How high can you go? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 800

Old 11-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
chi
Premium Member

Garage

Is that the 4" set or did you shorten it down to 3-3.5"? Saw you were gonna make a shorter set and wasn't sure if you want to sell the other, I was looking to go 5 or 6 but wasn't sure about it... but they look pretty good so far
chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #12
Timb4302

I kept these at 4 inches forward and 1 inch out. They are awesome! I have about $50 in materials making them. Another $10 after I spray bomb them

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Timb4302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
WhiskeySix

With stock risers and cables, the most you can do is a 10" mini-ape:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySix View Post
I put 10" Santee Miniapes on my 800 classic. The throttle and brake cables have lot's of slack - imagine they'd probably be fine on 14"!

On the other hand, the stock clutch cable just makes it if you reroute it behind the triple-tree. Anything more than a 10" bar and you're gonna need a new clutch cable.

WhiskeySix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #14
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

WiskeySix, are those bars narrower than the stock bars? Narrower would allow more hieght I would think. When I put the 4" up 1" foward risers on mine, the front brake hose was my limiting factor, had to reroute it in front of the tree.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #15
Comanche

Garage

Whiskey, what type of rear lights and how did you mount them? Can you post closeup shots and an explanation if the shots are insufficient to show well how they mount? Just wondering since I dislike clutter and like to keep everything tight and streamlined.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #16
WhiskeySix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
WiskeySix, are those bars narrower than the stock bars? Narrower would allow more hieght I would think. When I put the 4" up 1" foward risers on mine, the front brake hose was my limiting factor, had to reroute it in front of the tree.
I think they're about the same width - though I'd have preferred them a little narrower - like the Biltwel Frisco's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
Whiskey, what type of rear lights and how did you mount them? Can you post closeup shots and an explanation if the shots are insufficient to show well how they mount? Just wondering since I dislike clutter and like to keep everything tight and streamlined.

I took the lights off this plate-mount:
http://goo.gl/SCw6m

I then just made little L-brackets out of some $3 aluminum I got from home depot. one side screws under the seat-springs, and the other into the light.

The real trick is getting them to work right though. Easiest way is to use a trailer-light converter. I used this one: http://goo.gl/PWdyr

Don't have one of them mounted, but here's one of when I was making the brackets:

(nice thing about aluminum [in addition to the fact that it's cheap and in-stock at HD] is that it's so easy to bend/drill/dremel/shape )

Last edited by WhiskeySix; 11-18-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
chi
Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
With stock risers and cables, the most you can do is a 10" mini-ape:
Nice bike you got there Whiskey I'm torn between some low end Khrome Works mini apes and some Wild 1 Outlaws, probably go with the cheaper in case I do need wires and I have a few other things I have on my wish list right now just to see how I like them. My buddy has some 16" on his HD soft tail he will trade on if I wanna go bigger

Sent from my Nexus S using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #18
WhiskeySix

Thanks. They're made by Santee - black, pre-drilled for internal wiring, and inexpensive:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/500-938
Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #19
chi
Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Thanks. They're made by Santee - black, pre-drilled for internal wiring, and inexpensive:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/500-938
thanks i checked up on them after you said they were santee they are half the price of the khrome works, probably gonna order a chrome set this week so i can swap everything out in the next week or two
Old 05-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #20
chi
Premium Member

Garage

Finally got around to replacing my bars, went with 12" Khrome Works mini apes and a +6" clutch cable. I had to reroute the throttle cables behind the trees, brake line from under trees to in front and the electrical on the clutch side instead of leaving it running through the frame I took off the tank and rerouted on top of the spine but under the tank and fits great. Thanks for all the insight and suggestions!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement