FI light stays on - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Engine Work

Old 10-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Ezrider

Garage
Unhappy FI light stays on

I did the DIY air intake shown on an earlier forum. Vulcan 900 with cobra short pipes, and Fi2000 controller. I made a plate to cover the air-intake and put a Specter air filter over it. In the process, I may have damaged the sensor. Does that have anything to do with the FI light? I marbled the top hose. I put a smaller filter on the breather hose, but the connector is L shaped. (Hardware store didn't have a straight one.) I used some blue Permex gasket stuff between the air-intake (throttle body?) and the plate and a rubber seal around the filter - so no air should be coming in except through the filter. I reset the Fi2000 to 4-2-2. I didn't notice the light last night after I finished but today, it stays on. I tried turning up the idle and filling the gas tank and it still stays on.

It runs good and sounds good. It seems to be smoother acceleration and deceleration and even less popping. But what about the red FI light?
Ezrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #2
sfair
Top Contributor

You will have to retrieve the error code. The best way to do that is obtain a service manual and it will explain how to read the code and what they mean.
A service manual is good to have, anyways.

Post back with any questions.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
Ezrider

Garage

It was the air temperature sensor. I broke it when put the hole too close to the throttlebody. It took a long time for the new air temp sensor to come in, but when I replaced it, that was it. In retrospect, I would measure the placement for the sensor and drill those holes last, carefully measuring enough room from the throttlebody.

Now that it's done, it works really well.
Ezrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezrider View Post
It was the air temperature sensor. I broke it when put the hole too close to the throttlebody. It took a long time for the new air temp sensor to come in, but when I replaced it, that was it. In retrospect, I would measure the placement for the sensor and drill those holes last, carefully measuring enough room from the throttlebody.

Now that it's done, it works really well.
Could be much worse. I was on another forum where a guy with a sportbike says his FI light was on and it wouldn't start, after installing some LED lights. They went through unplugging the lights, charging the battery, disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, etc. Well, as it turns out, he had mounted the 'brain' for this LED light system on top of the ECU not knowing what it was. Stuck two screws right through the ECU. If I recall right, it was $700 to replace!

It's all a good reminder to get a service manual and take a glance at the diagrams for the areas you are working in before you start working. Those Kawasaki engineers are pretty clever and good at hiding wires and sensors and little things like that, and it'd be much better to find them in your book, than at the end of your drill!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement