Wow! What A Ride! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 11-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
Oldturer

Default Wow! What A Ride!

Took a trip from W. TN to S. Central La. a month ago and had an experience on the way back. I pull a trailer with my V1700V and no problem at all. I also am darkside and love the mileage I get on it.

I mounted a platform on the tongue in front of my cooler for extra gas. It was a little close to the hitch, but worked out fine. On the way back, I filled up in Opelousas, La and filled the 5gal container as well, everything is fine...80/85 crusin I-10 and really enjoyed being home with family. I make it to just south of Jackson, Miss and hit a rough spot and the platform collasped and the can went side to side, swinging the bike like a dog with a toy. I was at 85 when it started; the wabble took me to the shoulder as I was able to at least hold it up. Off in the ditch it went, deep enough the people following couldn't see me till I crested the other side riding the hell out the beast. By then, it was slow enough I had control again and pulled across the feeder road and parked it. No damage, no jackknife, no crap in my pants as I never panicked. I put what gas in the bike I could and the rest in the trailer. The only damage was it bent the hitch down a bit, but still able to pull the trailer. Another 300 miles and I pulled it in the shop and did what repairs were needed.

I'm convinced it is an excellent bike for the road..and stout enough to take one hell of a beating when needed.
Oldturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
markstep

Wow! Glad you came out of that ok
MS hot shot windscreen
Fuel Genies
not sure what else added by p/o
markstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
old

Garage

Good ridin' man! Glad you weren't hurt.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

Wow, talk about "pucker" factor! It's times like that you discover you have other parts that can grab ahold of seat to hang on!

Glad you're OK!
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
Oldturer

I have over 3 million miles on the road, panicking is not an option when one has the close calls I've had. I can also put in front of that, the Good Lord has looked after me with care!

I'm also convinced the car tire had alot to do with me being able to keep the bike upright and rolling, even though it was in a wabble. I feel the wabble would have been worse with a round tire and I doubt keeping it up would have happened. I can't get to certain speeds as it gets squirrely, but I don't need to get over 85/90 on any road. If I have to go faster, then, I'll just pull over and start shooting...less danger that way.

One question guys...has anyone come up with a way to increase fuel mileage?
With the trailer I averaged 39mpg, but the trailer was loaded down. When solo, I notice I am not getting better with increased miles ridden. I'm stock all the way..only changes is the tire and wrapping the exhaust with header wrap to cool it down.
Oldturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
R-man
Top Contributor

Again, WOW !!. Glad you are OK and you are able to celebrate Thanksgiving 2012 !!!
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
R-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #7
smedlin
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldturer View Post

One question guys...has anyone come up with a way to increase fuel mileage?
With the trailer I averaged 39mpg, but the trailer was loaded down. When solo, I notice I am not getting better with increased miles ridden. I'm stock all the way..only changes is the tire and wrapping the exhaust with header wrap to cool it down.
The only bike modification I can think of to increase gas is to change out one of the pulleys. Either bigger in the front or smaller in the back by 1 gear.

(I think it's that way, go big in front or small in back).

anyways, that would spread the gears out a bit and lower the RPMs.

The aftermarket front pulley's are usually much cheaper than the rear ones, due to the fact they are smaller and don't need to be chromed/fancy looking etc. But.. still not cheap.

(and don't buy any made from aluminum.)

2004 Vulcan 2000
smedlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
GimpyLeg

Garage

Good job keeping it upright and giving credit in the proper places!
Rear speakers
Mirror Extender/Risers
Trunk Rack
Dunlop E3 160/80HB-16
2008 Honda Shadow Aero
Engine guards
Memphis Shades windscreen
GimpyLeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

To increase gas mileage you must increase engine efficiency. Tons of information on here for doing that, but the big three will be improve intake air flow with a less restrictive intake and air filter, improve exhaust with a less restrictive exhaust, and re-tune with something like the Power Commander V. You really need a custom tune performed with the bike on a dyno. Catch RacnRay on here, he has been doing this kind of stuff for centuries(!) and can give very specific suggestions. Me, I'm just an old geezer that tinkers!
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

After, I changed to sythetic oil and drilled three holes in each side of the exhaust. (as described in a thread on here.)
I got an increase of about 2 mpg.

Scott

All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Scott_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement