What fits from 900 classic to custom? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 11-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
doubleminded

Default What fits from 900 classic to custom?

I have a 2011 blacked out 900 custom.I of course love it.But my wife says the short back pad is too short, and the rear seat is almost not even there.I expect i will be buying a mustang seat, but will a taller sissybar and back pad from a regular vulcan fit? To me it ruins the look of why I bought the bike, but she is my wife,so got to compromise somehow.have any of you known a person that bought the butty buddy? it looks like one possible solution for the seat.
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

A wider seat is probably the solution. That 900 custom rear seat has one goal and one goal only- looks. It wasn't designed to be comfy!

Eyeballing it, it looks like the 900 Classic and Custom use the same fender rails. So, if that's the case, then the 900 Classic LT backrest should fit. You might need the entire assembly (including the sissy bar rails) in order for that to work though.

There are a few brands of quick release backrests. Why not nab one of those? It'll be cheaper than the OEM backrest anyway. Then, when your wife isn't going for a ride, you can pop the sissy bar right off! The seat comes on and off with a key super easy too so, if you really wanted to, you could swap between the mustang seat and the OEM seat for solo rides.

I've heard good things about the butt buddy, but the 900 OEM seat (custom or classic) is awful. Poor shape, poor construction, you name it. I really think, of comfort is a concern, an aftermarket seat is the way to go. Mustang, Corbin, Russel, etc. You could try a Kawasaki gel seat, but those that have used it don't seem to think it's really all that much better (some have liked it though).

Food for thought, but, I wasted a bunch of money trying to get my stock seat to work. Cushions, pads, airhawks, bead seat covers, you name it. Finally I just broke down and spend the big bucks on the Mustang seat. Was an excellent decision, and one I should have made long ago. It isn't as 'purty' I suppose, but it is very comfy. The one I have has a removable backrest. Though, it's never been removed!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
doubleminded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
A wider seat is probably the solution. That 900 custom rear seat has one goal and one goal only- looks. It wasn't designed to be comfy!

Eyeballing it, it looks like the 900 Classic and Custom use the same fender rails. So, if that's the case, then the 900 Classic LT backrest should fit. You might need the entire assembly (including the sissy bar rails) in order for that to work though.

There are a few brands of quick release backrests. Why not nab one of those? It'll be cheaper than the OEM backrest anyway. Then, when your wife isn't going for a ride, you can pop the sissy bar right off! The seat comes on and off with a key super easy too so, if you really wanted to, you could swap between the mustang seat and the OEM seat for solo rides.

I've heard good things about the butt buddy, but the 900 OEM seat (custom or classic) is awful. Poor shape, poor construction, you name it. I really think, of comfort is a concern, an aftermarket seat is the way to go. Mustang, Corbin, Russel, etc. You could try a Kawasaki gel seat, but those that have used it don't seem to think it's really all that much better (some have liked it though).

Food for thought, but, I wasted a bunch of money trying to get my stock seat to work. Cushions, pads, airhawks, bead seat covers, you name it. Finally I just broke down and spend the big bucks on the Mustang seat. Was an excellent decision, and one I should have made long ago. It isn't as 'purty' I suppose, but it is very comfy. The one I have has a removable backrest. Though, it's never been removed!
Thanks,most likely I will get the mustang,because i need comfort too.Also, i have been a member of cma since 2001.there is no chapter in denton texas.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminded View Post
Thanks,most likely I will get the mustang,because i need comfort too.Also, i have been a member of cma since 2001.there is no chapter in denton texas.
You might find a chapter in a neighboring community. There is a chapter in Gainesville Texas, and perhaps one even closer. My chapter is 'based' about 30 minutes away. Gives me an excuse to ride a little more. Wouldn't hurt to call the area rep too, they might tell you of a chapter that meets closer to you.

You'll like the Mustang seat. Well, I did at least. Every once in a while someone will report not liking it but, it's quite comfortable for me. I still get a little stiff in the rear on a long ride but, I can ride all day so in my book, it was a good investment.

Keep the shiny side up!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement