Turning off the. Bike - Page 5 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #41
oquirrhvulcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPoseur View Post
Didja ever notice how you look around to see how many noticed your dumb mistake? I have done it on the boat, on both bikes, and on tractors I would sometimes leave the PTO on as additional safety, then forget.

I leave things undone when starting, like putting on seatbelt in the car or putting on gloves on the bike. This helps make sure the oil circulates before I go anywhere and put strain on the engine. I learned many years ago to turn on the ignition, let it think a couple of seconds and then start. I wait for the noise to stop on the bike.

Does the elevation at the Grand Canyon make any difference? Or do you already live up that high?
I live just below 5000ft. Elevation was not an issue, I had just bumped the kill switch and failed to notice. By the way I spent the second night of last Springs "Grand Canyon trip" in Kingman. Stayed at the Best Western. I left early to beat the heat. I took a picture of the bike in front of the Big Old Locomotive you folks have parked down there, then followed Route 66 to to the Grand Canyon. That was the hot leg of the trip.

I guess I have strayed away from the context of this post abit. To tie back into the original context the bike started and stopped perfectly through a temperature range of below 32 in Utah to the high 90's in Nevada and Arizona on that 5 day run.

OEM Passenger boards
OEM Windshield Bag
OEM Engine Guard
Windshield Lowers
Phat II risers
Cobra Lightbar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Kury Triple Wammy
Mustang Seat and passenger backrest
oquirrhvulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #42
AZPoseur

Default Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oquirrhvulcan View Post
To tie back into the original context the bike started and stopped perfectly through a temperature range of below 32 in Utah to the high 90's in Nevada and Arizona on that 5 day run.
High 90s? So it wasn't even hot when you were here. We moved here the last day of August 2011. By this year we were already getting used to the heat, to the point I ride my bicycle up that long hill right through the summer.

Did you get a chance to hike in the Grand Canyon? That is the real adventure, the farther down you go the hotter it gets. People die every year. My kids and I have been to the bottom twice. Preparation and common sense go a long ways, just as it does when riding a motorcycle.

The place to see is Supai Village and Havasu Canyon. It is a ten mile hike in but very worth it and worth the cost of admission. My older kids and I did that the end of April.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #43
whiting57
Lifetime Premium

heres what i do, bike in nuetral, kick stand down, key off ... i never use the kill switch, for those who have been riding before electric starts were the norm .... try to push / bump start a bike with the kill switch off, right after you have spent the last half hour kick starting the crap out of it, kinda like turning the fuel petcock off to stop the motor from flooding while sitting ..... yep those were the days.

2009 Classic LT Bagger... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer.

2010 Custom ... Mutazu Luggage, Pirelli 200 Rear, Saddleman Solo Seat, Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Batwing Fairing, Cobra FI2000 Power Pro, freedom performance exhaust
whiting57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement