Dobeck TFI - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1600

Old 11-11-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Pretzel
Top Contributor

Default Dobeck TFI

Installed the Dobeck TFI yesterday, and it was easier than I was expecting. Noticed that I got a smoother throttle response, but not so much MORE throttle response. Didn't get any pings either, but perhaps testing on a 70 degree night with 30 mph wind gusts isn't ideal? LOL That was the main reason for the install, to correct the mild ping/knock on hotter rides.

Was expecting a bigger difference in roll on power, but would say if there was any, it wasn't much. That was a little disappointing. Acceleration was smoother and didn't sound as strained though. Perhaps once I combine it with Chuckster's air intake next Spring it will make a "seat of pants" difference.

Did notice that the exhaust note seemed to change for the better? Seemed a tad deeper...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Busboy

Pretzel, I've noticed that you don't have an air filter mod, so adding the TFI wouldn't be beneficial as just having those V&H duals fitted. That would be why the performance isn't is you were hoping for.
I've added a set of Cobras to my Classic and had an O2sensor fitted to check the mixtures and throughout the rev range it showed that the mixtures were ideal. I've now added a Chucksters air filter mod along with a TFI and will be doing some tuning hopefully soon. May even do some tuning with the quiet cores in also.
Vulcan VN1600 Classic '06
Fitted: tachometer, genuine windshield, K Drive hard bags, upgraded Meanstreak clutch spring with Judges washers, Cobra Speedster Longshots, Dobeck TFI controller, Chucksters air filter plate, Mustang seats with drivers backrest.

Up coming items: volt meter, oil and temp gauges.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Pretzel
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busboy View Post
Pretzel, I've noticed that you don't have an air filter mod, so adding the TFI wouldn't be beneficial as just having those V&H duals fitted. That would be why the performance isn't is you were hoping for.
I've added a set of Cobras to my Classic and had an O2sensor fitted to check the mixtures and throughout the rev range it showed that the mixtures were ideal. I've now added a Chucksters air filter mod along with a TFI and will be doing some tuning hopefully soon. May even do some tuning with the quiet cores in also.
On the contrary, the 1600 runs notoriously lean from the factory, and I had been getting some pinging under throttle after the engine was good and warm. I've noticed, now, that there is no more pinging and that the throttle pull is much more even (consistent) with a little more oomph than before.

As far as the throttle response, I can feel some, just not as much as I'd hoped from other testimonials. BUT... I'm hoping to add Chuckster's intake this spring to increase it even more!
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
Busboy

Actually Pretzel, I've checked the mixture on my bike when I changed my pipes over to the Cobra longs as I fitted an O2 sensor in the rear pipe and the readings I got were that the mixture with that setup was running just a touch under the good mixture setting (slightly lean) but not excessively lean.
Vulcan VN1600 Classic '06
Fitted: tachometer, genuine windshield, K Drive hard bags, upgraded Meanstreak clutch spring with Judges washers, Cobra Speedster Longshots, Dobeck TFI controller, Chucksters air filter plate, Mustang seats with drivers backrest.

Up coming items: volt meter, oil and temp gauges.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement