Drive Belt Replacement Question - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
Vulcar

Thanks SWVA for the input. Just saw your post. It snuck in on me while I typing I think. Good point. I think the fender on the 900LT is a little more involved from what I can tell but I have not researched that yet. I have a MC lift so getting it high enough should not be issue in my case. The less I have to remove the better but will keep it in mind though!
Vulcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

I just looked at your pic and you have an LT so you have the bags and such to deal with too. 8 bolts and the plug and its off (other than the seat). I just can't bring my self to buy a MC jack. I use a regular floor jack and a 2x to lift it was and place plenty of wood block under the frame as I lift the bike. Not the smartest or safest way but it get the job done.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
Vulcar

Yep, the bag hardware looks to be a pain to deal with. I got my lift from Harbor freight. I have a smaller one that I use for quick jobs like cleaning the bike, etc. You can get them pretty cheap on sale. Under a 100 bucks. My Girlfriend bought me a full size lift for a Chrismas gift a few years back. Nice for getting the bike eye level. At my age setting down while I work is a good thing. :-)
Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
Vulcar

Well, FridayI took off around noon to see if I could replace that belt. I pulled the covers off the left side to access the front pully. I then examined how the belt ran and like CrazyJ indicated it looks like you have to remove the swingarm. I am going to check the manual but I do not recall seeing that step. "Romans5.8" you said you wiggled it off. Can you explain your process in little more detail please? I cleaned a lot of dirt that I normally could not get to plus found my footboard bracket and pin rusting. Did some painting and lubing. I was afraid to tackle the swingarm and causing issues I could not recover from and miss riding Saturday and Sunday. We rode into Cookeville, TN., spent the night and rode back to Louisville, Ky the next day. 450 mile round trip. Had a great time and traveled some nice roads. Another day to tackle replacing that belt. Oh, I noticed a plastic wedge shape piece in the top of the pulley cover. It looks like th belt has been rubbing on it because it looked worn. I am wondering if I should replace it and what its purpose is?
Thanks and have a great Tuesday the 13th.

2007 VN900 Classic LT (Dragon Theme)
Cobra- Pipes, FI2000, Passenger Floor boards, Engine guard and luggage rack.
Memphis Shade with 9" windshield.
Mustang seat
Chrome covers for neck, radiator, Rear brake Master Cylinder, and regulator.
Kuryakan Grips
RC Components Nitro Chrome wheels w/ Night Dragon Tires.
Çobra Power Flo breather
Old 11-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #15
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcar View Post
Well, FridayI took off around noon to see if I could replace that belt. I pulled the covers off the left side to access the front pully. I then examined how the belt ran and like CrazyJ indicated it looks like you have to remove the swingarm. I am going to check the manual but I do not recall seeing that step. "Romans5.8" you said you wiggled it off. Can you explain your process in little more detail please? I cleaned a lot of dirt that I normally could not get to plus found my footboard bracket and pin rusting. Did some painting and lubing. I was afraid to tackle the swingarm and causing issues I could not recover from and miss riding Saturday and Sunday. We rode into Cookeville, TN., spent the night and rode back to Louisville, Ky the next day. 450 mile round trip. Had a great time and traveled some nice roads. Another day to tackle replacing that belt. Oh, I noticed a plastic wedge shape piece in the top of the pulley cover. It looks like th belt has been rubbing on it because it looked worn. I am wondering if I should replace it and what its purpose is?
It is there to rub the belt and keep the pulley area clean. I had to take mine off and clean it once because I got a rock stuck in it and it rubbed a small groove in my belt. As long as it is making contact with your belt when it is assembled it is ok. I do not know if they wear out or not as I only have close to 6K on it.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #16
crazyj
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcar View Post
I didn't remove the swingarm; I did remove the 2 (IIRC) large bolts that hold it to the frame and slide the belt in sideways by wiggling the swingarm away for a moment. Once the belt is threaded in, replace the bolts, put everything else back together, and you're good to go.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
I didn't remove the swingarm; I did remove the 2 (IIRC) large bolts that hold it to the frame and slide the belt in sideways by wiggling the swingarm away for a moment. Once the belt is threaded in, replace the bolts, put everything else back together, and you're good to go.
Well technically....that's kind of removing the swingarm. You can say that you didn't have to pull the engine; you only had to remove the frame!
One good thing about having the swingarm out is the opportunity to re-grease the bearings. Otherwise, they'll never receive any attention.

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
pacomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
Vulcar

Thanks for the replys. I looked up removing the swing arm in the manual and it said remove the tie rod bolt and the upper and lower shock bolt also? I like the idea of removing it like pacomutt indicated so I think I will so I can lube it up with fresh grease. Is it hard to get back together after removing it? Any tips to make it go smoothly?

Mustang seat
Kuryakan Grips
Çobra Power Flo breather
Old 11-18-2012, 11:38 AM   #19
RoyVN900

Garage

Hi Vulcar, Wondering what the outcome was on your belt replacement? I swapped mine and began thinking about the wear on the front pulley. I wonder if they have a finite lifespan? I replaced that lock washer under the bolt on the front pulley as recommended and torqued it to spec and after 4000 miles the belt began making some noise. I removed the front covers and found the pulley had loosened a bit so I bent back the washer and removed the pulley it felt sloppy on the shaft so I replaced it with a Scootworks overdrive pulley that also slid on the shaft real easy. Retorqued and locked the washer on again and 2000 miles later again had to retighten the bolt. I'm wondering if I should of used some spline lock on the shaft.
Lindby Multi bar with Kury Silver Bullets
Kawi Light Bar w/55watt bulbs
Kury PowerPoint
Kury Brake Light Kit
ISO-Grips W/Throttle Boss
VistaCruise Throttle lock
LeatherLyke Hard Bags
Pirelli MT66 W/Dynabeads
RoyVN900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
Vulcar

Hello RoyVN900. I have not changed the belt yet because of the nice weekend weather we have been having here in the Bluegrass. I think when I do, I will take advantage of removing the swing arm and doing work on it also. I have almost 70K miles and trying to insure I check things out before I have issues. It will be a winter project for sure when I know I can have it down for a few weeks or more if I need the time. As far as the the front pulley, not sure it would go bad from belt wear alone. If a rock or something got into it then I could see it being damaged. I have not investigated removing the pulley or if it has a spline. How did you know it was loose? Did you have to use the tool they have or did you use another method to hold the pulley while you loosened the nut? One last question. Did you like the scootworks Pulley?

Mustang seat
Kuryakan Grips
Çobra Power Flo breather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement