Engine advice, SW Ohio area - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Engine Work

Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Cinci Ryder

Default Engine advice, SW Ohio area

Picking up my 97 1500 Classic this weekend, along with some serious polishing, pretty sure motor is done. ( getting the bike real cheap) Now a shop had quoted me in the ball park of what a used motor is going for online to rebuild it. Are there any rebuild kits out there? If so, any to shy away from. I am a fairly skilled wrench, but no real bike engine knowledge. So I plan on paying to have it gone thru. Also if anyone is from the area any Vulcan guru I should talk to? Bike aparently was ran low on oil and is part seized. I do know to make sure pog gets replaced with the metal one. Any advice here would be great, the cheaper the fix the better, within reason because I want it done right. Or should I say not affraid to spend the money, but I want to know I am going to get the most I can out of said money lol

Last edited by Cinci Ryder; 10-03-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Cinci Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Cinci Ryder

This is a 97 modelif that helps
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
sfair
Top Contributor

You are in a tough spot. Engine rebuild can get quite pricey in a hurry for your bike, particularely if it was run out of oil. Main bearings are not replaceable and require new cases. $$$$ Having someone else do it, more $$$$$.
How many miles on the bike?

Post back.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Cinci Ryder

1300 miles, and not 100 percent sure, if ran out of oil or what the deal is, sounds like my best bet is to pull it out, and tear it down myself before I make the choice.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
Bob Myers
Lifetime Premium

If you gave much for it you will likely be upside down rather quickly when you build an engine. I'd try ebay, there is a dismantler up in Ohio selling stuff with warranty.
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

N4RWM
Bob Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #6
Cinci Ryder

Na, I didnt give much for it, and its only been sitting a month, I honestly dont know that the motor is toast, taking my friends word, he was riding with the guy when it "went". Said it was running fine, seemed to shoot sparks from the pipes and now it seems locked. I am a pretty good wrench on cars, went to school to be an auto and truck mech, dont do it for a living now, but with some useful input and a good manual I could tackle about anything. And not looking to fix up and sell for a profit, looking to fix and ride, so as long as i dont invest double what its worth I am really not that worried about it. I would rather rebuild it and know its right, then roll the dice on a used motor, unless said used motor was real cheap, compared to rebuild. I guess I will find out when I get it home this weekend and start going thru it! Thanks for the input you two!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Bob Myers
Lifetime Premium

Sparkies out the exhaust and then locked. May get away with a new set of rods and pistons and a used head.
Iron Butt Ass.#34911

N4RWM
Bob Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
Steammaker
BOTM Winner, April 2014

Check out this link. I think you'll like it.....

http://www.riderforums.com/mean-stre...ine-build.html
Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Cinci Ryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinci Ryder View Post
1300 miles, and not 100 percent sure, if ran out of oil or what the deal is, sounds like my best bet is to pull it out, and tear it down myself before I make the choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steammaker View Post
Check out this link. I think you'll like it.....

http://www.riderforums.com/mean-stre...ine-build.html
I am sure this will help, I found a link yesterday with hundreds of pics and good notes on a complete tear down of a 1500. Cant find the link at the moment, but I will find it and get it up. Thanks guys
Old 11-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
classiccruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinci Ryder View Post
I am sure this will help, I found a link yesterday with hundreds of pics and good notes on a complete tear down of a 1500. Cant find the link at the moment, but I will find it and get it up. Thanks guys
Hey I'm having my mechanic replace the seals on the top end of my motor on my 1997 1500 classic and he is looking for information to help him. Did you ever find the link for the complete break down of our motor? Can you please post it. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
classiccruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement