Has anyone polished the stock front wheel on their VN900? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Wheels and Tires

Old 09-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Saw Dog

Default Has anyone polished the stock front wheel on their VN900?

I purchased the wider rear wheel and pulley from Mean cycles and the new rear wheel and pulley is polished. It looks awesome and so now the front stock wheel looks a little dull with the factory painted (satin) finish. I would like to strip the front wheel and polish it to match the new rear wheel. Anyone done this or know of someone who has? Comments? Warnings? Advice?

Thanks in advance...

I have a VN900 Custom

Last edited by Saw Dog; 09-14-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: VN900 Custom
Saw Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #2
Irishman

Not sure about polishing, but if you do, would measure you axle diameter and hub width for me?
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
bulldozer
Top Contributor

Yes sir mine are done.... Both front and back, on a V2K > upside is they look good, less $ than chrome.. Downside is you gotta keep polishin them.. I do mine once a month or so with mothers and apply a heavy coat of wax.... I have been lookin at powder coating them chrome color ( 60.00 ) but i did a test piece the other day and i dont like it.. So you can clear coat em ( Eastwoods is the best ) or just work at it all the time.. bd

2008 V2K
Gone to the Darkside
Hard Krome 2-1
Power Commander
Custom Paint
Wheels, Forks,Rotors,Calipers all polished

2008 V900 Customized By ROAR
2-1 Exhaust
Baron Big Air
Scootworks Pulleys
bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
68novabbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer View Post
Yes sir mine are done.... Both front and back, on a V2K > upside is they look good, less $ than chrome.. Downside is you gotta keep polishin them.. I do mine once a month or so with mothers and apply a heavy coat of wax.... I have been lookin at powder coating them chrome color ( 60.00 ) but i did a test piece the other day and i dont like it.. So you can clear coat em ( Eastwoods is the best ) or just work at it all the time.. bd
Did you polish them yourself? If not, just curious as to what it would even cost to have one polished? I would love to have my 900C front rim done and then clear coated.
K&N Air Filter
Fully Debaffled
Cobra FI2000R
Smoked Lenses
Polished Forks
Chrome Wheels & Pulley
Pirelli Night Dragon 200 Rear Tire.
68novabbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
coolmesser

why not just chrome them?
coolmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:09 AM   #6
4DGS

^ cost is usually high for chrome.

What style wheel are they? I've done a tonne of polishing from raw (Build 3 piece wheels for cars) and I could give you a rough idea if I knew which style they were.

But in all honesty, polished wheels suck. They look great but the up keep will give you headaches. I have 5" polished lips on my car right now and they need to be polished pretty much once a week to keep their shine.
4DGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
68novabbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DGS View Post
^ cost is usually high for chrome.

What style wheel are they? I've done a tonne of polishing from raw (Build 3 piece wheels for cars) and I could give you a rough idea if I knew which style they were.

But in all honesty, polished wheels suck. They look great but the up keep will give you headaches. I have 5" polished lips on my car right now and they need to be polished pretty much once a week to keep their shine.
Here is a pic of the wheel to give you an idea. I might just try to polish it myself. I have all winter. lol As for polished wheels... I know, I have billet 1 piece aluminum wheels on my racecar, but I want to clear coat the ones for the bike when I'm done.
K&N Air Filter
Fully Debaffled
Cobra FI2000R
Smoked Lenses
Polished Forks
Chrome Wheels & Pulley
Pirelli Night Dragon 200 Rear Tire.
68novabbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
Dent6

I polished my lower forks on my vn 2000 . Used wet sandpaper 320 to remove the blotchy clear coat then moved to 800 grit then to 2000 grit then mothers aluminum polish . Use up and down strokes. Turned out almost like chrome.
1977 Honda 400 Four
Vespa LX Scooter 150cc
Genuine Buddy Scooter 125cc
And finally the little beast and my favorite
Genuine Buddy Scooter 50cc
Dent6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Madkash

You got any pic of your 900 custom after the fat tire kit was installed?

In interested in putting one on mine!
Madkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
uplandpointer

Do you think using a DA sander and going through the different grits would work or am I better off by hand?
uplandpointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement