Possible fuel problem? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 800

Old 11-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

Considering how I've pretty much kept up with the maintenance, my last oil change was the first time I ever pulled the screen, mostly because didnt know were it was till I was helping a friend change there motor in an 04 800. I looked for it a couple times and just figured it didnt have one. I was looking on the bottom of the motor for it. DUH!!! Maybe that let something break loose and cause the plug to do that.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

Oh when I did pull the screen, it was pretty clean. A few small shavings that I figure was from the breakin since I did get quite a few small shavings on my first 2 oil changes. Nothing since. Wishing you and your family a safe and happy thanksgiving!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #13
sfair
Top Contributor

Those pictures are showing that you "may" have a leaky fuel tap and/or float valve.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

They are both origanals. Had the hose off of the tank about a month ago and didnt notice the tap leaking, but have notice my milage verying about 7-8 mpg lately, just figured it wsa in the way, and places I've been riding. Cold nights, setting at work overnight and only 3 mile trips to and from work. Plan to pull carb and give a good cleaning, possiblly this weekend, will check float while doing that.. Did pull filter last night to clean it and noticed a faint gas odor from the carb.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Those pictures are showing that you "may" have a leaky fuel tap and/or float valve.
SFair, please elaborate on this so that I can learn to identify the "telltale" signs of what you see here as being the problem(s) with the fuel tap.

Last edited by Comanche; 11-21-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

Pulled the carb and cleaned it today, wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Had about 3 gallons in the tank, sat on cement by bike for about 4 hours, no sign of a leak, so feel the fuel valve is ok. Changed the pilot jet from stock 48-50. Also replaced the fuel line from te tank to carb, was getting cracks on the ends of hose. May have been sucking air? Has a slightly deeper tone to it now, and neighbor I ride with frequently says sounds like a different bike now.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #17
sfair
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
SFair, please elaborate on this so that I can learn to identify the "telltale" signs of what you see here as being the problem(s) with the fuel tap.
1. When bike sits, fuel tap leaks.
2. Then carb will overflow.
3. Back cylinder floods.
4. When the engine is started, excess fuel burns, but leaves a tell-tale sign of excess fuel by a carbon build up on the plug.

Now, if after the start, the bike was taken for a 500 mile ride, one might not notice the difference in the plugs, front to back, but in the above posters pictures, it is quite clear that the rear plug is dirtier than the front.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
Pulled the carb and cleaned it today, wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. Had about 3 gallons in the tank, sat on cement by bike for about 4 hours, no sign of a leak, so feel the fuel valve is ok. Changed the pilot jet from stock 48-50. Also replaced the fuel line from te tank to carb, was getting cracks on the ends of hose. May have been sucking air? Has a slightly deeper tone to it now, and neighbor I ride with frequently says sounds like a different bike now.
A worn hose theoretically can cause a "constricting intermittent flow" situation. Then again this can occur in any fluid system using hoses to convey said fluids to other components of the system. It is thus theoretically possible that the new fuel line helped correct this intermittent flow issue. Somewhat like a kid does when sucking soda or juice through a long pinched or chewed up straw and you snatch the disgusting straw out of the kid's mouth and shove in a new one to stop the kid from annoying you with that "slurpee" sound. Problem solved!

If the cracks were on the end of the line where it attaches to the carb inlet elbow fitting or on the end of the line where it attaches to the fuel tap and were not causing you any noticeable fuel leaks I would say NO to sucking in air since not only would air enter but a fuel leak would also be evident. If I remember correctly you said all you smelled was a little fuel in your air filter right? It is possible that the slightest leakage over an extended amount of time along with a sticking float and a tap not turned off all the way allowed excess fuel to enter into the inside of your air filter housing. However, the air filter housing drain is designed to drain excess fuel or oil from the crankcase vent (if attached) and here again you would have seen leakage someplace on your engine beneath the air filter housing or from its drain. Unless of course if the leakage was extremely minimal and your air filter housing drain is clogged but here again I suspect you would notice fuel leakage around the bottom of the housing or on your engine underneath it. I'm just going along with your reasoning at this point but you seem on track to fix it that's for sure.

Since you said your floats are good then that leaves what you said you checked which was to ensure your tap was fine and then you replaced your pilot. It is thus possible that your pilot was worn in this case.

I'm interested to see what happens now Rick. Keep posting with your results because I like reading how patient you are with your bike and trying to figure out and solve problems that help us all out.

P.S. Make sure not to over-tighten the rubber carb holder/intake boot because doing saw causes it to "flare" and air can enter around it when it is not supposed to. I just tighten mine index finger snug and use threadlock to keep it tightened in place so that if it ever has to be removed again in the future all that needs to be done is clean the threads after removal and repeat this process.

@SFair: Roger that and thanks.

Last edited by Comanche; 11-21-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement