Garage

+1 on the money pit. I paid $7,800 for a new 2010 Classic LT and within 3000 miles have sunk $2,800 into accessaries. Best additions were the Mustang seat and the Scootworks front pully. Intend to put the ovesize rear tire on next. One other issue I had was the windshield was two high - had to cut it down three inches.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #24
V-Rider

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinba View Post
+1 on the money pit. I paid $7,800 for a new 2010 Classic LT and within 3000 miles have sunk $2,800 into accessaries. Best additions were the Mustang seat and the Scootworks front pully. Intend to put the ovesize rear tire on next. One other issue I had was the windshield was two high - had to cut it down three inches.
What size rear were you thinking about. Price is not really an issue so I was thinking a 200 since I do not plan on doing the pulley change.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #25
Cheesefood

This thread makes me happy. As a first time bike owner, I don't know anything different but I like this. I'm big - 6'3" tall and 260 lbs - and while I'd like a little more leg room, I understand that this - like most cars - will never be overly roomy. I feel good on it and could probably "zone in" for a couple hours on the open road with no problem. A stretch to get gas would suffice.

Most important, it's fun and it looks awesome. Seriously - I'm a big fan of understated looks. I'm not a peacock - I don't want to draw a ton of attention to my plumage. I think Harley's can be over the top and the Harley lifestyle is a turn-off to me. No-thank-you to the shirts, vests, beard, leather, tats, and other wearable marketing. I think Hondas can be cool, but they paint their logo all over the tank. I'm not a billboard for your brand name, thank you. Shadows have a nice shape, but a huge logo draws the eyes. It loses for me. Triumphs are OK, but get mixed reviews. Victories are nice. The Vulcan is the classic cruiser to me.

Vulcans have a classic shape and look. The logo is tastefully done. Mine is Debadged and you'd never know what bike it is unless you really knew bikes. I love a bike that looks like a bike. I don't want to ride a peacock like a Hayabusa, no matter how awesome the engine. Same with Harley - I don't want to immediately be thought of as a HOG. I like a motorcycle shaped motorcycle, and for me that's a classic cruiser.

Simple, understated, sexy, seductive. She doesn't need to draw attention to herself. If you want to know more about her, it's up to you to walk up and get to know her. She won't tell you her ride - you have to guess it. Oh yeah, she's a bitch, but a helluva ride.
Cheesefood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #26
Bill Braske
Top Contributor

My only real complaint was that at cruising speed (60-70) the speedo needle kinda covers part of the numbers on the clock. Not much of a complaint, but it's really all I've got.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #27
Richard Kerr
Top Contributor

Bill your absolutly right, I stand corrected, there is a weakness. I really hate having to run up to 80 to see what time it is.
Richard Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #28
Denis

Good point Bill. The digital display could have been moved to the right (empty space) since we don't often go that high on the speedo. One of those quirks I share. To keep it all centred, the space on the left could of had a Gear Position Indicator...aw..nice!

Last edited by Denis; 11-24-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #29
mdsimon80

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleco View Post
Besides stator, what are other weaknesses you have noticed on the 900?
Aleco the problem is not reliability. The two basic weaknesses are "no sixth gear, and the weight of the bike. I ride 80% hyway and am always looking for another gear, next the bike is light weight, you will get blown allover the road on windy days. If you drive highways go 1300cc or more.

Last edited by mdsimon80; 11-24-2012 at 08:55 AM.
mdsimon80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #30
Collinba

Garage

V-Rider - I intend to replace the rear tire with a 200/70, either Bridgestone or Pirelle. There are a number or really good threads on the forum regarding rear tire size. One of the treads had the following information - can't remember which one but I copied it. At 60 mph

Tire size stock rpm rpm with scootworks pulley
180/70-15 (stock) 3511 3304
170/80-15 3403 3203
200/70-15 3362 3164

I have the front Scootworks pully and love it.
Advertisement