Getting a new 900 soon! - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #11
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

i dont think that going of a public forum and admitting to insurance fraud is the smartest thing to do...
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
Aleco

Two different crashes two different companies, hey I do'nt know when it's going to be the next chance to win one to an isurance company.
Aleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #13
Aleco

The Irony on this is that the second company screwed one of my clients big time, he was happy when I told him this.
Aleco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:39 AM   #14
Cheesefood

Going to pick it up today. I've been in communication with the seller and he seems like a straight guy, but when he sent me a pic of the title it's in the previous owners name. I did a VIN check and it's not currently listed as stolen or totalled, he claims he took it in exchange for some work he did, he has a bill of sale from the previous owner, but never titled it in his name. He's going to look for his copy of the bill of sale from the guy he got it from. That should be all I need to cover my ass when I'm titling this bike, right?
Cheesefood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
Cyclesarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood View Post
Going to pick it up today. I've been in communication with the seller and he seems like a straight guy, but when he sent me a pic of the title it's in the previous owners name. I did a VIN check and it's not currently listed as stolen or totalled, he claims he took it in exchange for some work he did, he has a bill of sale from the previous owner, but never titled it in his name. He's going to look for his copy of the bill of sale from the guy he got it from. That should be all I need to cover my ass when I'm titling this bike, right?
I'm always a little leery of deals like this, the story has all the signs of a curber(unlicensed dealer). I'm sure there ARE people that trade vehicles for services rendered, but if you look at Craigslist you'll see a disproportional HIGH number of vehicles for sale that were obtained in barter for "work I did for a guy". Here there is a guy named Josh, that moves dozens of vehicles every year, and he always uses the same reason he doesn't have the title in his name, "traded for a job he did for a guy".

I don't know how YOU feel about the possibility of dealing with a curber, I'll do it if it's something I want, but I'll also thoroughly inspect the vehicle, trust NOTHING the seller says about services and maintenances performed, it's accident history or anything else. The curber is covered by "well, that's what the guy I got it from told me, I'm just as much a victim as you" if anything goes wrong.

Above all else, IF I feel like I am dealing with a curber, I can and will be downright abusive in negotiations (I know HE was when he acquired the vehicle). If nothing else, the fact that there is a chance you'll get hosed on the deal with the title NOT being in his name lowers the value of the bike.
Cyclesarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:21 AM   #16
Cheesefood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclesarge View Post
I'm always a little leery of deals like this, the story has all the signs of a curber(unlicensed dealer). I'm sure there ARE people that trade vehicles for services rendered, but if you look at Craigslist you'll see a disproportional HIGH number of vehicles for sale that were obtained in barter for "work I did for a guy". Here there is a guy named Josh, that moves dozens of vehicles every year, and he always uses the same reason he doesn't have the title in his name, "traded for a job he did for a guy".

I don't know how YOU feel about the possibility of dealing with a curber, I'll do it if it's something I want, but I'll also thoroughly inspect the vehicle, trust NOTHING the seller says about services and maintenances performed, it's accident history or anything else. The curber is covered by "well, that's what the guy I got it from told me, I'm just as much a victim as you" if anything goes wrong.

Above all else, IF I feel like I am dealing with a curber, I can and will be downright abusive in negotiations (I know HE was when he acquired the vehicle). If nothing else, the fact that there is a chance you'll get hosed on the deal with the title NOT being in his name lowers the value of the bike.
I think you nailed it, but I bought the bike. It's a beaut and at 3500 it's a steal. The title is signed by the previous owner but the guy I bought it from never signed it so I can just fill in my info and send it in. The last time I bought a bike private party, the DMV never asked for the bill of sale.

So I test drove it and it ran fine. Bought it and rode about 40+ miles home and it was just fine (although cold as hell for a ride). It has cobra offset pipes, new tires and a fresh battery. Debadged tank, and no scratches or dings. She's loud.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
Cyclesarge

Congrats, it sounds like everything worked out alright for you.
Cyclesarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #18
Cheesefood

Thar she be.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:58 AM   #19
Vulcar

Nice looking ride. Great price. I bet it was a cold ride with no shield. Enjoy it!

2007 VN900 Classic LT (Dragon Theme)
Cobra- Pipes, FI2000, Passenger Floor boards, Engine guard and luggage rack.
Memphis Shade with 9" windshield.
Mustang seat
Chrome covers for neck, radiator, Rear brake Master Cylinder, and regulator.
Kuryakan Grips
RC Components Nitro Chrome wheels w/ Night Dragon Tires.
Çobra Power Flo breather
Vulcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #20
CaptKurt

Garage

The prior owner never registered issues happened to me as well. It was a 2009 VN 1700 with less than 4k miles, so I was not worried about damage or anything like that. The guy I bought it from had it less than 6 months, says he just did not like the big bike. The registration had been just paid when he bought it and he never updated it.

I was concerned, but when I went to the DMV to check things out, the original titled owner had signed off liability and I had no problems with the registration or title.

Good thing to be leery of, but its all pretty easy to check out.

The Green Machine - 2009 VN1700 Classic
Silver Streak - 2008 VN900 Classic
CaptKurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement