Well I Took The Leap Last Night - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 11-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
GC1218

Default Well I Took The Leap Last Night

I finally broke down and bought a left over 2012 blue Vaquero. I picked it up last night with 0 miles on it. I've been looking at them for almost a year now. They are running some pretty good deals trying to blow out the left over 2012's. I know what you guys are going to say, the black ones are the fastest but I figure the blue one will get all the chicks, LOL.

I rode it home last night and holy crap it's been a long time and I almost don't remember how to ride one any more. I'm not too proud to tell you guys it scared the crap out of me.

I think I'm gonna just take it easy for a few weeks and just practice riding around the neighborhood. Slow speeds and lots of stop and go's to try and shake off the rust a little. Then in 2 or 3 weeks I'm going to take the MSF course and get my licence.

From what I can tell so far it really rides nice. I thought for sure with the weight of the Vaquero it wouldn't handle that good but it seams pretty balanced to my untrained butt. I was really impressed how smooth it rides.

However there a few issues I will need to resolve pretty soon. First off since i'm short and fat I really need those mirror extensions I've seen you guys talking about. If I remember correctly you guys said the Vaquero needs them both threaded in the same direction which I guess is different then most other motorcycles. Next is I can't quite get the heals of my feet on the ground so I'll be looking into an after market seat real soon. I was thinking about the Ultimate Young guns since it says it moves you back and down about an inch. I'm thinking about maybe letting a little air out of the rear suspension. What is the range 0-15 psi or something like that. What are you guys running for pressure?

Sorry I didn't mean to make my first post so long but I'm pretty excited and have a lot of questions. Thanks in advance for any advice you guys may have.
GC1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
MnV500

GC1218,

Great idea in taking the MSF class. I was out of biking for ~30 years and took the MSF just to test the waters before I bought. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. To my surprise I actually learned a few things! Enjoy your new ride!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

Welcome, fellow Vaquero! I wouldn't say to stay in the neighborhood so much as stay out of heavy traffic. You can brush up a lot of skills in an empty parking lot. With this economy there are usually several around. Actually, most bikes use standard right-hand threads - I believe Yamaha(?) is the only one that uses one left and one right. Another option for lowering just a tad is to have that seat rebuilt. Mine if off to AZ right now, several companies that do it.
And yes, black is fastest - but, you keep the blue, as I'm married, and the only part of the wedding vows my wife remembers is "till death do us part!"
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
RACNRAY
Vendor

CONGRATS!!! My Vaquero is 19 months old and has 29,000 miles on it. I garrantee with time you'll love your V!!
Hey, the red one does pretty good in gettin the chicks too!!

RACNRAY

BTW...don't forget to check out the 1700 section, lots of good stuff there.
RACNRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
CONGRATS!!! My Vaquero is 19 months old and has 29,000 miles on it. I garrantee with time you'll love your V!!
Hey, the red one does pretty good in gettin the chicks too!!

RACNRAY

BTW...don't forget to check out the 1700 section, lots of good stuff there.
No Ray, you're thinking of the wrong kind of chicks!
Just go back to the shop and make us some more goodies!
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
tjhfwtx

Congrats!!! I LOVE my 2012 Voyager. Be careful, and take it slow as you get back in the groove.
tjhfwtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
RACNRAY
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
No Ray, you're thinking of the wrong kind of chicks!
Just go back to the shop and make us some more goodies!
LOL!!! They are so cute and fuzzy. With those kinda "chicks" I could have saved myself lots of $$$$ and NOT bought a Mustang touring seat with a passenger backrest. I could just put the chicks in my shirt pocket!! And have many chicks on one date!!

RACNRAY
RACNRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Hey GC; welcome to the forum.

A couple of notes.
Very few dealers put air in the rear shocks. It is likely they are set at 0.
I would suggest getting some air IN them though. A few pounds of air and a lower rebound setting is just right for me on my Voyager.

I am a shorter rider too. A lot of riding boots have a little more sole and heel height than regular shoes.
When I first got my VV; it felt real tall even with my boots on. Now, I don't really notice the height until I head to the store and don't change out of my tennis shoes.
If you trust your legs (and I am guessing you do ); give it a few miles before doing anything to lower it. I have heard a lot of comfort complaints about seats that lower you.
Most people who drop it at a stop do so because of oil, gravel, a pot hole or such.

I know some people with shorter legs have trouble getting it off the stand. You can replace the stand with one for a 1500 for a little less lean. Also, a good way to make it easier off the stand is to turn the bars to the full right stop; I use that one in parking lots with a leftward slope.

Congrats on the bike! and ride safe!

Scott

All Balls tapered bearings
Clearview re-curve tall sheild w/vent
Avon grips with Rays Throttle Mod
Thunder BAK for stock covers
Power Commander V
Cobra Tri-oval slipons
Wrapped headers
Corbin Dual Touring (w/Comfort foam)
Wolo Bad Boy
Glove compartment keyless mod
Can-am antennae
Ipod connector
Saddlebag side and top trim

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Scott_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
IL Vaquero

congrads on the vaquero had mine a year or so and love it I keep finding things I want for it. taller sheild and rays throttle mod are good starts good luck and stay safe
Old 11-22-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

+1 to what Scott said, I was gonna say that too! A seat is a good option but they can be pricey and often a thinner or 'easy reach' seat can be uncomfortable. Lots of times some thick-soled riding boots can cure the same problems (especially if it's only a small amount of reach needed). Many motorcycle specific boots have really thick oil-resistant soles anyway.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement