Hello from H-Town - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > New Member Section > New Member Introductions

Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
smedlin
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragincajun View Post
Northeast part of county, Atascocita area.
I'm down south of Houston..

2004 Vulcan 2000
smedlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
ragincajun

I went to take a look at it this morning. The bike looks ok and rode well. However...

I'm leaning on passing on it. There was surface rust on the entire bike. Nothing appeared to be completely through the chrome but it was 100% rusted all over with surface rust. Mother's may get most off but that shows some neglect of upkeep that worries me about what I can't see. Would definitely need a new front tire. One of the fog lights on the front came off and they lost the bolt (but have the light) so that would need replacing. Turn signals have been removed for the foglights so don't have any. Not sure that's even road legal but that's just another issue.

Funny thing, I stopped at a V-Twin repair shop between the seller's and my house and met the owner/mechanic. Had a good talk with him about this bike (above) and turns out he has an older client that wants to sell his Nomad which is a 1600. So the shop owner is going to pick up the bike next week to do some maintenance on it and call me to come look at it. He'll also see what the owner wants for it. Per the shop owner, the bike is original owner who is in his 80's now and just can't keep the bike upright anymore so want's to sell it instead of have it sit around. He also said the owner is the type of guy who rides it around the neighborhood and then brings it in to get the carburetor rebuilt to ensure it's pristine. He's done all the service to the bike so that is good news I suppose. We'll see what it looks like and what kind of deal he wants to make next week maybe.
ragincajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
ragincajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedlin View Post
I'm down south of Houston..
Maybe if I end up getting another ride we can hook up. I'm down that way quite a bit with work but don't enjoy riding a bike that direction...lol.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
I went to take a look at it this morning. The bike looks ok and rode well. However...

I'm leaning on passing on it. There was surface rust on the entire bike. Nothing appeared to be completely through the chrome but it was 100% rusted all over with surface rust. Mother's may get most off but that shows some neglect of upkeep that worries me about what I can't see. Would definitely need a new front tire. One of the fog lights on the front came off and they lost the bolt (but have the light) so that would need replacing. Turn signals have been removed for the foglights so don't have any. Not sure that's even road legal but that's just another issue.

Funny thing, I stopped at a V-Twin repair shop between the seller's and my house and met the owner/mechanic. Had a good talk with him about this bike (above) and turns out he has an older client that wants to sell his Nomad which is a 1600. So the shop owner is going to pick up the bike next week to do some maintenance on it and call me to come look at it. He'll also see what the owner wants for it. Per the shop owner, the bike is original owner who is in his 80's now and just can't keep the bike upright anymore so want's to sell it instead of have it sit around. He also said the owner is the type of guy who rides it around the neighborhood and then brings it in to get the carburetor rebuilt to ensure it's pristine. He's done all the service to the bike so that is good news I suppose. We'll see what it looks like and what kind of deal he wants to make next week maybe.
I did not think the 1600 had carbs. I thought they were all FI.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
ragincajun

The shop owner was talking off the top of his head. Maybe he was just making the point that the owner/seller does all the small upkeep on a constant basis. Or maybe he's full of it...lol. We'll see though when he gets it in.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

not discrediting the shop but its always best to do ya homework before you go to look at anything. Hope it works out for ya. The 1600 Nomad is a bit high geared for my likings, it feels like it wants to run with ya. But I have not rode one a lot (one of my buddies had one). I am sure it is something I could get used to. I am just used to the way the V2K holds back and I do a lot of mountain twisties and it has me spoiled.
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #17
smedlin
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

It's really sad when a bike as nice looking as that is left to fall into ruins.

Dirty Chrome makes baby Jesus cry.

2004 Vulcan 2000
smedlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #18
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedlin View Post
It's really sad when a bike as nice looking as that is left to fall into ruins.

Dirty Chrome makes baby Jesus cry.
"I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-Shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party."

I really need to lay off the movie quotes. I just can't help my self sometimes.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
ragincajun

SWVA I actually found 2000 down south of here today I think I'm going to go look at it man looks really really nice picture and has a lot of the same features from the 1500 and 1600 that I like well so I'll take a look at it. It will just be a matter of convincing my wife to let me spend a couple of thousand dollars more on that so we'll have to see. Might have to wait until after taxes are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #20
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
SWVA I actually found 2000 down south of here today I think I'm going to go look at it man looks really really nice picture and has a lot of the same features from the 1500 and 1600 that I like well so I'll take a look at it. It will just be a matter of convincing my wife to let me spend a couple of thousand dollars more on that so we'll have to see. Might have to wait until after taxes are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
I herd that. I do not know what your budget is but when I got mine I was looking to buy used and went to a dealer that had a large used selection and sold the 4 metric brands to just sit on as many different bike as I could it one place and they had a left over 08 (I got it in April of this year) and they gave me a good enough deal on it to jump on it. They have a totally different engine than the 15/16/1700's. Its a push rod set up as opposed to a over head cam like the rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement