Help me split a case - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1500

Old 11-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
sfair
Top Contributor

What year is it?
Oversize bearings are NOT available. Replacing the crankshaft and standard bearings are the only option. If the mains are out of spec, then crankcase halves must be replaced.
One has to be carefull here as costs could get out of sight in a hurry. Do not spend dime one until the engine has been totally inspected against Kawasaki specifications with the cost of parts, and more important, if they are available, are added up.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
What year is it?
Oversize bearings are NOT available. Replacing the crankshaft and standard bearings are the only option. If the mains are out of spec, then crankcase halves must be replaced.
One has to be carefull here as costs could get out of sight in a hurry. Do not spend dime one until the engine has been totally inspected against Kawasaki specifications with the cost of parts, and more important, if they are available, are added up.
I like the estimate approach you just gave SFair. I usually just dig in and buy buy buy parts to rebuild my own bikes but working and staying busy not only keeps me out of trouble but is also therapeutic for me. That's also probably why my "sight" is so bad nowadays.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #13
sfair
Top Contributor

What one wants to avoid is spending hard earned money on rings, pistons, etc., put it back together only to find out it has a main bearing knock. Not much fun and you lose interest in a hurry!
Also, if it is a four speed, there are some transmission issues that should be looked at while it is apart.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
meatness

Because oversized bearings are not available this rebuild project is a loss. There is no point in buying a crank that probably cost as much as a used engine.

So my friend is in the market for a used engine for it. Any pointers on which engines will work and from which bikes?

Thank you very much sfair for pointing me in the right direction. I suspect you have saved me a lot of time and my friend a fistful of monies.

Thanks again.
meatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatness View Post
Because oversized bearings are not available this rebuild project is a loss. There is no point in buying a crank that probably cost as much as a used engine.

So my friend is in the market for a used engine for it. Any pointers on which engines will work and from which bikes?

Thank you very much sfair for pointing me in the right direction. I suspect you have saved me a lot of time and my friend a fistful of monies.

Thanks again.
Just keep scouring the internet if you don't have any large local area bike salvage yards. Wish you success and let us know what happens. Have a Happy Thanksgiving and the same goes to all the rest of you.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #16
Busboy

Meatness, here's a thought! Have u considered getting the journal built up at an engine shop?
Vulcan VN1600 Classic '06
Fitted: tachometer, genuine windshield, K Drive hard bags, upgraded Meanstreak clutch spring with Judges washers, Cobra Speedster Longshots, Dobeck TFI controller, Chucksters air filter plate, Mustang seats with drivers backrest.

Up coming items: volt meter, oil and temp gauges.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
Murphy

your profile doesn't say where you are, but there is a guy just north of toronto that has engines...including a meanstreak
Old 11-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #18
meatness

I am in the Seattle area so that probably wouldn't help me much... Thanks for the heads up though Murphy, much appreciated.

Building up the journal is interesting, is this common practice with bike cranks?

I called around to some of the local bike yards but no luck. Seems like it could be a while, my poor friend is very down about the whole thing. I keep telling him he just needs to be patient.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #19
meatness

Interesting that this isn't in the post but you are correct.

The bike is a '96 1500
Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #20
Busboy

Meatness. Have a look on YouTube abt building up journals. I remember having this done to some cranks on our fleet of heavy vehicles back in the mid 80's.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Vulcan VN1600 Classic '06
Fitted: tachometer, genuine windshield, K Drive hard bags, upgraded Meanstreak clutch spring with Judges washers, Cobra Speedster Longshots, Dobeck TFI controller, Chucksters air filter plate, Mustang seats with drivers backrest.

Up coming items: volt meter, oil and temp gauges.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement