Swinging arm bearings going, belt rubbing? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 11-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
Neil Newnham

Default Swinging arm bearings going, belt rubbing?

My bike is a 2009 Voyager with 35,000 miles on her and I suspect the swinging arm bearings are going. I have had the wheel alignment checked and we have reset the drive belt to be in the middle of the pulleys. After riding for a few miles the belt is pulling over to the left and rubbing against the outer edge of the pulley. There does seem to be a little play in the swing arm when the bike is raised with the rear wheel off the ground. Does anyone have any advice before I strip the entire back end off and take out the swinging arm?
Neil Newnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
davidsheek
Top Contributor

Garage

You said you reset the belt to be in the middle of the pulley, That's great but need to ask "Did you use the alignment marks above the axel to get both sides the same?

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
davidsheek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Busboy

Neil, I believe the only way to know if the bearings are worn, would be to check it when the bike is on the ground. Because this is the normal riding position of the arm where the most of the wear would be.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Vulcan VN1600 Classic '06
Fitted: tachometer, genuine windshield, K Drive hard bags, upgraded Meanstreak clutch spring with Judges washers, Cobra Speedster Longshots, Dobeck TFI controller, Chucksters air filter plate, Mustang seats with drivers backrest.

Up coming items: volt meter, oil and temp gauges.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:11 AM   #4
Neil Newnham

I have checked alignment marks myself and with this with two different dealers. Only one suggested bearings when he had it lifted on the bench. It did appear to have a little sideways movement to me when he showed me. I don't want to spend a lot of money on mechanic's labour so I'll break the bike down myself.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #5
RogerE

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Newnham View Post
My bike is a 2009 Voyager with 35,000 miles on her and I suspect the swinging arm bearings are going. I have had the wheel alignment checked and we have reset the drive belt to be in the middle of the pulleys. After riding for a few miles the belt is pulling over to the left and rubbing against the outer edge of the pulley. There does seem to be a little play in the swing arm when the bike is raised with the rear wheel off the ground. Does anyone have any advice before I strip the entire back end off and take out the swinging arm?
I questioned the need for lubrication of the swing arm bearings in another post a while ago. The manual calls for them to be lubricated at 15,000 miles/24 months. This of course requires taking half the motorcycle apart, which IMHO is ridiculous for a routine maintenance procedure. The consensus at that time was that the bearings are not normally subject to much wear and that it would be just as good to wait until they need to be replaced rather than going through the bother to lubricate them.

Anyway, did you ever lubricate yours as recommended? Please let us know what you find when you take your bike apart and inspect the bearings. Thanks,

Hannigan Astro GT sidecar
Grasshopper backrest
Lowered passenger boards
W/S bag
Kuryakyn offset dually pegs
Bad Boy air horn
Firestone 195/60/16 rear tire
Airhawk 2
Shell Rotella T6 synthetic oil
Racnray's throttle mod
K&N air filter
Drilled exhaust end caps

Patriot Guard Rider
Taps Bugler - Bugles Across America
Sons of the American Legion NO-VEL Post 159

I spent most of my money on wine, women and motorcycles. The rest I wasted.
RogerE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #6
Neil Newnham

I have not lubricated them and strongly suspect it has not been done under the service schedule as I would have noticed that labour charge!

I have checked the belt movement on the ground also, spending an hour messing about with a dealer doing the same thing. It is not until I put a few miles on her that it makes its move over to the left after being move to the middle.

Oh well, one lives and learns an expensive lesson and I must pay more attention to the service manual now I have one.

I will post details of what I find.

Thanks for the input.
Neil

Last edited by Neil Newnham; 11-23-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
twowheeladdict
Top Contributor

Garage

I would recommend using a wheel alignment tool to align the wheel and not rely on the tick marks on the swingarm.

When I serviced my swingarm bearings the lubricant that was there was clean. Sure there was minimum amount of lubricant, but it looked sufficient and there was no wear on any of the parts.

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
barryge

Have you inspected the drive belt? I would think the belt is the weakest link with your bike problem.
barryge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Neil Newnham

The belt looks fine but a little polished on the left had side as a result of the rubbing. I am going to take the back wheel out and the belt off, check everything and then decide on taking the swinging arm out.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
barryge

If your going to take the belt off you might be able to reverse it and give it a try. Not sure if the belt is one directional.
barryge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement