Exhaust studs - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 800

Old 11-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
Yammadof

So Phil, have you tried some penetrating spray / soak / leave a couple of hours..repeat...and then tried to loosen one of the studs? If it doesn't move at all...then using heat may be the next option before resorting to cold hard cash.....can you post a pic of that rear bolt?

Dave
Yammadof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Phil in Maine

Garage

I decided to leave them be for now. Actually today I got the bike ready for winter. Since for the forseable future it really won't break much above 40 degrees.

As far as the bolts, the rear ones seem like they will come off somewhat easily when I decide to deal with them. After playing with them the other night they actually got slightly loose and I needed to tighten them today. The rusted OEM ones look like trouble. They really look like they will strip out before they sheer.

I am learning to pick my battles, and not create issues.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

If going to be setting for awhile, maybe good time to spray them with penetrating oil every couple days. Do this for a couple weeks and you should have no problem getting them out when, and if the times comes.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
If going to be setting for awhile, maybe good time to spray them with penetrating oil every couple days. Do this for a couple weeks and you should have no problem getting them out when, and if the times comes.
That's a good idea Rick. I've never had the patience for this but like they say patience is a virtue. I'll do that next time with something I just don't want to tackle right away since it will help me with procrastinating in doing it.
Advertisement