Fuel problem? - Page 4 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 800

Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #31
knightrider

I am going to take the advice on rebuilding the carb and buying a new petcock. I cant seem to find a petcock that looks like its the same as mine, I was trying to stay away from OEM, does anyone have advice where to get one?
knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #32
knightrider

mine has the larger and smaller hoses, most of the aftermarket ones either wont mate to the oval shaped mating surface or only have 1 hose inlet
Old 11-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #33
Phil in Maine

Garage

Why don't you want the OEM one?

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #34
knightrider

someone had mentioned a lot of guys using an aftermarket. Getting an OEM is 7 days out i was just looking at all options
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #35
Phil in Maine

Garage

I would just get the OEM one. They are not expensive, they fit, and they work.

That reminds me that I need to sell my old one. It still worked when I replaced it when I got the new tank.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #36
knightrider

the guys on here say the rebuild kit doesnt work with much success, OEM is fine other than the wait, etc.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #37
knightrider

another thing, i was kinda trying to see if any aftermarket has a complete "off" option, for storage and all
Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #38
knightrider

Well the time has come for good news. After getting a petcock (thanks phil in maine) and taking the carb off twice to clean it, Much to my shame I took it to a buddies shop. He checked it out on his down time, turns out my accelerator pump and air cut off valve were both bad. 50 bucks in parts, 30 pack of beer which I'm sure I'll help drink. I went ahead and stuck a gas filter below the petcock with a 90 degree angle, and the bike runs perfect again! Just my luck too, the next few days are supposed to be over 60. Ks weather is crazy, last year this time it was in the 50 range if that. So thats my story, and my inspiration to anyone else whose having this problem. Hope it helps someone, and thanks to all of you for guiding me in the right directions.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #39
Phil in Maine

Garage

I actually lost the oring in the air cut off valve when I was cleaning and rebuilding the carb. How annoying, but the thing is tiny. I ended up ordering one. At least I learned what its function is.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #40
knightrider

Mine were shot apparently, the bike had sat for almost a year before I bought it from my buddies dealership. My biker friend explained that with the new gas formula, that gas starts to lacquer after about a month, and sitting that long ate those two pieces up. Runs like a champ now. I got a new brake line (thanks tim) and on the road again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement