Loud ticking after it fell... - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 800

Old 11-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #21
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
If you run it now, is the oil light still on? If so, loosen the oil filter enough so that it can be turned by hand. Start the engine and loosen the filter enough for some oil (and any trapped air) to escape. Tighten the filter and see if the light goes out and stays out. The 800s seem susceptible to losing their ability to re-prime their oil systems after a lay down, and even after an oil and filter change. If you rode it for awhile with the oil light on you've probably damaged the engine pretty good. A tow home is usually much cheaper than riding it back home with a condition like this.
PacoMutt Strikes Again! Right on dude! Excellent armchair diagnosis! Hope Ya'll have a good weekend!
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #22
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
PacoMutt Strikes Again! Right on dude! Excellent armchair diagnosis! Hope Ya'll have a good weekend!
Thanks! (and make sure you reply again for those extra points!)

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
pacomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 AM   #23
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
If you run it now, is the oil light still on? If so, loosen the oil filter enough so that it can be turned by hand. Start the engine and loosen the filter enough for some oil (and any trapped air) to escape. Tighten the filter and see if the light goes out and stays out. The 800s seem susceptible to losing their ability to re-prime their oil systems after a lay down, and even after an oil and filter change. If you rode it for awhile with the oil light on you've probably damaged the engine pretty good. A tow home is usually much cheaper than riding it back home with a condition like this.
I changed the oil twice on mine within this very first month I've had it. This is because after the first change I did some engine additive cleaning and maintenance because the bike had sat for almost six months according to the PO and so I changed the oil again after this to ensure all was clean. Funny thing is that the first time I changed oil and filter this annoying sound didn't happen. So, I drained the oil and let the bike completely drain and rest until nothing came out; not even one drop. However, the second time I put in new oil and new filter this very same annoying sound as described in this thread began. That's why, PacoMutt, I am all over the place in this forum learning as much as I can about the Vulcans and my 800 Classic specifically.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #24
Comanche

Garage

Does anybody ever watch the annoying little media or video ads that pop up on our posts by virtue of the green highlighted keywords contained therein?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #25
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Does anybody ever watch the annoying little media or video ads that pop up on our posts by virtue of the green highlighted keywords contained therein?
Put something like adblock http://adblockplus.org/en/ on your computer to stop that crap.
It also stops almost all those banner ads that come up on u-tube videos.
The guy who owns it asks for a donation, and I happily paid him well for the relief I got from those annoying ads. It works for Mac, btw, which is all I use.

.........Bob Seger

Last edited by pacomutt; 11-18-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #26
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
I changed the oil twice on mine within this very first month I've had it. This is because after the first change I did some engine additive cleaning and maintenance because the bike had sat for almost six months according to the PO and so I changed the oil again after this to ensure all was clean. Funny thing is that the first time I changed oil and filter this annoying sound didn't happen. So, I drained the oil and let the bike completely drain and rest until nothing came out; not even one drop. However, the second time I put in new oil and new filter this very same annoying sound as described in this thread began. That's why, PacoMutt, I am all over the place in this forum learning as much as I can about the Vulcans and my 800 Classic specifically.
When you changed your oil and filter, did you get the problem where the oil wouldn't pump, i.e., the oil pressure light didn't go out right away when you started the bike?
I partially fill the new filter with new oil, (BTW, I do that on everything), but with the 800, I've resorted to only tightening the filter just 'till it seats on its mount. After filling the crankcase with the rest of the oil, I'll start the bike and loosen the filter 'till it "burps", that is 'till oil comes out under pressure, then I can tighten the filter again.
This will immediately turn off the oil pressure light, and the bike is good to go.

.........Bob Seger
Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #27
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
When you changed your oil and filter, did you get the problem where the oil wouldn't pump, i.e., the oil pressure light didn't go out right away when you started the bike?
I partially fill the new filter with new oil, (BTW, I do that on everything), but with the 800, I've resorted to only tightening the filter just 'till it seats on its mount. After filling the crankcase with the rest of the oil, I'll start the bike and loosen the filter 'till it "burps", that is 'till oil comes out under pressure, then I can tighten the filter again.
This will immediately turn off the oil pressure light, and the bike is good to go.
Paco, the only problem remaining from the PO's inherited basket of problems is that I am unable to install the new replacement tank assembly. The PO modified the bike to make it look like a Nightster, installed an HD tank and by doing so; for some bizarre reason he "shaved" off the OEM top and side mounts for the tank and airbox that sits on the spine underneath it. Thus, I can't take advantage of the Oil Light at present. In the near future I will have to weld back some mounts in order to install the new tank assembly but for now I just have to deal with it.

I haven't messed with the bike since I took it out for a shakedown run late last night but before posting I recalled you were covering this topic here and so I posted. The knocking sound (coming from the front of the engine) with respect to loudness and tempo increases during acceleration until it levels off but dissipates on deceleration and is completely nonexistent when idling. I only ran the bike up the block and immediately returned and parked it since I didn't want to go farther nor higher than second gear.

Is this "oil priming" issue related to the Oil Pressure Relief Valve or the Oil Pump & Chain Drive Assembly? Specifically, a dirty/sticking/faulty OPRV or worn OP&CD Assembly? Or is this just a good old fashioned "engineering" flaw? I've always said that engineers should be paid by the overall functionality of their work and not just paid to design or engineer "something." Either that or force them to use the things they engineer until they come up with good functional designs.

Last edited by Comanche; 11-18-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #28
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Quote:

Is this "oil priming" issue related to the Oil Pressure Relief Valve or the Oil Pump & Chain Drive Assembly? Specifically, a dirty/sticking/faulty OPRV or worn OP&CD Assembly? Or is this just a good old fashioned "engineering" flaw? I've always said that engineers should be paid by the overall functionality of their work and not just paid to design or engineer "something." Either that or force them to use the things they engineer until they come up with good functional designs.
The oil priming issue is related to the fact that it's an 800, and not, I believe to any additional sticking or dirty valves and such. Just a design "flaw" or characteristic, if you will. I've seen and heard too many cases where after a lay-down, or even after throughly draining the oil and filter, that these engines just won't prime. I wouldn't operate one without a functioning oil light. At the very least, after an oil and filter change, keep the filter loose until you start the engine. When the air expels itself from the filter and the pressure builds, you can actually feel the filter tighten up on its threads. Tighten up the filter and you should be fine until the next event like a lay down, or an oil change happens. Maybe someone like sfair can shed some more light on this, but I have not seen any comments from him so far. I've seen this twice on my wife's 800, once from a lay down at a stop sign, and once from an oil change. This bike is a very low mileage bike with a clean engine.
My wife has only laid down her bike once, and the engine guard prevented any damage, but she carries an oil filter wrench in a saddle bag just in case.
These bikes are wired so that if you lose oil pressure that both the oil and the temperature lights come on. This is to get your attention that you have NO oil pressure! Too many people have ridden their bikes home, started them the next day a few times hoping the problem had rectified itself, and even made U-Tube videos of their engines running with NO oil pressure and the warning lights on. Makes you wish there was a database so you would know to never buy one of these person's bikes used!

BTW, the older 1500's with the plastic oil gear have had the same fate applied to them after the oil gear fails. Their owners have ridden them several miles home, even while losing power from the engine trying to seize.
You just know that if they got a puncture in their brand new $200 Metzeler tire, they would immediately call for a tow so they didn't damage their expensive tire, but when the oil pressure light comes on, well hell, it's just a few miles home on their several thousand dollar engine that 's being trashed! It boggles the mind!

.........Bob Seger

Last edited by pacomutt; 11-18-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #29
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
The oil priming issue is related to the fact that it's an 800, and not, I believe to any additional sticking or dirty valves and such. Just a design "flaw" or characteristic, if you will. I've seen and heard too many cases where after a lay-down, or even after throughly draining the oil and filter, that these engines just won't prime. I wouldn't operate one without a functioning oil light. At the very least, after an oil and filter change, keep the filter loose until you start the engine. When the air expels itself from the filter and the pressure builds, you can actually feel the filter tighten up on its threads. Tighten up the filter and you should be fine until the next event like a lay down, or an oil change happens. Maybe someone like sfair can shed some more light on this, but I have not seen any comments from him so far. I've seen this twice on my wife's 800, once from a lay down at a stop sign, and once from an oil change. This bike is a very low mileage bike with a clean engine.
My wife has only laid down her bike once, and the engine guard prevented any damage, but she carries an oil filter wrench in a saddle bag just in case.
These bikes are wired so that if you lose oil pressure that both the oil and the temperature lights come on. This is to get your attention that you have NO oil pressure! Too many people have ridden their bikes home, started them the next day a few times hoping the problem had rectified itself, and even made U-Tube videos of their engines running with NO oil pressure and the warning lights on. Makes you wish there was a database so you would know to never buy one of these person's bikes used!

BTW, the older 1500's with the plastic oil gear have had the same fate applied to them after the oil gear fails. Their owners have ridden them several miles home, even while losing power from the engine trying to seize.
You just know that if they got a puncture in their brand new $200 Metzeler tire, they would immediately call for a tow so they didn't damage their expensive tire, but when the oil pressure light comes on, well hell, it's just a few miles home on their several thousand dollar engine that 's being trashed! It boggles the mind!
Roger that on your input, Paco. This beast idled fine for warmup (about two minutes) with no sounds at idling but when I geared up, accelerated and tried to ride it that is when the sound manifested so I immediately returned and parked it to post up on here. I may have to "engineer" a fix for this engineering flaw/defect! Haha!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #30
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Did that and tested. All seems fine like a well oiled sewing machine. Just making sure to read correctly in that the "burp" wasn't a literal sound since that would mean A LOT of air had escaped.
Advertisement