My first Classic LT..... - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 2000

Old 11-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
TB2000
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
Thanks guys.

Think I might try the Baron's and see what happens. I might increase the fuel just a notch or 2.
Also, I have been looking for engine guards for her but don't want the big ole guards that stick out about a foot and a half. Found some for about 250. Anyone have any suggestions.

Mike
These are Cobra fatty bars. Are these the ones you are referring to that stick out a foot and a half? These are for sale ($100 shipped).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0620.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	14319  
TB2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
Foxmanok
Premium Member

Garage
Default Guards

Hey there TB2000,
Is that offer of 100.00 shipped good for me?
Foxmanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
TB2000
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxmanok View Post
Hey there TB2000,
Is that offer of 100.00 shipped good for me?
Yes, it is
Old 11-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #14
Foxmanok
Premium Member

Garage
Default Guards

How's the condition? Any rash or dents?
Foxmanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
TB2000
Top Contributor

sent you a pm
Old 11-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #16
jmorris

yeh, TB, that's the ones. Glad you found a buyer for them tho, dude.
jmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #17
markstep

As the K&N filter is supposedly about the best, what do you suggest? I was looking at adding one to my meanie in the spring. I understand about the OEM airbox, but do you just change that, or grampsize it? In your opinion is the Baron better?
MS hot shot windscreen
Fuel Genies
not sure what else added by p/o
markstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
smedlin
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by markstep View Post
As the K&N filter is supposedly about the best, what do you suggest? I was looking at adding one to my meanie in the spring. I understand about the OEM airbox, but do you just change that, or grampsize it? In your opinion is the Baron better?
The K&N filters are "up there" in quality.

But I'm not sure you fully understand why they said to change the airbox.

Maybe you do, but for those that don't..

Think of it like a huge air conditioner, with a huge compressor (engine). You have an intake "grill" that lets in a fair amount of air.. but you know that compressor can handle more air.

Now, you CAN change the filter on the intake, and perhaps some more air will reach that compressor.. but not much more.

Or.. you can take the intake off and put on a bigger one, which will allow more air to enter.

This means removing the entire intake, not just the filter or the part that holds the filter.

NOW your able to send lot's more air into that compressor.

But..that's kind of moot unless you increase the size of the output vent (pipes). Otherwise you have a bottle neck, as those pipes can only push out so much air.

And.. if you do both of those, you will need to put on some sort of fuel manager (power commander).

This is because the engine is "programmed" to expect a certain amount of air to be sucked in, and will only put X amount of fuel into the mix. You have to be able to tell the bike to add more fuel.

it's not cheap, doing all three. But it increases the horsepower a lot. Which is why people do it (that and for the looks).

The Big Baron's intake is one of the top ones. And one of the most popular. You have a ton of visual "options" to choose from with it.

2004 Vulcan 2000
smedlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #19
jmorris

Geez, I went and looked at the Baron's air intakes. I'm either gonna have to take out a 2nd on the house or put the honey on the streets. Damn, I think I'm gonna run mine clean for awhile and hope I don't grab a lot of dirt. I can't afford that right now.
jmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #20
rkd2.3
Top Contributor

Default air filters

Im not meaning to toss COLD water on all you High air Flow design[aka K& N] filter fans & Im not an engineer, but I DO hold a decades old, qualified Journeymans ticket.
Thus I would like to have one of you supporters explain to me exactly HOW a filter that can flow MORE air into my engine, can do it without also flowing MORE dirt. I can see through a high flow filter, the spaces in the material are VISIBLE to the naked eye. The High flow design filter increases its filter efficiency as it gets dirty, meaning that dirt is trapped on the filter media & reduces the open spaces in the media. Thus a dirty High flow does a better job of cleaning your engines air?, BUT it also reduces it air flow rate as it clogs, so what do we do? WE CLEAN IT , allowing more dirt into the engine.
FYI, it takes only ONE oz of road dust per 100 cubic INCHES of engine, getting through the filter to TOTALLY ruin your engine !!!! That means that if y our V2K's air filter lets 1.25 OUNCES of dust into the engine OVER THE LIFE OF THE ENGINE, its worn internally , beyond acceptable limits !!! Think about it guys!!!!
I have yet to be convinced by filter reps & salespeople , that ANY brand of high flow filter can achieve increased air flow without sacrificing filter efficiency.
Just MY opinion & experience.

plus

04 Vulcan 2000

Old school turbocharged VW trike

VROC # 7003
ROG # 175
RKMC
rkd2.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement