Help me split a case - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1500

Old 11-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
meatness

Default Help me split a case

I was hoping I could get a few sets of eyes on this. I BELIEVE I have every bolt out that holds the case halves together.... I don't.

I can get the case halves apart on one side but there is something holding them together near the shift linkage is what I am thinking but for the life of me I can't find anything. Please take a look and let me know where I am going wrong here. The bottom seam doesn't seem to want to come apart at all.

meatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
sfair
Top Contributor

Second photo, just below the "Made in Japan", you see a round hole...did you remove that bolt?
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
meatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
Second photo, just below the "Made in Japan", you see a round hole...did you remove that bolt?

Excellent work sir.

That did it, and I thank you. I will be making an eye doctors appointment now

Anyone interested in following along with the rebuild? Perhaps for documentation if nothing else? Or is this a dead horse subject?

Maybe for comedies sake at this point....
Old 11-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
@SFair: That was excellent remote doctoring! I once saw an episode of House that had him showing a fellow doctor stationed at the South Pole how to perform surgery via a laptop! Haha!

@meatness: At first from your post's title I was wondering if you were asking someone to split a case of beer or oil! I'm game to watch your ongoing progress so post up anything you got. It's always interesting to see what others do to their bikes. Wish you success and what bike or engine do you have by the way so I know what I'm following here?

Last edited by Comanche; 11-18-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I would LOVE to sit back and watch you work

Seriously though, I dunno if it's just me or what but I always get a kick of out restoration/rebuild/major repair blogs and forums and stuff like this. Never know what you might learn. If you're so inclined as to document your journey through that Japanese twin you'll have at least one reader here.

By the way, is this just a 'refresh' (maybe losing power or running rough) or was there something that failed in this motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
@SFair: That was excellent remote doctoring! I once saw an episode of House that had him showing a fellow doctor stationed at the South Pole perform surgery via a laptop! Haha!
I think Dr.House is an excellent analogy for sfair! LOL. Well, not necessarily Demeanor. (Thank goodness, he'd have a field day with idiots like me trying to waddle through this crap with him patiently telling me what to do!)

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Last edited by Romans5.8; 11-18-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Romans5.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

Will be following this just because am interested in know what is inside the motor without having to take my own apart to do so. Know there will be some differences in my 800, but the basics should be the same. Am approaching 100,000 on mine. Hoping to get a bigger bike early next year, then maybe refsh mine with rings, a valve job and such. Still runs fine, but with that many miles, am sure will be a drastic increase in performance by refreshing, that I didnt release I was loosing over the 7 years I've owned it. Like replaceing brakes and realizing just how they've degraded after the new ones are on.
rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Murphy

I will certainly sign up for this one.
Thanks for being willing to document your journey.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
meatness

Alright then.
A little back story. A friend of mine picked up this bike as part of a deal he made with some guy on craigslist. Of course the only thing wrong with the bike is that it "wasn't shifting properly". After picking it up he brought it directly to my shop and asked if I would take a look at it. We started it up THWAK THWAK THWAK and quickly shut it back down.

I said, well... "seems like you got some work to do on the bottom end", and he smiled back and asked if I was willing to take a look. I agreed, knowing that I have never torn down a v-twin before but probably overly confident of my mechanical abilities I figured I would be able to handle it.

The first thing I was to assess is, SHOULD we try to fix it. Sometimes buying a used motor can be a lot more time/cost effective than tearing into one. On the other hand, when you are done rebuilding a motor you know that it is in order while a used engine can be a bit of an unknown. After doing a little research, even looking around for an used engine, I decided to tear it down to see what I needed besides some bearings and gaskets.

Here is how it sits now, thanks to sfair's willing to be a second pair of eyes I now know that the crank will need to be ground and I need to find out if I can get over-sized bearings for it. The transmission looks fine from first glance, I am starting to believe that the linkage was the issue there.

Enough rambling from me. PICTURES!!!

Old 11-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
meatness

Old 11-18-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I would LOVE to sit back and watch you work

Seriously though, I dunno if it's just me or what but I always get a kick of out restoration/rebuild/major repair blogs and forums and stuff like this. Never know what you might learn. If you're so inclined as to document your journey through that Japanese twin you'll have at least one reader here.

By the way, is this just a 'refresh' (maybe losing power or running rough) or was there something that failed in this motor?

I think Dr.House is an excellent analogy for sfair! LOL. Well, not necessarily Demeanor. (Thank goodness, he'd have a field day with idiots like me trying to waddle through this crap with him patiently telling me what to do!)
Romans, you're good at armchair doctoring as well so don't sell yourself short. Have a good week ahead and God Bless.
Advertisement