Riding Pants Suggestions - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Motorcycle Safety And Riding Gear Discussions

Old 11-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
C00lCountry

Default Riding Pants Suggestions

I thought I would ask you guys/gals.

I originally had a pair of River Road pants but they are just huge on me since my weight lose. (70 pounds and still dropping)

I am shopping for some more pants to fit better. I was looking at the Tourmaster Flex pants. They seem to have a double liner for water and insulation. I also looked at the over pants by tourmaster that Roman did the review on. I have also checked into a pair of Scorpion Deuce pants. I actually order a pair but they was to small for me.

Does anyone have some they have, and liked?
I not a speed rider but do like a little protection.
I was thinking of a textile for bearthable features in summer.
Should I buy the winter and summer pants seperate?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I really really like tourmaster overpants. They are vented, and waterproof. They also have a VERY adjustable waist so they fit over anything you've got on and can sinch down tighter if you lose more weight. They can certainly be worn just as pants too if you'd prefer that over overpants, in that case just order one size down.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/114-...FYpFMgod2jcA7w

As far as protection, it's a 600D shell with 1680D impact panels. That makes them light and breathable but protect well where it counts. I wear mine year round, from triple digits to near freezing. I really like them in the summer because I can wear shorts underneath and just take them off when I get where I'm going!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
tjhfwtx

I bought a pair of Fieldsheer Mercury 2.0 pants from Revzilla. I like them. They have good protection built in, have permanent waterproofing liner, and a removable thermal liner. I have not worn them above 95@, but have had them down to the 30's. Take a look.
tjhfwtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Tj, try them sometimes in the upper temps. My legs get sweaty in those upper temps for sure, but with just bluejeans on they seem to get hotter. Shorts on underneath lightweight overpants seems to be the way to go. They breathe, but they also seem to keep all of the heat from the engine off of you. I've grown so fond of mine I don't think I've ridden without them since last year!

I've kind of found that, in the upper temps (my current record is 113), you are going to be uncomfortable, period. It's stupid hot, no matter what. Keeping your neck cool is a big deal (I use those frog togg rags underneath a riding jacket, wrapped around my neck. Underneath the jacket to keep the wind from drying them out, but they REALLY cool you off), keeping your skin covered is a big deal too. There's a reason folks in the desert wear a lot of clothes. Keeping the sun, and the hot air (which is hotter than your body temperature) off of you is important.

Sheesh, I WISH I still had to deal with hot temps and blaring sun. Pulling off to get some water or getting excited when the sun starts to go down and you get some relief. Psh, now I hurry up and get home before the sun goes down because then it starts to get super cold AND the deer are out moving around... yikes.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
tjhfwtx

Romans: not to hijack or divert this thread, but I wear full gear all the time (ATTGATT). Therefore, I do fully expect to buy a separate pair of summer lighter weight pants, and will certainly look into the neck-cooler you mentioned. The heavier overpants do get pretty hot over jeans. I am just generally not a "shorts" kind of guy, haha. Thanks,
Tom
tjhfwtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

Wow, figured you would be swamped with suggestions by now. I'm using a discontinued RoadGear leather model, similar to these. Mine do not unzip to the hip, would be a little easier if they did. They have synthetic side and crotch panels, breath very well, are cooler in the summer than I thought they would be. Look good enough to leave on with shorts underneath when the temps dictate.
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
C00lCountry

Thanks you guys!

Happy Thanksgiving as well!

Do the over pants have a thermal liner?
Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

Mine do not, but I know there are models that do. I was looking at some of those until I got these on a discontinued sale. Too cheap to pass up!
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
C00lCountry

Cheap is good!
Long as it is worth something when get it.
I know the pair I have now does. It makes a difference in the Cooler days.
I like the ones Roman showed.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
Cheesefood

A motorcycle clothing and gear shop just opened up. It's a chain...name slips my mind right now...but sh!ts expensive. I got some gloves for $40 (marked on sale from $80) and they're nice, but ouch. They have a good price on boots and a couple pairs that I liked for <$80 and then some nice riding pants with built in knees and other point protection but like $100+. I mean, I like it and ill end up getting some stuff over time, but protection ain't cheap. Then again, neither is new skin.
Cheesefood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement