Cleaning products and tips - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 11-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
Lunatic
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I like Turtle Wax chrome polish on the chrome goodies and Mguires on painted surfaces. Both work great.

The only problem I have is the dang windshield. It's always covered in bugs. I've never found anything that will really remedy that. I usually take it down to the car wash and nail it with the pressure washer and soap, but even then I can't seem to get them all off.
I haven't tried this myself, but my mother swears by Baby Oil. And how could Mom possibly be wrong?
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I haven't tried this myself, but my mother swears by Baby Oil. And how could Mom possibly be wrong?
Well heck, I'll give it a try!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #23
Bill Braske
Top Contributor

I like Maguiar's wash & wax for washing, and Mother's Brazilian Caranuba (it's Brazilian!) wax for my twice a year "detailing".

My favorite part is the drying off, though. If it doesn't get dry at 70, I just have to go 80.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #24
smedlin
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Rider View Post
Pledge is widely used in the bike world. It's just a cleaner that works great and is cheap.
I forget where I read it, but the ingredients in pledge has changed.

There was even an article about it, where some guy directly asked somebody over at "pledge" and the guy admitted it changed and people should probably not be using it on paint..

2004 Vulcan 2000
smedlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #25
george james

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedlin View Post

There was even an article about it, where some guy directly asked somebody over at "pledge" and the guy admitted it changed and people should probably not be using it on paint..
Was on one of the forums recently and the understanding i got was "do not use on your bike"
Old 11-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #26
chi
Premium Member

Garage

"Baby oil" is a Polish remedy and works great on shower doors too it gets soap scum off great

Sent from my Nexus S using Motorcycle.com Free App
chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #27
Ghost

I use Maguire's Motorcycle Detail Spray and microfiber towels. And that's it. Used it exclusively on my 900 Custom for almost 4 years. Got plenty of people asking how I kept it so clean. Now I use it on my Nomad. Easy off is great for getting the melted stuff off of the exhaust.
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Vulcan Emblem on Passenger Back Rest
Fire and Steel Light Bar
Signal Dynamics Headlight Modulator
Wolo Bad Boy Horn
Kuryakyn Power Point
Back Off XP Brake Light Modulator

08 900 Custom - Traded in!
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #28
MN-Rider
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedlin View Post

I have seen this mentioned in a ton of forums too so I emailed SC Johnson for an answer. They said the only thing they changed was the propellant going to a 100% natural propellant. The Pledge formula is unchanged.

Here is their entire reply:

It's great to hear you've come to rely on Pledge® Lemon Clean Furniture Spray to keep your motorcycles looking their best and we appreciate the opportunity to help.

To answer your questions, we did make some recent changes to Pledge® – we replaced the propellant in all our cans with a 100% natural propellant in an effort to reduce or impact on the environment and help protect our planet for future generations.

However, I'm pleased to share, we'd still expect the same great results you've come to know and enjoy. And while we don't recommend using Pledge® on the painted exteriors of cars/trucks/cycles (due to varying paint types and qualities), we wouldn't anticipate any problems using it on motorcycle chrome, steel trim, wheels, rims, leather and interior dashboards.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion, J S. If you have further questions or concerns about our products, please know we're here for you.

Thanks for choosing Pledge® – we look forward to keeping your cycles looking their best for years to come!

Jill
Consumer Relationship Center
SC Johnson, A Family Company

USA 1-800-558-5252 | scjohnson.com
Canada 1-800-558-5566 | scjohnson.ca
MN-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #29
tang56

I like S100 spray wash and wax!!
tang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #30
amsiegel

For really nasty and greasy parts (engine covers, wheels). I use krud kutter.
I had some in the house and check their web site and it is safe for aluminum and chrome. They recommend a 1 to 10-20 mix with water for aluminum and chrome.
I mixed up some and sprayed my engine covers which had not been cleaned in years (I just got the bike) and you could see the grim just slide off. Same thing with the wheels and other parts. Plus it is biodegradable and safe.

You can find it at Home Depot and Lowes in paint department
amsiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement