Can't get my baffles out - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Doc8427

Default Can't get my baffles out

Need some ideas here. I want to take the baffles out of my RoadBurner pipes and pack them with some fiberglass pads around the outside. Trying to quiet them down a bit, they are just way to loud and harsh right now.

I've taken the screw out that holds them in, but they are really stuck in there. Anyone have any ideas how I can get them out? I have a slide hammer, but there is noting in the pipes I can grab on to.

Figure I can't be the first guy to have this problem (though the search was not much help) so any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Doc
Doc8427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
chi-rider

Garage

Are the baffles perforated with a llot of small holes. I pulled mine out of a set of Cobras using a bent coat hanger and a good spray of WD 40. Bend the hanger to make a short hook. Then try to get it into one of the holes inside the baffle and u should b able t pull it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Baron Crash Bars
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn ISO Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Mini Silver bullet brake lights
Scoot Works Phat Riser II's
Arlen Ness Scalloped Big Sucker
V&H Pro Pipe
V&H Fuelpak
Saddlemen Profiler seat
Barnet and Galfer Stainless control cables
Cobra Passenger floorboards and bag supports
Chilhowee Leather bags
American Biker Tool bag
Chrome Breather filter
chi-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Doc8427

Yes they are perforated, but the opening are rather small. I'll give that a try but I'm not sure the coat hanger will be strong enough to hold on. Worth a try though, thanks!

doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-rider View Post
Are the baffles perforated with a llot of small holes. I pulled mine out of a set of Cobras using a bent coat hanger and a good spray of WD 40. Bend the hanger to make a short hook. Then try to get it into one of the holes inside the baffle and u should b able t pull it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-14-2012, 02:45 AM   #4
Vulcanrules
Premium Member

Try a metal file. The file edges give it bite. Most are tapered so you can tap them gently into the pipe. Or just insert until snug then put lateral pressure on them. Either way just give em a twist with pliers to break the pipe free.

Try different file coarsenesses too.

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle
Vulcanrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Doc8427

Default Got 'em out!

Here is my handy dandy baffle removal tool:

It's a 2 1/2 foot 7/16th threaded bar, with a 2" metal wedge on the end. I inserted this into the pipes and wedged it into the baffle. I then turned the screw counter clockwise to tighten the single bolt and make the metal wedge more vertical. The put the wood up against the pipe and tightened the bolt. After 8 or 9 turns the baffle popped loose.

Now the real problem I have is the baffles themselves. It appears these baffles are part of the actual exhaust tube, so finding replacement baffles will be tricky. These road burner pipes are dual radius, and there seems to be an "open" section that this baffle covers.

The baffles are also solid, so I'm not going to be able to wrap them to quiet them down at all:

Looking at the baffles, they are not like traditional baffles at all, there are no holes in them, the look more like shelves, which is why I could not get a grip with a hook or a slide hammer:

Hell is where they cops are German, the cooks are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it's all organized by the Italians.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
Infinite_Day

Garage

Didn't you say RoadBurner is the same company as SmartPartz? Why don't you see if SmartPartz has a set of Hard Kore baffles that will work with those pipes. That's what I intend to buy this winter to quite down my Cobra Dragsters. It will cost you a bit more money but may be the only option.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
Degreaser
Banned

My previous V&H Longshots were 106db, so I tried modifying the baffle noise by having another extra baffle that was same size cut in half, and both halves added to the fronts of the V&H Longshots baffles making it a baffle + a half baffle into each pipe, but that ended up causing a permanent burn stain I could not remove near the front header pipe and the pipes were ruined. I gave those pipes away and now I have Cobra Dragsters. They started out also in the 105db range so I removed those Cobra baffles and installed Cobra Quiet Core baffles which are still on the bike now and a picture below, those Cobra Quiet Core baffles decreased the db of the pipes to be about 99db but they are still loud. But after installing the Quiet Core I ran into a problem with increased exhaust backpressure causing an overly fuel rich condition and excessive backfiring thru the exhaust pipes at bike shut off. I bought a Gunson Colortune plug kit from the UK off ebay and then proceeded to adjust my carb pilot air screw to compensate for the overly rich fuel condition. I have it set just right now but it was a real pain to get it right with those Quiet Core baffles and just a slight decrease in decibels. The Cobra Dragsters with Quiet Core baffles are still loud. I have found that there is nothing really available between the very quiet stock pipes and the high decibels loud aftermarket pipes. And when trying to get something to be acceptable by modifying baffles, it causes a increase in exhaust backpressure and messes up the air/fuel mixture ratio. You really only have 2 choices since nothing out there is made to give you that nice sound in exhaust yet not loud. The 2 choices are, live with the loud pipes, or reinstall the stock pipes if you don't like it that loud. Because I think the ideal decibel level is around 90db and lower and there is nothing on the market that is made to give that low a number. I am just pulling 90db out of my head because I think my Quiet Core is 99db and look at the picture below and see how restrictive they are, anything more restrictive than these baffles and it would cut off the exhaust flow completely. Packing the outside of the baffles will still not lower the db level enough to be satifying. I think by packing the area around the baffle does absolutely nothing to lower the db level. There is a solid blocking plate on the inside of the baffle at that weld mark in the picture below, the exhaust flow goes in then forced to go outside the baffle then is forced back inside again, and then the flow hits that end blockage and is forced outside the baffle again.

Last edited by Degreaser; 11-17-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Degreaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Doc8427

RoadBurner is Hard Krome - which is DG Performance. I did buy a set of SmartPartz, waiting for them to arrive. I doubt they will quiet them down enough though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_Day View Post
Didn't you say RoadBurner is the same company as SmartPartz? Why don't you see if SmartPartz has a set of Hard Kore baffles that will work with those pipes. That's what I intend to buy this winter to quite down my Cobra Dragsters. It will cost you a bit more money but may be the only option.

Hell is where they cops are German, the cooks are British, the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it's all organized by the Italians.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Degreaser
Banned

Just to repeat something about baffles, as you attempt to decrease decibel noise level with more restrictive baffles, you increase exhaust backpressure, which changes the air/fuel mixture ratio on the cylinders.
Degreaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Doc8427

Yeah, but I figure I made no changes to A/F when I went from Stock to After Market, so I should be able to restrict these a bit more without too much impact. 103 DB is way too loud. If I can't quiet them down to 90 or 95 they may be on sale here!

Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degreaser View Post
Just to repeat something about baffles, as you attempt to decrease decibel noise level with more restrictive baffles, you increase exhaust backpressure, which changes the air/fuel mixture ratio on the cylinders.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement