Can't get my baffles out - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
Degreaser
Banned

Have a look here below at this link.

http://www.smartpartz.com/baffles.html

It says they lower decibels 6-12db but I am guessing that even 6db would be maximum on them, they would help a bit but your pipes would still be in the 98db range which is still loud. If they do lower by 12db then all the better. The other option would be to reinstall the quiet stock pipes, which I did but went back to loud pipes again because I could not stand the quiet pipes, too quiet for me to hear when to shift gears, I shift gears by sound of the pipes. You might try those Hard Kore Quiet baffles but try to live with the sound you get. A 6db decrease is not all that much but it's worth a try.
Degreaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
Doc8427

I have a set of those on order, but I have my doubts they will work as well as advertised. 6 db is a HUGE difference. Decibels work on a logarithmic scale, so every 3 db's is a doubling of the noise (23 db is twice as loud as 20 db. 30 db is 10 times as loud as 20 db, and 40 db is 100 times louder than 20 db).

If I get the full 12 db, that would put me around 91-92 db, but I seriously doubt I'll get that much reduction. 6db would be great, that would put me at 97 - which is way more tolerable. I would love to be around 95 db or less. anything over 95 -96 for prolonged periods will give you permanent hearing damage.

Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degreaser View Post
Have a look here below at this link.

http://www.smartpartz.com/baffles.html

It says they lower decibels 6-12db but I am guessing that even 6db would be maximum on them, they would help a bit but your pipes would still be in the 98db range which is still loud. If they do lower by 12db then all the better. The other option would be to reinstall the quiet stock pipes, which I did but went back to loud pipes again because I could not stand the quiet pipes, too quiet for me to hear when to shift gears, I shift gears by sound of the pipes. You might try those Hard Kore Quiet baffles but try to live with the sound you get. A 6db decrease is not all that much but it's worth a try.

Hell is where they cops are German, the cooks are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it's all organized by the Italians.

Last edited by Doc8427; 11-17-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Doc8427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Infinite_Day

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degreaser View Post
Just to repeat something about baffles, as you attempt to decrease decibel noise level with more restrictive baffles, you increase exhaust backpressure, which changes the air/fuel mixture ratio on the cylinders.
I could be wrong on this but since he didn't change his intake he's not pulling more air into the motor. Yes, there's less back pressure and adding baffles will increase the back pressure but the stock pipes were way more restrictive to begin with. All adding more baffling will do is put things closer to the stock pipes in that regard.

The Hard Kore baffles are supposed to help with decel popping as well. I'm hoping for that when I eventually buy them. I don't mind the sound at idle. I'm hoping to cut the db's down at higher rpms which the Hard Kore's are also supposed to help with. Let me know how yours work when you get them.
Advertisement