Brights ON, Brights OFF? - Page 12 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 11-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #111
wallacem

Again, I always use brights in the daytime only. It is NOT annoying, but helps to be seen. At night I use dims and brights as I would in a car. I do see the importance of multiple lights on the front in day and night. Two or more is always better for being seen. the same goes for the rear. One simple taillight is not as good as two or more. Safe biking to you and yours. Wallacem in Georgia
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #112
R-man
Top Contributor

Just a funny recollection about two lights vs. one...... When I was a young guy I was coming home about midnight from a neighboring town on a country road. I saw a car way up ahead of me and suddenly it appeared to getting very close fast !! I jammed on my brakes, and suddenly it was far away again - and kept going back & forth like that. I finally got close enough to realize it was two motorcycles riding side by side and moving close together and then further apart. It really caused a weird effect on my depth perception.
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
R-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #113
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacem View Post
Again, I always use brights in the daytime only. It is NOT annoying , but helps to be seen.
So you've stopped all the cars you've met and taken a poll?
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #114
wallacem

Yes, and every single one of them confirmed that they were delighted that I took the time to do the poll, and they also wished they had the time and money to ride a motorcycle too. They also wished me a very merry Christmas!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #115
whiting57
Lifetime Premium

Less anyone think that riding with brights on, flashing modulators and fancy tail lights are going to save your butt ... here is a reality check ... nothing is as good as dilligent, defensive riding.

2009 Classic LT Bagger... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer.

2010 Custom ... Mutazu Luggage, Pirelli 200 Rear, Saddleman Solo Seat, Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Batwing Fairing, Cobra FI2000 Power Pro, freedom performance exhaust
whiting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #116
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
Less anyone think that riding with brights on, flashing modulators and fancy tail lights are going to save your butt ... here is a reality check ... nothing is as good as dilligent, defensive riding.

You are EXACTLY right. My sister in law and her husband are both emergency service workers (she's a Paramedic, he's a police officer). They have BOTH been involved in accidents on the side of the road (vehicles hit by unwary drivers) and BOTH have stories about having to dodge cars.

Bright lights and such might help, but you have GOT to take responsibility for your bike. That is YOUR machine. Anything and everything that happens you are completely responsible for. It's right of weight, not right of way. You can be right and dead, or safe and inconvenienced. It doesn't matter if the light is green, the lane is yours, or the cage has a stop sign. You need to be in control of YOUR bike, and be ready to avoid situations. I firmly believe that most accidents could have been avoided with EITHER driver doing something differently. Not all, but most, and that something different is being more defensive.

Whiting aren't you a trucker? I'm sure you've experienced more than once people not seeing you in that big ol' thing. Some people just aren't paying attention, they just will NOT see you. A while back I was behind a girl in a trans am, we were coming up on a spot where the two lane road split into 'three' lanes and the right lane on our side became a turn lane. As I was coming over the hill and up behind her she was moving into the turn lane. Well, then I noticed she wasn't slowing down. Sure enough, BANG, she nailed a concrete median equipped with electrical junction box, telephone pole and stop signs and flipped end over end into the ditch in front of it. Thankfully, despite a horrific accident and absolute damage to her car (only one wheel was still attached and the engine was in the oncoming lane), she didn't have a scratch on her. Come to find out, she though the road had just split and she was moving over into the right lane. If a driver doesn't see a concrete median and the fact that there is no more road left in front of them (she never attempted to brake, she said she didn't know it was there until she hit it) then they won't see you no matter what they do!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #117
Bill Braske
Top Contributor

Quote:

Probably, louder pipes would have prevented this debacle. Loud pipes save lives, you know.

And seeing that this looks like a night time accident, the headlight modulator would have been disabled. Another case of The Man interfering with our liberties.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #118
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Best. Come Back. Ever.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #119
screwedandtattooed

I actually have a recent experience to share pertaining to just this topic. I was riding home Saturday at about five in the afternoon as I take the on ramp to 630 a car gets in front of me driving 10-15 miles an hour slower than me so I get in the far right lane to get by as I get next to him he swerves into my lane so I slam on my brakes almost locking the rear brake as my bike begins to fishtail I think oh crap I'm dead but I slow down release the clutch and come out of it unharmed the cause ... A cell phone that was more important to answer than paying attention to the road and not kill someone. So things are over right? Wrong not two minutes down the road another cell phone user almost ends my ride prematurely let me tell ya I was shaking when I got home. Luckily my wife was in the car behind and knows to slow down if she sees trouble. Thank The Lord I made it outta that. So in retrospect my brights did not make one bit of difference as no one seemed to se me Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #120
kingnba6
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwedandtattooed View Post
I actually have a recent experience to share pertaining to just this topic. I was riding home Saturday at about five in the afternoon as I take the on ramp to 630 a car gets in front of me driving 10-15 miles an hour slower than me so I get in the far right lane to get by as I get next to him he swerves into my lane so I slam on my brakes almost locking the rear brake as my bike begins to fishtail I think oh crap I'm dead but I slow down release the clutch and come out of it unharmed the cause ... A cell phone that was more important to answer than paying attention to the road and not kill someone. So things are over right? Wrong not two minutes down the road another cell phone user almost ends my ride prematurely let me tell ya I was shaking when I got home. Luckily my wife was in the car behind and knows to slow down if she sees trouble. Thank The Lord I made it outta that. So in retrospect my brights did not make one bit of difference as no one seemed to se me Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
thats a bad story man. glad you came out of it safe! damn drivers and their "important" phone calls.
kingnba6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement