Homemade Lowers - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #21
rick50

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaVulcan View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for homemade lowers on a 900 Custom. We have a different setup on our forks (no shock covers), so I was just wondering if there's a setup for us. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
you can have a look at what i did here................

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=22976
rick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #22
KawaVulcan

Default Homemade Lowers

Here's what I came up with for a set of homemade lowers for my Vulcan 900 Custom:

I bought everything locally; 1/4" plexiglass from Lowes and the clamps from Northern Tool. They're not "p-clamps" because I couldn't find any (nobody around here even knows what a p-clamp is). These are "Apache T-Bolt Clamps". They're stainless steel and I bought stainless acorn nuts to put on the front side. Total cost in materials: $35.

They work well in that there is less air blowing around between me and the windshield, there's less buffeting of air at head level and I believe my legs will benefit from them too. If you need to know any dimensions, just let me know. Thanks!
Saddlemen Drifter Slant Saddlebags
Cobra Speedster Shorts
Cobra Fi2000
Cobra Tach
KawaVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #23
steve900c

[QUOTE=KawaVulcan;269378]Here's what I came up with for a set of homemade lowers for my Vulcan 900 Custom:

Great idea to clamp the lowers to the forks like this... first thing I thought (after looking at my own 900C) was that it looks like the lowers are going to hit the turnsignals when the forks compress. What did you do for clearance in this regard? Under hard braking, do the top edges of the lowers go past/in front of the turn signals?
Clear turn signal lenses and Kury license plate frame w/extra brake light
Memphis Shades Alley Cat quick release fairing <or> MS batwing w/9" shield...
Mustang seat w/driver backrest
Mutazu MU Hard Bags
HR2 bar risers
Kury "Premium Mini" floorboards
steve900c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #24
KawaVulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve900c View Post
Great idea to clamp the lowers to the forks like this... first thing I thought (after looking at my own 900C) was that it looks like the lowers are going to hit the turnsignals when the forks compress. What did you do for clearance in this regard? Under hard braking, do the top edges of the lowers go past/in front of the turn signals?
Thanks Steve! Under extreme braking, the lowers I made do lightly graze the front of the turn signal lenses near the top of the lens, but there's enough flex in the lowers and signals to do little or any harm. If the lowers begin to adversely affect my lenses, I will cut a notch the top of the lowers to provide additional clearance. I considered installing them like rick50's, but I wanted to try this first.
Cobra Speedster Shorts
Cobra Fi2000
Cobra Tach
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #25
Infinite_Day

Garage

Quote:
Thanks Steve! Under extreme braking, the lowers I made do lightly graze the front of the turn signal lenses near the top of the lens, but there's enough flex in the lowers and signals to do little or any harm. If the lowers begin to adversely affect my lenses, I will cut a notch the top of the lowers to provide additional clearance. I considered installing them like rick50's, but I wanted to try this first.
Did you put anything between the clamps and the fork lowers to keep them from slipping and/or scuffing?
Old 11-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #26
marcwhite

Default Homemade Lowers

These work well but I'm sure take a little more work to pretty up. The length and the fact they fill in above the turn signal keeps everything very calm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0415[1].jpg
Views:	232
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	14265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0416[1].jpg
Views:	210
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	14266  
marcwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #27
KawaVulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Day View Post
Did you put anything between the clamps and the fork lowers to keep them from slipping and/or scuffing?
Nope. They will definitely not slip; they may scuff the coating on the forks a little, but I'm not really worried about that. If it was a $20K bike with chrome forks, I would have been a bit more concerned about the finish, lol!
Cobra Speedster Shorts
Cobra Fi2000
Cobra Tach
Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #28
KawaVulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve900c View Post
Update on the lenses rubbing: I discovered today that only one lens was rubbing on hard braking. That baffled me because the lowers we perfectly even, so I put a straight edge across the forks and discovered that one of the turn signals was crooked. I worked on that lens until it was even with the other side; this was accomplished by adding a washer in front of the brace as a spacer. Now my both my lowers pass in front of the lenses.
Cobra Speedster Shorts
Cobra Fi2000
Cobra Tach

Last edited by KawaVulcan; 11-19-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #29
Kennyg

Smile Nice and Cheap, just the Way I like it

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have these on the bike for spring riding.

We have to get older. We don't have to grow up!
Kennyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #30
Busboy

Default Re: Homemade Lowers

These homemade lowers look great. My only problem is that I cannot source anywhere here on this big Island the 2 15/16-3" "P" clamps unless I go to some SS hose clamps.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Vulcan VN1600 Classic '06
Fitted: tachometer, genuine windshield, K Drive hard bags, upgraded Meanstreak clutch spring with Judges washers, Cobra Speedster Longshots, Dobeck TFI controller, Chucksters air filter plate, Mustang seats with drivers backrest.

Up coming items: volt meter, oil and temp gauges.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement