Left side air box options help - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Engine Work

Old 11-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
classiccruiser

Default Left side air box options help

I'm upgrading to a Big Baron air filter to get away from the dog bowl air filter. But there is a dog bowl on both sides of my vulcan classic. Has anyone else changed the air box on the left or can it not be changed? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
classiccruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Busboy

Classiccruiser, try this link as its what some of us are or have done when changing the air cleaner setup.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/HC-TFI_install.htm
Vulcan VN1600 Classic '06
Fitted: tachometer, genuine windshield, K Drive hard bags, upgraded Meanstreak clutch spring with Judges washers, Cobra Speedster Longshots, Dobeck TFI controller, Chucksters air filter plate, Mustang seats with drivers backrest.

Up coming items: volt meter, oil and temp gauges.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
classiccruiser

Thanks bro. I will read it soon. I did read the title though and it said that was for FI models. I have carbs does that matter?

Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Steammaker
BOTM Winner, April 2014

I think your stock set up is the same as the one I had on my Meany. You can take the left side off if your installing the Barons. The air supply will be the right side(Barons) now. The stock set up pulls air from the left thru the air tunnel & the right is for show. With the Barons you've reversed that. Getting the air tunnel out from between the jugs is a pain in the arse. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
classiccruiser

Thank you for the help and support guys!! If ya'll ever pass through eastern NC, the first round is on me

Old 11-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
PatC
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccruiser View Post
I'm upgrading to a Big Baron air filter to get away from the dog bowl air filter. But there is a dog bowl on both sides of my vulcan classic. Has anyone else changed the air box on the left or can it not be changed? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

I removed it altogether when I put my BAK on. It looks cleaner, but I was thinking I'd get one of those steer skull hitch covers with the red LED lights for eyes and put it where the old dog bowl was.

I had to cut the plastic air tube out from between the cylinders. It made doing the cam chain extender job a whole lot easier, too.
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
PatC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
classiccruiser

That looks awesome PatC. Thanks for the pics and info. We have the same model and color bike, or at least we did. My tins are currently at the paint shop. I'm painting them a flat black. I really enjoy my vulcan so I don't want a new bike so I'm just going to completely change the look. I will post pics when it's done sometime next year lol.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
Busboy

Classiccruiser, as steam maker n PatC have said, the air tube is a b1tch to get out. It took me abt 4 cuts of a dremel to cut it all out. If u can get a cable saw,it will make it a whole lot easier.
I'm almost finished the mods to my bike as I'm unable to ride atm after some surgery, but can't wait to get back on. While the tank is off I'll be doing a coolant change since the radiator cap is tucked under the tank.
I'll post so pics when I get some free time to play on my computer.
Vulcan VN1600 Classic '06
Fitted: tachometer, genuine windshield, K Drive hard bags, upgraded Meanstreak clutch spring with Judges washers, Cobra Speedster Longshots, Dobeck TFI controller, Chucksters air filter plate, Mustang seats with drivers backrest.

Up coming items: volt meter, oil and temp gauges.
Busboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #9
screwedandtattooed

sweet i've actually been wondering if this would be possible my self as i would like to relocate my ignition and overall change the look of the bike with the dog bowls. thanks for the info and thanks for asking classiccruiser.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
classiccruiser

Your welcome but I can't take the credit. All the thanks goes to the guys that chimed in and gave their 2 cents. This forum rocks because of the members!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement