Matched tires - How important? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
whiting57
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
I THINK that's a non issue for the Classic 900's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for some reason you can't put radials over a tube right?
Im not sure, but Im sure some have tried ......

2009 Classic LT Bagger... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer.

2010 Custom ... Mutazu Luggage, Pirelli 200 Rear, Saddleman Solo Seat, Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Batwing Fairing, Cobra FI2000 Power Pro, freedom performance exhaust
whiting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I THINK that's a non issue for the Classic 900's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but for some reason you can't put radials over a tube right?

Well, it's what I run, didn't say I liked it! I definitely won't do another D404 rear. My ME880 has half the miles the D404 did and is much, much less worn. That D404 was bare in the middle with just around 7,500 miles. But the front is still good and I don't see any reason to change it until it's worn. A guy I know sold his 900 and had an extra set of tires that I got from him cheap (brand new). So there is a set of Michelins in my laundy room, the front will go on the bike before the winter is over.

The bike handled fine with the D404 (though I think it improved some in hard cornering when I swapped the rear), but the other tires seem to last longer. They are certainly worth the extra price when you figure the cost of mounting the tires (even if you don't figure the cost you still come out ahead with the other tires). Though some say they get the same mileage out of all of them, kinda weird isn't it?

You know, I have yet to buy a tire. The tires were fairly worn when I bought the bike and the dealer threw in a set for free, then I was ABOUT to buy a rear tire before I went on my honeymoon with the bike, and I had a friend ride it to the wedding for me. Well, he noticed the back tire was worn and knew I was about to buy a new tire, and figured I should save my money for the honeymoon so he went and had a new rear tire put on the bike, along with new brake pads and a full 'pre trip' inspection from a dealer with a service department we both really like. Then, I worked out this trade a while back for some stuff (referenced above) and got this set of Michelins thrown in for free...

So I guess I shouldn't complain too much about 'em eh? BTW, I have close to 20k on that Dunlop front. It's ready to go, but not in DIRE need. Next warm day I'll probably take the bike down and get the front tire swapped out
Hahaha! Romans, I think it's EXCELLENT to have blessings like that. I couldn't agree more. GOD BLESS and ride safe.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #13
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting57 View Post
Im not sure, but Im sure some have tried ......
I remember reading it somewhere, one of those 'You will absolutely die a horrible death if you do' things, you know how that goes. (Void of any explanation as to why).

A quick google search though reveals that there are differences that can cause issues but both Bridgestone and Dunlop (which is as far as I felt like looking) sell RADIAL tubes to go inside their radial tires. So, I guess in fact it would work!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:26 AM   #14
bass567

Quote:
Same here with no issues ... the big issue is not to put radial tires mismatched with bias ply tires ....that is a no-no

great idea about scuffing em in first b4 any hard cornering, its important to scrub the glaze off them.
Whiting, if that's a no-no, then I probably screwed up... I just ordered an Excedra MAX for the rear for my 900 Custom. Those are in the stock size (180/70-15). They are bias ply.

The stocker 21" Dunlops in the front are radials, I assume...

Well, is the handling of the two types really that different?

It seems that the co-existence of two different tire makes is generally a non-issue based on most responses we can read here (although I totally hear what Comanche has been saying in his first contribution to this thread).

Does anyone have good or bad experiences with the bias ply vs radial tires mounted at the same time?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:35 AM   #15
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass567 View Post
Whiting, if that's a no-no, then I probably screwed up... I just ordered an Excedra MAX for the rear for my 900 Custom. Those are in the stock size (180/70-15). They are bias ply.

The stocker 21" Dunlops in the front are radials, I assume...

Well, is the handling of the two types really that different?

It seems that the co-existence of two different tire makes is generally a non-issue based on most responses we can read here (although I totally hear what Comanche has been saying in his first contribution to this thread).

Does anyone have good or bad experiences with the bias ply vs radial tires mounted at the same time?

Your stock rear tire is the same as a classic, a Dunlop D404, which is bias ply. So one would assume that the front is also bias ply (And probably a D404 as well!) The reason they don't mix is because the compounds are so different, that the forces exerted on the front and rear of the bike will be drastically different. It would feel like the two tires were fighting against each other, and the handling would be awful and probably very dangerous.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #16
bass567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Your stock rear tire is the same as a classic, a Dunlop D404, which is bias ply. So one would assume that the front is also bias ply (And probably a D404 as well!) The reason they don't mix is because the compounds are so different, that the forces exerted on the front and rear of the bike will be drastically different. It would feel like the two tires were fighting against each other, and the handling would be awful and probably very dangerous.
Oh, then I should be good.

I got confused as I saw you can get Exedra max in either formulation. Look at the Exedra MAX's website at Bridgestone:

http://www.bridgestone.com/products/...xedra/max.html

As you can see in the table there, most of the radials are labeled with an asterisk "for imports". Hard to say from which view -- Bridgestone is a Japanese company... So any Harley is nothing but an import... And our Kawi's are domestic...
Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #17
whiting57
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Bridgestone is a Japanese company... So any Harley is nothing but an import... And our Kawi's are domestic...
this gave me a good chuckle ......

2009 Classic LT Bagger... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer.

2010 Custom ... Mutazu Luggage, Pirelli 200 Rear, Saddleman Solo Seat, Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Batwing Fairing, Cobra FI2000 Power Pro, freedom performance exhaust
whiting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #18
bass567

Quote:
this gave me a good chuckle ......
I'm not kidding you. Check out the link I posted above.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #19
Scott_F

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass567 View Post
I'm not kidding you. Check out the link I posted above.
Best practice would be to buy another Dunlop 404 and ride it. By the time it's worn out it will be time to replace both tires. The Dunlop has reasonable handling, better than some, and is good in wet weather. Either that, or replace both tires with another brand.

I put Metzelers on my scooter before I put them on my Vulcan. They rode well, better than the OEM Bridgestones, and lasted longer. I then put them on the Vulcan, replacing six year old, low-mileage OEM Dunlops and noticed an immediate and significant improvement in handling. I put new Michelins on my V-Star, and noticed the same immediate improvement. I wondered how much of that was simply the fact that they were new tires, but I have a second rear on my scooter with the initial front Metzeler, and don't notice any difference. FWIW

Regards
Scott Fraser
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #20
bass567

Given the substantial differences in performance of different brands and models of tires -- is there a decent source of bike tire tests, either a magazine or a website that you can recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement