OEM rear tire ...squirrely - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-17-2012, 04:01 AM   #21
Lone Star

Default Opinions and advice

Gday people. A little advice and some opinions required here.
Firstly, if there is a thread already on this, can someone link me.

Problem is, I have OEM Dunlop tyres and they are buggered after 10,000klms.
So do I replace with original (180/70) size or do I go 200/70 ?
I know the argument for staying original.
Mr. Kawasaki knew what he was doing putting the 180/70's on.
But I like the idea of going a little wider and therefore, a little higher with the 200/70's.
I have seen both tyres side by side in the shop.
What is concerning me a little, is that the Pirellis 200/70's are quite a bit 'flatter' on the contact patch.
So, they will be a little more work to tip into the corners, yes?

As you know, the 900 is a beautifully balanced bike that IMO, corners like a dream. I don't want to stuff that up by putting flatter tyres on, just to make it look better.
Will cornering be that much different?
I understand the whole bigger circumference thing with speedo and road speed. No problem for me there.

I guess what I am after is some opinions on should I go the bigger tyre? Is it worth it? Is it best not to?
Am I being too pedantic?
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 04:25 AM   #22
Lone Star

OK. So I have just found and read through the tires and wheels section.
I thinking I might steer away from the 200's.
Would still be interested in your thoughts anyways
Old 11-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #23
KawaVulcan

Like you Lone Star, I kicked around this same problem for a couple of weeks. I really liked the look of the 200/70 tire, but my problem with going to this tire was the price jump. I finally decided that it was not worth the extra $75-$100 for a look (that you can only see when the bike is sitting still). I mean, it's only 2cm wider (1cm on each side). Now if I was really going to spend the money on a 'cool look', I'd get a 240 tire kit!

Getting back to brands, I don't recommend getting another set of Dunlop's. I bought Pirelli Night Dragon's, have put about 1000 miles on them and really like them. The bike feels more secure when cornering and I have heard the they have great tread wear. I went with a 90/90-21" on the front to have a wider 'grip patch' in the front. I think it has improved front-end handling, but the tire barely fits under the fender though! Anyway, that's my two cents about tires. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Saddlemen Drifter Slant Saddlebags
Cobra Speedster Shorts
Cobra Fi2000
Cobra Tach
KawaVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #24
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

Lone star, as far as the tire looking like it has a flatter tread, the last tires I bought for mine looked like the rear had a much flatter tread, until I mounted it, then it rounded out just like all the others I've had. Tried a set of Contimiles this last time. Road great, but didnt last any time at all. Rear was gone in less than 5,000 miles! I've always thought the widest tire tat fits without any problems is best because of the extra contact patch available for grip. but like everything else in life, there are always exceptions. If you are ok with the price difference, would hurt to try it, after all, in a year be time to replace the tire anyway and you can always go back to stock. That is if you ride much. Be nice if you knew someone how has the wider tire on theres that would let you ride for an hour or so to see what you think before you buy.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #25
Bluecruiser

Lone Star

To be perfectly honest I did not notice any difference in handling when going to the larger Metzelers. I do get more mileage out the Metz and of course a new rear tire does not skid out like a worn out Dunlop.

Some people say they notice a great improvement in handling. Maybe they ride more aggressively. I can get 12 -14 k out a set of Metzelers compared to less than 10 on stock Dunlops.
Oxford, MI
VROC 25948
Bluecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #26
Lone Star

thanks fellas. I'm still not convinced either way. I'll see how I feel when it comes to the day of parting with the coin. One side of me says; if it aint broke, dont fix it. (Thats the sensible side of me) The other side says; if they fit, fit' em on. (That's the 'hang the expense & lifes too short to worry' side of me)
I'll see what happens.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #27
crazyj
Lifetime Premium

Not much to think about (other than the $$), IMHO the Dunlops verge on dangerous. I changed mine to a Metz 880 immediately when I bought my bike with 4K miles. Huge difference in stability and handling.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #28
mopar44

Default Michelin got it right

Hi. Michelin Commander II.Best tire I have run on my 900. 170/80-15 rear is wider than any 180/70-15.I put new pair on then after 2k miles local ran down to NC out to Cal to Vegas to Denver to Sturgis then back home.Got 14k miles on them now.Bought them on ebay.I mount & balance my own.Try them you will like the ride,handling,braking,and mileage.
mopar44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #29
Comanche

Garage

I've never liked Dunlop tires myself whether on a bike, car, truck or anything else. That's just me though. To each his own with tires but it's good to know this info based on everyone's experience.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #30
RoyVN900

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar44 View Post
Hi. Michelin Commander II.Best tire I have run on my 900. 170/80-15 rear is wider than any 180/70-15.I put new pair on then after 2k miles local ran down to NC out to Cal to Vegas to Denver to Sturgis then back home.Got 14k miles on them now.Bought them on ebay.I mount & balance my own.Try them you will like the ride,handling,braking,and mileage.
Hey Mopar that sounds like a nice bunch of riding you did but your signature doesn't say what your ride is? I enjoy long distance riding as well. Is there a post somewhere on this forum about your experiences? I certainly would like to hear more!
Lindby Multi bar with Kury Silver Bullets
Kawi Light Bar w/55watt bulbs
Kury PowerPoint
Kury Brake Light Kit
ISO-Grips W/Throttle Boss
VistaCruise Throttle lock
LeatherLyke Hard Bags
Pirelli MT66 W/Dynabeads
RoyVN900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement