Need rear brake cable - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 800

Old 11-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
knightrider

Default Need rear brake cable

I tried and failed to lube the cable with a tool I got from the shop. Its sticking and thats never a good thing. Does anyone have a working one sitting around the garage? its for a 98 vulcan classic 800vn
knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider View Post
I tried and failed to lube the cable with a tool I got from the shop. Its sticking and thats never a good thing. Does anyone have a working one sitting around the garage? its for a 98 vulcan classic 800vn
Did you make sure anything isn't bent or chafed first? What about taking it all the way off and giving it a good thorough cleaning before resigning yourself to replace it? Post back what you find out and fix.
Old 11-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
knightrider

Comanche, on your advise I tore it all apart. A few curse words later, it was sitting in my hand. It does not have movement at all between the cable and rubber housing. I got it to move about one inch and could see the cable is rusted, but with all my might thats as far as I could pull it. I had bought the lube tool previously and even with a good dousing its still not moving off the bike.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Get some penetrating oil and soak it and work it and it may break free then lube it up with the tool. If it has that much rust then there is not room for the lube either. It my just be a temp fix. It hard to tell how much of the cable has rotted away.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Phil in Maine

Garage

Well a new OEM brake cable is 32 bucks on procaliber. I say buy a new one and eliminate the hassle and headaches.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
knightrider

Yea, Thats what I'm planning on doing. There is too much rust in it. So much that it was causing the rod to cable mate to bend something aweful when the brake spring was trying to retract.
It's weird, it looks like a relatively new assy. But, it sat for a year before I bought it, and i let it sit 2 months between bringing it back to life and my new found problems. Bikes are weird people..
Old 11-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Phil in Maine

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Maine View Post
Well a new OEM brake cable is 32 bucks on procaliber. I say buy a new one and eliminate the hassle and headaches.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
http://www.procaliber.com/partstream...C17C1717F25402

Problem solved. Though I am guessing if the rear brake cable is that seized up then you most likely have some other "maintenance" issues as well. Did you just get the bike?
Old 11-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Phil in Maine

Garage

Quote:
Yea, Thats what I'm planning on doing. There is too much rust in it. So much that it was causing the rod to cable mate to bend something aweful when the brake spring was trying to retract.
It's weird, it looks like a relatively new assy. But, it sat for a year before I bought it, and i let it sit 2 months between bringing it back to life and my new found problems. Bikes are weird people..
I guess I would bookmark their set then. They have good readable fisches and their prices are the lowest I have seen. I ordered a new fuel tank from them with new cap and petcock. They answered my emails quickly and seemed easy to deal with.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
knightrider

I've had it for about 6 months. the brake pads on the rear look good (according to the pad indicator). When not attached the back brake arm moves freely. I had to go out of town for 2 months when I came back this was happening and it was leaking gas. But, since I've had the cable assy off I've realized it was always happening, as the bike moves a lot free'er now ( im new to cruisers, nothing to compare it to) I fixed the leak, but brake problem persisted. I only noticed it was off when the wheel was almost to a complete stop after riding it when i got it out of mothballs. With me on it, a friend pulling the arm, the brake works and retracts just fine.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Roger that, KnightRider. If it's not repairable just replace.
Advertisement