Balancing Beads - Page 5 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Wheels and Tires

Old 11-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #41
Comanche

Garage

Just noticed this post and I sell Counteract Balancing Beads with my usual bike services. Some of you already know they work so for those who doubt I can give you the right information so you can see for yourself. It is recommended that if you have weights to remove those and then install the beads. This is just to discourage those thinking of trying to use both with the faulty logic that using both is the best option.

Last edited by Comanche; 11-17-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #42
R-man
Top Contributor

I noticed my old post, that I would post back. I have about 5,000 miles on the tires now with the beads and they have worked great. My tires have tubes, no problems have surfaced and the tires ride very smooth and appear to be wearing fine.
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
R-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #43
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-man View Post
I noticed my old post, that I would post back. I have about 5,000 miles on the tires now with the beads and they have worked great. My tires have tubes, no problems have surfaced and the tires ride very smooth and appear to be wearing fine.
R-Man, glad all is well and they DO WORK! There is a special coating on Counteract Beads that allow them to stay in place longer and better than the other beads on the market once the wheel gets balanced. Ride safe.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #44
R-man
Top Contributor

Comanche, how are they for getting through the valve stem when you put them in the tire or tube ?
Passenger armrests
Old 11-18-2012, 12:10 PM   #45
1barron

Hi I have two questions; Does using the beads effect the tire warranty, How much do they cost? I currently have Metzler 880s on my 07 Mean Streak.

“Not all those who wander are lost.” Tolkien
1barron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #46
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1barron View Post
Hi I have two questions; Does using the beads effect the tire warranty, How much do they cost? I currently have Metzler 880s on my 07 Mean Streak.
@1Barron: Some tire manufacturers are old-fashioned and out of touch when it comes to weight balancing so in those cases they will void the warranty for just about anything except looking at your tires so just check first to ensure they will not void your warranty. The operative word here is "SOME" and not ALL.

However, all major motorcycle tire manufacturers only mention references to liquid sealants used inside of tires for voiding their warranties and millions of people use the beads. Just check with your particular tire manufacturer or retailer about using Counteract or Dyna Beads in your tires but chances are in your favor that they will still honor the warranty if you use this dual dynamic-static balancing system.

Please NOTE that Counteract or Dyna Beads are NOT recommended for use in track/race tires. The inner liner on those tires is softer and subject to scrubbing wear from the beads particularly with the hard braking that is done during corner entries.

As for cost it averages around $40 standard for a bike (install included) at my shop and goes up from there depending on how much is used or needed. The cost is based on the size of a tire so the larger the tire, having a trike setup or darkside setup will use and cost more.

It costs about the same if you do it yourself and isn't hard to do but the beads are what cost you whether you do it yourself or buy from a dealer like me. However, if you have weights currently in place it will require their removal prior to bead conversion since you can NOT use both balancing systems. I also give extremely competitive pricing based on a person's area dealers but all dealers are required to start at a set retail price mandated by the company and the only additional charges would be labor or extra materials used above that if needed.

@R-Man: There is a relatively inexpensive small clear plastic bottle that is available for purchase and it can be reused indefinitely for future use. It has a long nosed inverse conical shaped tip for inserting the beads into the valve stem and it's very easy to install the beads. A relatively inexpensive special filtering type valve stem is then used in place of the ordinary stem since the new valve stem merely retains the beads inside of the tire. The old valve would get clogged with beads if you keep it in place. You do not have to repurchase and replace the special stem every time you use beads in the future unless it is damaged similar to the normal valves in use that fail and need replacement.

To check pressures simply ensure the stem is at least anywhere from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock position and tap the stem to ensure all beads drop out of the stem area. Once you install the beads they will no longer be visible. They do make a low almost imperceptible sound when you first install and then ride to balance your tires but after that you shouldn't be able to hear them. If you leave a vehicle or bike sitting for a long amount of time the static charge that retains them in place inside of the tire will dissipate and all one has to do is drive the vehicle or bike again to rebalance. Once the beads are in place they are designed to stay in place due to static cling.

Last edited by Comanche; 11-18-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #47
1barron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
@1Barron: Some tire manufacturers are old-fashioned and out of touch when it comes to weight balancing so in those cases they will void the warranty for just about anything except looking at your tires so just check first to ensure they will not void your warranty. The operative word here is "SOME" and not ALL.

However, all major motorcycle tire manufacturers only mention references to liquid sealants used inside of tires for voiding their warranties and millions of people use the beads. Just check with your particular tire manufacturer or retailer about using Counteract or Dyna Beads in your tires but chances are in your favor that they will still honor the warranty if you use this dual dynamic-static balancing system.

Please NOTE that Counteract or Dyna Beads are NOT recommended for use in track/race tires. The inner liner on those tires is softer and subject to scrubbing wear from the beads particularly with the hard braking that is done during corner entries.

As for cost it averages around $40 standard for a bike (install included) at my shop and goes up from there depending on how much is used or needed. The cost is based on the size of a tire so the larger the tire, having a trike setup or darkside setup will use and cost more.

It costs about the same if you do it yourself and isn't hard to do but the beads are what cost you whether you do it yourself or buy from a dealer like me. However, if you have weights currently in place it will require their removal prior to bead conversion since you can NOT use both balancing systems. I also give extremely competitive pricing based on a person's area dealers but all dealers are required to start at a set retail price mandated by the company and the only additional charges would be labor or extra materials used above that if needed.

@R-Man: There is a relatively inexpensive small clear plastic bottle that is available for purchase and it can be reused indefinitely for future use. It has a long nosed inverse conical shaped tip for inserting the beads into the valve stem and it's very easy to install the beads. A relatively inexpensive special filtering type valve stem is then used in place of the ordinary stem since the new valve stem merely retains the beads inside of the tire. The old valve would get clogged with beads if you keep it in place. You do not have to repurchase and replace the special stem every time you use beads in the future unless it is damaged similar to the normal valves in use that fail and need replacement.

To check pressures simply ensure the stem is at least anywhere from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock position and tap the stem to ensure all beads drop out of the stem area. Once you install the beads they will no longer be visible. They do make a low almost imperceptible sound when you first install and then ride to balance your tires but after that you shouldn't be able to hear them. If you leave a vehicle or bike sitting for a long amount of time the static charge that retains them in place inside of the tire will dissipate and all one has to do is drive the vehicle or bike again to rebalance. Once the beads are in place they are designed to stay in place due to static cling.
Humm that sounds like I will have to break the tire to replace the valve stem?

“Not all those who wander are lost.” Tolkien
1barron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #48
R-man
Top Contributor

Got it on the static charge holding them in place. I didn't know that - thought it must be some sort of semi-liquid or something and thought it would be hard getting it to flow thru the valve stem. Makes sense now.
Passenger armrests
Old 11-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #49
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1barron View Post
Humm that sounds like I will have to break the tire to replace the valve stem?
1Barron, you don't even have to "break" the tire to install the new special filtering stem. All you do is remove and replace like a regular stem so it makes conversion really fast and easy.

Please NOTE that this is a "DRY-BASED" balancing system so NO LIQUID SEALANTS OF ANY KIND ARE USED or the beads will just clump and NOT work. Therefore, if a person already has liquid sealants inside of their tires they will have to clean them out thoroughly and thus requiring you to "break" the tire.

Last edited by Comanche; 11-19-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #50
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-man View Post
Got it on the static charge holding them in place. I didn't know that - thought it must be some sort of semi-liquid or something and thought it would be hard getting it to flow thru the valve stem. Makes sense now.
R-Man, you are right; it is easy. Just pour the beads in slowly and by the recommended amount for the size of tires you have. There are set amounts in ounces per tire. A full installation kit (per tire) includes the beads, bottle and filtering stem.
Advertisement