17 tooth front sprocket questions - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 500

Old 11-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Gary W.
Top Contributor

Garage
Default 17 tooth front sprocket questions

I'm considering the 17t sprocket change and have read most of the threads on this. Seems the main drawback is more chain noise. Has anyone ever researched to see if there is an OEM 17-tooth Kawi sprocket with the rubber noise dampers that would work? There are several different aftermarket ones available on ebay if you search "kawasaki vulcan 17 sprocket". Does anyone know if there are differences in any of these that might possibly make one quieter than the others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
wallacem

I have only found one brand, and it is not Kawasaki, does not have the rubber mated to it, and I think that is what causes the extra noise. I am like you , wish Kawasaki would make one. I have a 17 on my 2009 model, and I don't notice the extra noise, and honestly, have questioned the benefit. these are high RPM engines anyway, and love to run in the 7K range. Reducing the RPM's by about 400-500 really does not change much, just makes us feel better more than anything else.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
MnV500

I haven't found any with the rubber damper either. I was aware of the noise when I first changed to the 17T sprocket, but now I'm either used to the noise or it's quieted down a bit and maybe both. Either way I like the reduced RPM! No regrets!
Old 11-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
kfolse107

Garage

I have no regrets either. I like the lower rpms at 70mph. I dont think the slight noise difference is noticable to anyone else around me. I wear earplugs anyway to stop the wind noise. Changing the sprocket is a quick, cheap fix and nothing permanent. If you dont like it, you can always change it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

2009 Vulcan 500 LTD
Scootworks Risers
Slipstreamer Enterprise windshield
Protac driver backrest
Rumble Road speaker system
River Road saddlebags
Priority Plus tail light module
Kuryakyn chrome accessory plug
Kuryakyn ISO grips (6235)with Throttle Boss
JTF512 17tooth sprocket
"Manuel/Vicente" custom engine guard